Vickers sentenced to 17 years for murder

Nov 17, 2009 Full story: The New Braunfels Herald 22

Three years and 13 days after the Shirley Lindenbaum's death in Canyon Lake, a jury sentenced Janice Vickers, 48, to 17 years in prison on Tuesday.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
disappointed

Canyon Lake, TX

#1 Nov 18, 2009
I do feel for the children of Janice Vickers, however, I am floored that she was only given a sentence of 17 years. This should have been a life sentence, without parole. This woman is cold, violent and unpredictable, and not very smart. Hopefully, the truth will set her free, but PLEASE not in our community.
what ever

Kingman, AZ

#2 Nov 18, 2009
was the trial in mohave county ??
Shameful

Austin, TX

#3 Nov 23, 2009
The light sentence of Janice Vickers after committing a murder is horrifying. Yes, she is a woman, and yes, she is a mother (though her children are not young,) however to think that she will be let out of jail under any circumstances back into our community is horrifying. She should have gotten a life sentence. She lied and lied about what actually happened even when faced with the truth. If she would have been remorseful, I could understand a lighter sentence, but I think that Mrs. Vickers is only sorry she was caught.
Personally concerned

Broken Arrow, OK

#4 Nov 28, 2009
I cant believe how many people are concerned about Miss Vickers being dangerous!! There was no evidence that Mrs Vickers murdered anyone!! Not any!!!! I guess no one listened to the fact that someone had run over the woman before Miss Vickers did. Yes there was other tire marks on the womans clothes! Oh and who calls 911 if they are going to commit 1st degree murder? Unless you personally know this person you have no right to judge!!! No proof at all that for 1st degree murder or manslaughter! Its funny to me how many people run off at the mouth and don't know anything! Yes you have the right to your opinion but thats just what it is an opinion! Trust me I know the facts!!!!!
disappointed

Canyon Lake, TX

#5 Dec 4, 2009
thing is I don't think I am running off at the mouth. I was in the court room for some of the proceedings, and I do know her and one of the kids. She has problems and I hope she can get help while she is incarcerated. I do agree the prosecution failed in one aspect. I think it may have been premeditated, I think the time line and phone calls and where she was and where she claimed to be might lead you to believe that was possible. I think it could have been pressed a little harder to try to prove that point. However, how can any clear minded thinking person not see the evidence to show an obvious cover up after the fact? My gut feeling was that someone else may have helped her, then after hearing the blunders in her statements I changed my mind and decided that she just thought that she wouldn't be questioned because she was a "GOOD" citizen and pillar of the community. She did something off the cuff that was really stupid and sad for all involved. She simply lost it, guess she really thought she needed some money. SO SO SO SAD for Shirley. DON"T FORGET SHIRLEY, no one else ran her over but Janice.
Personally concerned

Broken Arrow, OK

#6 Dec 7, 2009
disappointed wrote:
thing is I don't think I am running off at the mouth. I was in the court room for some of the proceedings, and I do know her and one of the kids. She has problems and I hope she can get help while she is incarcerated. I do agree the prosecution failed in one aspect. I think it may have been premeditated, I think the time line and phone calls and where she was and where she claimed to be might lead you to believe that was possible. I think it could have been pressed a little harder to try to prove that point. However, how can any clear minded thinking person not see the evidence to show an obvious cover up after the fact? My gut feeling was that someone else may have helped her, then after hearing the blunders in her statements I changed my mind and decided that she just thought that she wouldn't be questioned because she was a "GOOD" citizen and pillar of the community. She did something off the cuff that was really stupid and sad for all involved. She simply lost it, guess she really thought she needed some money. SO SO SO SAD for Shirley. DON"T FORGET SHIRLEY, no one else ran her over but Janice.
Well first of all you do not know who better than I do!! And second I would never in this life time forget Shirley!!!! Bless her heart!!!! But there was nothing to show that she killed this woman! She was not broke and she did not need any money! Thats the most laughable thing in the world. Why in the world would someone run over someone because they wanted to flip a house? Why was there not missing items in the house? There is one thing I know for sure she is not stupid! Say what you will and lots of people have. But she is a most loving wonderful person in the world! She would never harm anyone on purpose. That judgement was nothing but pure emotions. If you had to just go by the facts than you couldn't. There was none supporting it! So you say that no one else ran over her but Janice. Well then why did the Forensic investigator say that the tire marks on her clothes were not Janice's Tahoe? Did you miss that part? I know that someone else ran over her and it will all come out one day. I know that for sure. Don't judge a book by its cover. You just might be judged yourself one day.
disappointed

