Scabies outbreak at Elementary School

Scabies outbreak at Elementary School

Posted in the Capac Forum

Scabie Infected

Capac, MI

#1 Nov 9, 2012
Just thought you should know, if you don't already know, the Elementary School has a Scabies outbreak. Our Child has gotten scabies 2 times in the last month, and now everyone in the house has them, and it is a mess. You have to go to a Doctor and get a perscription of a special cream, and place it all over your body, and clean your entire house top to bottom. Capac's answer is, were dealing with it. Great job dealing with it Capac Schools, its been there for well over a month now. Some of the students recieved a letter going home with them concerning the outbreak a couple of weeks ago. Capac Schools has become a joke in my opinion
CigButt

Snover, MI

#2 Nov 9, 2012
Are you serious??
Ron

Utica, MI

#3 Nov 10, 2012
OMG!!! that is gross!
Scabie Infected

Capac, MI

#4 Nov 10, 2012
Sadly, I am serious ... this is not a joke ... Some kids got a letter sent home with them right before Halloween. I understand more and more why some people take their kids out of Capac and go to a different disrict.
Capac Mother

Snover, MI

#5 Nov 11, 2012
I am a little confused by these posts, my child did not bring home a letter from the Elementary school, and by the time I read this no one was answering the phones up at the school.

So is this true? Why would the school send home letters with some kids and not every child??

If this is what has really happened,I am concerned, I do not think that it is fair for the Elementary to drop the ball like that. All of the parents need to be informed of any and all communicable diseases in the school where their children attend.

Geesh!!! What if this was a meningitis outbreak or something, all parents deserve an update Capac Community Schools!!!!
Letter is dated 10_24_12

Capac, MI

#6 Nov 11, 2012
I have a copy of the letter that was sent home with some of the kids at the Elementary Scool. It is dated October 24th 2012 -- Here is what some of it says: "Dear Parent or Guardian, Your child may have been exposed to scabies. Scabies is a disease of the skin caused by burrowing of the scabies mite." Also it says at the bottom that children who have scabies should be excluded from school and/or extracurricular activities until the treatment has been completed. The very bottom says, Sincerely, Kathy Kish, Principal. And stapled to this letter is a pamphlet on Scabies.
Scabie Infected

Capac, MI

#7 Nov 11, 2012
"Capac Mother" if you talk to Capac Schools, I wouldn't be surprised if they said something like, well this is a public building and lots of kids come in and out, and other schools have problems too. Capac, seems like they love to pass the buck ... I can't wait to get our kids out of Capac School. Does anyone know how many kids left the Capac District last couple of years? I heard it was a lot. I also heard, Yale at one time almost had a record high for the state that kids that left home district and went somewhere else.
Capac Mother

Snover, MI

#8 Nov 11, 2012
Scabie Infected wrote:
"Capac Mother" if you talk to Capac Schools, I wouldn't be surprised if they said something like, well this is a public building and lots of kids come in and out, and other schools have problems too. Capac, seems like they love to pass the buck ... I can't wait to get our kids out of Capac School. Does anyone know how many kids left the Capac District last couple of years? I heard it was a lot. I also heard, Yale at one time almost had a record high for the state that kids that left home district and went somewhere else.
Hi, thanks for the info, I totally understand that the school is a public building and lots of kids come in and out etc etc,what I am going to ask is why my child did not get a letter home.

I think that all parents should have gotten the letter, not a select few. Even if the scabies were not in my childs classroom, they may have came into contact with someone that was infected in the lunchroom, or in gym class etc etc.

I think the least the school could do is if they are going to print a letter and pass out pamphlets, get enough for every student to take home to their parents..

You sound like you speak from experience, does this kind of thing happen often??
Capac Mother

Snover, MI

#9 Nov 11, 2012
I am also wondering if they may have only sent home notes to the specific grade or classroom that it had occurred in..

That may be a possibility.

What grade is your child in?
concerned

Farmington, MI

#10 Nov 11, 2012
It should of been sent to every parent. Most children have siblings so it effects all concerned. Why wasn't the school cleaned throughly? If not it will continue to keep happening.
Capac Mother

Snover, MI

#11 Nov 11, 2012
concerned wrote:
It should of been sent to every parent. Most children have siblings so it effects all concerned. Why wasn't the school cleaned throughly? If not it will continue to keep happening.
I totally agree with you, thanks for the input!
Ron

Utica, MI

#13 Nov 12, 2012
Same thing happened when there was a MRSA outbreak, parents were notified way late in the game sporadically. We read about it in the paper before the school notified us. We already moved our kids out, this just shows we made a good decision!
capac

Newaygo, MI

#16 Nov 15, 2012
Has anyone gotten any updates on this situation as of yet?
Capac stinks

Capac, MI

#17 Nov 15, 2012
I got an opinion update: Capac schools is sub-standard, and has poor teachers and administration in my opinion. How many people have left Capac schools the last few years? How bad were Capac Test scores .. bad .. real bad ...
is anything being done

Capac, MI

#18 Nov 29, 2012
I heard (not sure if this is true) that another student was sent home today from the Elementary School with Scabies. Has anyone else heard anything new on this situation?
pat

Tekonsha, MI

#20 Jan 11, 2013
@ scabiies why are you reposting this now this happened over 2 months ago

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Capac Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
will webster (Mar '11) Jun '16 Web 2
Looking for a local doctor May '16 sup 1
Antilla for school board (Nov '14) Apr '16 Parent 4
Keihin Michigan Manufacturing Mar '16 Curious and Need ... 1
Vote For Donald Trump Mar '16 Vote For Trump 1
Trump is the next President, Finally out with t... (Feb '16) Feb '16 the ace of spades 1
Phil(Jason) needs a friend!! (Nov '12) Feb '16 Iljce Ristovski 7

Capac Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Capac Mortgages