Canyon Lake, TX

#7 Dec 9, 2009
Personally concerned wrote:
<quoted text> Well first of all you do not know who better than I do!! And second I would never in this life time forget Shirley!!!! Bless her heart!!!! But there was nothing to show that she killed this woman! She was not broke and she did not need any money! Thats the most laughable thing in the world. Why in the world would someone run over someone because they wanted to flip a house? Why was there not missing items in the house? There is one thing I know for sure she is not stupid! Say what you will and lots of people have. But she is a most loving wonderful person in the world! She would never harm anyone on purpose. That judgement was nothing but pure emotions. If you had to just go by the facts than you couldn't. There was none supporting it! So you say that no one else ran over her but Janice. Well then why did the Forensic investigator say that the tire marks on her clothes were not Janice's Tahoe? Did you miss that part? I know that someone else ran over her and it will all come out one day. I know that for sure. Don't judge a book by its cover. You just might be judged yourself one day.
I hope you are right, I agree with some of what you say, however, if I accidently killed someone or thought I did, I would not say that I "murdered her twice" that was odd. I wouldn't put the body in my vehicle and I certainly wouldn't be touching the brain matter,(I think that was a way to cover the DNA already in the vehicle) I wouldn't say that I did not know Shirley when I did, my story wouldn't change, the facts would be the facts. None of us are perfect and we will all be judged. As I stated before, the evidence showed a cover up after the fact. An innocent person doesn't need to cover up or change the story to suit the question, facts are facts. I do think there were questions left unanswered by the prosecution that puzzle me. Obviously you are close to Janice and I am sorry for your loss in that respect. I never had a bad encounter with her although I do hear that she was, let's say a hardy partier. I do believe she had a hot temper, what about the cheerleaders and the GIRL friend. I think the cheerleaders show that she is a very protective mother and the girlfriend showed that she was a pissed off wife, not that I blame her with the girlfriend. I do think she has some issues to work through let alone the murder conviction. There is something about this case that really really bothers me. Perhaps it is that I DO think she did it and I am pretty sure she did it on purpose, and to think that this was the Queen of Pop Warner and a teacher in our school district working with OUR children, it's all a bit scaring. I still think the affair messed with her and I do think there were money problems and she snapped for some reason, I do hope I am soooo wrong and that she will be vindicated. I don't want to think that I know a murderer.
concerned

Broken Arrow, OK

#8 Dec 10, 2009
First of all thank you for writing back. I do respect what you feel. I want to say you are 100% wrong when you say she had money problems. I know she did not! And when you go by what was done in the police station well all I can say is that you need to study up on someone when they are in shock!! No one would pick up brain matter and call 911 and not take anything in the house would be guilty of 1st degree! And you cant cover up all the DNA that would be in her Tahoe if Shirley was in there! Not possible!!!!!! If she was in there you would have alot of DNA. I thought you people were smart? As for a partier well thats just what you said you heard!! Hearing is not facts! Just like hearing what she said with out DNA or evidance to back it up is not possible! Thats why the law says you have to go by the facts not emotions. If you are scared of someone like Janice than Im very sad for you. Really I am!!!! She has helped to many people in her life! Thats not rumor that is a fact of life! I know because I wouldnt be the person I am today without her in my life!!!!!!!!! As for the cheeleader's you talk about, tell me if the other mothers that take care of there daughters were on trail for murder you can bet your ass anything they said would come out and make them look bad! Everyone has done or said something in there life that makes them look bad!!! Mothers are like Bears when it comes to there childern!Doesn't mean everything they say is right but its being a Mother. You say she has alot of problems in her life. Well how do you know that? I know her better than everyone out there reading this and she is a wonderful caring person!!!! She would do anything for anyone in this world and she has! I hear she has no remorse for what happened to Miss Shirley. Well there again if I had a dime for every time someone judges I would be rich! That statement is so far from truth!!!!!!!!!! You know nothing will stop me from telling the world how wonderful Janice is. No that will be my life until Im gone. Im just sorry people make up there minds without anything to back it up. I used to judge people I would hear about on TV when someone was murdered or accused.But I will never do that again. God is are only judge.
disappointed

Canyon Lake, TX

#9 Dec 14, 2009
concerned wrote:
First of all thank you for writing back. I do respect what you feel. I want to say you are 100% wrong when you say she had money problems. I know she did not! And when you go by what was done in the police station well all I can say is that you need to study up on someone when they are in shock!! No one would pick up brain matter and call 911 and not take anything in the house would be guilty of 1st degree! And you cant cover up all the DNA that would be in her Tahoe if Shirley was in there! Not possible!!!!!! If she was in there you would have alot of DNA. I thought you people were smart? As for a partier well thats just what you said you heard!! Hearing is not facts! Just like hearing what she said with out DNA or evidance to back it up is not possible! Thats why the law says you have to go by the facts not emotions. If you are scared of someone like Janice than Im very sad for you. Really I am!!!! She has helped to many people in her life! Thats not rumor that is a fact of life! I know because I wouldnt be the person I am today without her in my life!!!!!!!!! As for the cheeleader's you talk about, tell me if the other mothers that take care of there daughters were on trail for murder you can bet your ass anything they said would come out and make them look bad! Everyone has done or said something in there life that makes them look bad!!! Mothers are like Bears when it comes to there childern!Doesn't mean everything they say is right but its being a Mother. You say she has alot of problems in her life. Well how do you know that? I know her better than everyone out there reading this and she is a wonderful caring person!!!! She would do anything for anyone in this world and she has! I hear she has no remorse for what happened to Miss Shirley. Well there again if I had a dime for every time someone judges I would be rich! That statement is so far from truth!!!!!!!!!! You know nothing will stop me from telling the world how wonderful Janice is. No that will be my life until Im gone. Im just sorry people make up there minds without anything to back it up. I used to judge people I would hear about on TV when someone was murdered or accused.But I will never do that again. God is are only judge.
I am not stupid, there was DNA in the vehicle in the back and in the front. Obviously you are her close friend or relative. I too think our justice system sucks and is unfair, I would be a defensive juror if I was on a jury, I tend to NOT believe the State. In this case, I can't get there and I am sorry. If it doesn't fir then you can't convict does not work in this case. Where you in the court room?? Maybe she should have testified and answered these allegations, I know it isn't supposed to affect the jury either way, but, her attorney gave NO defense, someone should have tried. I know there was no way she could get on the stand, she could not explain away the lies and deception that was clearly brought forth by the prosecution from the early statements from her and her family. I wish you luck on your crusade to salvage Janice's reputation and whatever. It doesn't really matter on this earth if she did it or not, she was convicted and that is it, an appeal probably won't work, too many conflicting statements out of her own mouth. You are right, since there was no death penalty, God will be the last judge. Oh, and I don't think I am judging her, I am trying to understand this whole thing. When I first heard of the incident, it was right around the time that it actually happened, and I did not allow myself to believe that there was anyway that she could have done anything purposely. I am not judging her a jury did that and God says that we must follow man's law, she failed that, therfore we are allowed to judge for that act. And I wish you well, God Bless and I hope you can find peace thru all of this.
concerned

Broken Arrow, OK

#10 Dec 14, 2009
Oh yes I was there! It doesn't matter what you think or say. I know what happened and she did not kill anyone in 1st degree!!!! Her Lawyer did a great job!! There was nothing that proved 1st degree murder! Someone else had there tire marks on that womans body and it was not Janice's Tahoe!!!!! Were you a juror? Than no you are not allowed to judge!! OH and by the way there was not DNA in the back of the Tahoe! Just the brain matter she had in her hand. Humm makes me think that someone was in total shock! Tell me if our jury was so damn great than why were 2 of them sleeping thur the trial! One of them slept thur the whole thing! I would think head bobbing up and down was someone that wasn't listening! Even a reporter saw him sleeping. Looks like they had there mind made up right off the bat! Oh and thank you for the luck wishing on my cursade!!!!!!!!! Because that will be my life until im not here on earth! Like Janice I love people and am always there to help anyone! But you can bet your ass she will not go thur this alone! She is a wonderful caring person and you cant say that she isnt because you dont know her like I have my whole entire life!!! Doesnt matter if she is family or friend!!! She is my life and always will be! Like I said God is in control and we will see what happens. If she has to spend her years in jail for this than I still going to be there!!!!!!! And God will still love her as I do!!!!
disappointed

Canyon Lake, TX

#11 Dec 15, 2009
good luck
Guest

San Antonio, TX

#12 Dec 24, 2009
Personally concerned wrote:
I cant believe how many people are concerned about Miss Vickers being dangerous!! There was no evidence that Mrs Vickers murdered anyone!! Not any!!!! I guess no one listened to the fact that someone had run over the woman before Miss Vickers did. Yes there was other tire marks on the womans clothes! Oh and who calls 911 if they are going to commit 1st degree murder? Unless you personally know this person you have no right to judge!!! No proof at all that for 1st degree murder or manslaughter! Its funny to me how many people run off at the mouth and don't know anything! Yes you have the right to your opinion but thats just what it is an opinion! Trust me I know the facts!!!!!
You obviously don't know the facts. SHE RAN OVER HER TWICE. That is why there was more than one set of tire tracks on her. There were witnesses, most of whom I know personally. You are being a full blown hypocrite running your mouth about something you know absolutely nothing about.
concerned

Broken Arrow, OK

#13 Dec 28, 2009
Let me tell you something!!!!!!! Those second set of tire tracks were not her Tahoe's!!!!!!! I dont know who you are but you know nothing!!! Your personal witness were not on trial. Humm funny to me people come out of the wood work and think they know what they are talking about!!!!! So if there were witnesses than why didn't they stand up!!!! You think I dont know anything about this?????? What is a hypocrite to you???? You will never in this life time tell me that I dont know what happened or that I dont know Janice Vickers!!!!!!! Get in line like the rest of them!!!!!!! I will run my mouth all I want!!!!!! I know more than you could possibly even imagine!!!!!!!!!! I will say this again!!!!! The forensic invesigator said the tire marks on her clothes were not the Tahoe tire marks!!!!!! Funny how people discount the things they dont want to hear!!!!!!!
Guest

Desoto, TX

#14 Dec 31, 2009
concerned wrote:
Let me tell you something!!!!!!! Those second set of tire tracks were not her Tahoe's!!!!!!! I dont know who you are but you know nothing!!! Your personal witness were not on trial. Humm funny to me people come out of the wood work and think they know what they are talking about!!!!! So if there were witnesses than why didn't they stand up!!!! You think I dont know anything about this?????? What is a hypocrite to you???? You will never in this life time tell me that I dont know what happened or that I dont know Janice Vickers!!!!!!! Get in line like the rest of them!!!!!!! I will run my mouth all I want!!!!!! I know more than you could possibly even imagine!!!!!!!!!! I will say this again!!!!! The forensic invesigator said the tire marks on her clothes were not the Tahoe tire marks!!!!!! Funny how people discount the things they dont want to hear!!!!!!!
Yeah okay whatever you say. The people I know DID testify so you might want to shut your trap before you look like an idiot. There were plenty of other people who she tried to kill as well.
hateful person i guess

Spring Branch, TX

#15 Jan 1, 2010
i believe it could not happen to a better person...i was on mrs vickers cheerleading team and she put my through HELL...she told me because i was poor i could not be on her team and made another team apart from hers that was for the "poor kids"...she always thought she was better than everyone...i feel so sorry for the woman she ran over, but i dont even think 17 years is long enough for some one who is that type of person...im sorry but she treated my family like crap because at the time she thought she was better than us because my mom saved up for a year to put me through cheerleading and laughed at my mom behind her back...i have nothing for this woman and i hope she rots the whole 17 years.
concerned

Broken Arrow, OK

#16 Jan 4, 2010
Well I was at that trial and no one testified that they saw her run over anyone! I could care less if you think I look like and idiot!!! You know nothing and sounds like you have a problem! SO you are making a bold statement by saying there were plenty of other people she tried to kill!!! Who are they and why didnt they testify? Why if that was true than they had an obligation to come forward!!!.......Rumors Rumors and I would love for you to try and shut my trap!!!!!!!!!! GO ahead Like i said get in line!!!!!!! Janice Vickers is a loving caring wonderful person!!!!!!!!!! I know personally and you can say what you want but im 100% right because I know first hand!!!!! As for the jealous Cheerleaders get over it that was years ago and has nothing to do with this accident! If you think Im going to believe everyones version of her your wrong!You see I know her and you dont!!!!!!!! She is not a murderer!
Guest

San Antonio, TX

#17 Jan 4, 2010
concerned wrote:
Well I was at that trial and no one testified that they saw her run over anyone! I could care less if you think I look like and idiot!!! You know nothing and sounds like you have a problem! SO you are making a bold statement by saying there were plenty of other people she tried to kill!!! Who are they and why didnt they testify? Why if that was true than they had an obligation to come forward!!!.......Rumors Rumors and I would love for you to try and shut my trap!!!!!!!!!! GO ahead Like i said get in line!!!!!!! Janice Vickers is a loving caring wonderful person!!!!!!!!!! I know personally and you can say what you want but im 100% right because I know first hand!!!!! As for the jealous Cheerleaders get over it that was years ago and has nothing to do with this accident! If you think Im going to believe everyones version of her your wrong!You see I know her and you dont!!!!!!!! She is not a murderer!
The people I know testified. They knew her all too well too. She is EXACTLY where she needs to be. You were not in the court room and you need to take some basic English classes.
Concerned

Garland, TX

#18 Jan 4, 2010
concerned wrote:
First of all thank you for writing back. I do respect what you feel. I want to say you are 100% wrong when you say she had money problems. I know she did not! And when you go by what was done in the police station well all I can say is that you need to study up on someone when they are in shock!! No one would pick up brain matter and call 911 and not take anything in the house would be guilty of 1st degree! And you cant cover up all the DNA that would be in her Tahoe if Shirley was in there! Not possible!!!!!! If she was in there you would have alot of DNA. I thought you people were smart? As for a partier well thats just what you said you heard!! Hearing is not facts! Just like hearing what she said with out DNA or evidance to back it up is not possible! Thats why the law says you have to go by the facts not emotions. If you are scared of someone like Janice than Im very sad for you. Really I am!!!! She has helped to many people in her life! Thats not rumor that is a fact of life! I know because I wouldnt be the person I am today without her in my life!!!!!!!!! As for the cheeleader's you talk about, tell me if the other mothers that take care of there daughters were on trail for murder you can bet your ass anything they said would come out and make them look bad! Everyone has done or said something in there life that makes them look bad!!! Mothers are like Bears when it comes to there childern!Doesn't mean everything they say is right but its being a Mother. You say she has alot of problems in her life. Well how do you know that? I know her better than everyone out there reading this and she is a wonderful caring person!!!! She would do anything for anyone in this world and she has! I hear she has no remorse for what happened to Miss Shirley. Well there again if I had a dime for every time someone judges I would be rich! That statement is so far from truth!!!!!!!!!! You know nothing will stop me from telling the world how wonderful Janice is. No that will be my life until Im gone. Im just sorry people make up there minds without anything to back it up. I used to judge people I would hear about on TV when someone was murdered or accused.But I will never do that again. God is are only judge.
Who in the world tries to pick up someone or move then after such a traumatic incident? No mother in the world would do that. One calls 911 to get help. Why put ones brains in your hands and climb into a car? This was clearly an attempt to try to place SL in the Tahoe in a way that covers up the fact that she was previously killed.
OR
When JV asked SL for money, SL got really upset and nervous and tried to get away, then JV got angry as was shown in the trial on several occasions in the past and decided to get her good. How do you explain the fact that the front wheel of the car had fresh blood at the top. The Tahoe could not have made more than about 1/2 a revolution. THAT doesn't happen unless you are going VERY slowly. Whey were there not skid marks, if her story was true about avoiding the ditch? As for the evidence of the "other" tire marks, the evidence was that it was impossible to tell what those marks were. They could have been marks from the underside of the Tahoe the FIRST time SL was struck and run over.
smr

Dallas, TX

#19 Jan 5, 2010
Hey concerned: I didn't know they had computers in prison. Or is your name Janice Vickers? This female you call perfect is a psychopath. She damn sure has you believing. Shirley Lindenbaum was an innocent lady who was run over in cold blood. Janice Vickers thinks she's smarter than everyone else and thought she'd bullshit her way through. She is exactly where she belongs. Maybe she can become friends with Allen Blackthorne (who believes himself too) and they can sit around the prison campfire telling each other how smart they are.
concerned

Broken Arrow, OK

#20 Jan 7, 2010
Hey smr.....No my name is not Janice Vickers. Humm and they did say that the other tire marks were not the Tahoe. With what was done to that poor Lady's body there would be alot of blood and skin and hair under the front of that Tahoe. There was not! You people that have your mind made up means nothing to me. You do not know her and do not know anything!!!!! As your right to state your opinion it is my right also. Who in Hell would ask for money and run over someone and than call the cops! Thats so unbelievable! As for the blood on one tire it was stated that validity had already set up in her body. That would tell one that she was already dead and that the person with the other tire mark hit her first!No one was there but I can tell you with all my heart and soul because I have known her my entire life and lived with her everyday that she is not a psychopath and she has never thought she was smarter than anyone else!!!!!!!! Take it or leave it! But sadly everyone thinks they can judge everyone else. So if you want to call her names and say whatever than say it. Get in Line because I will always know the true Janice! And I will never forsake her in anyway shape or form! Thats called real love and she is my life!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canyon Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brandon Newman Dec 20 concerned friend 5
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Dec 17 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
Any Good Company? Dec 14 LoverZ06 1
Behind Taco Bell Dec 8 brad 1
Any women want to hook up Dec 5 JLP 4
I want to know your opinions! Dec 5 Beejay 2
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Nov 29 Fartology 752
Canyon Lake Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Canyon Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Canyon Lake News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Canyon Lake

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:07 pm PST

NBC Sports 2:07PM
Why aren't other teams lining up for Jason Garrett?
Yahoo! Sports 2:25 PM
Romo's best version looking good for Cowboys
Bleacher Report 1:23 AM
Hot Cowboys Value Staying Sharp over Rest; Playing to Win vs. Redskins
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Breaking Down Redskins' Game Plan vs. Cowboys
NFL 5:17 AM
Week 17 playoff scenarios cheat sheet