Appraisal districts are out of control with assessments. Texas is taxing people out of their homes. They are doubling/quadrupling assessments on land/homes, yet salaries are miniscule. Isn't the American dream all about being able to buy a piece of land & home? Texas is taking that dream away from its citizens; a huge mortgage due to spiraling home costs, & then huge taxes on top of that. Out of control assessments. School taxes were lowered, but it doesn't help citizens much because properties are then appraised high enough to make up for the lowering of school taxes to ensure a county won't lose money. Shame the way Texas allows the appraisal districts to assess properties without a cap. Some schools have built multi-million dollar stadiums. Was that necessary? Is it because schools had to find ways to spend all that money it's grubbing from citizens? Does that seem fair to you? Then they have to find ways to spend all of the alloted funds at end of the budget year because they have too much of citizens money left over & need to find a way to spend it so they will not lose it. What does that tell you? Properties should be appraised on purchase value...not market value. Soon, only wealthy will be able to buy a home. Does Texas really care about its citizens. People, stop and say, "ENOUGH!!!" There is not going to be change if no one takes the time to fight for change. Start contacting your legislators. DO NOT LET THE APPRAISAL DISTRICTS CONTINUE TO RIP PEOPLE OFF. When your appeal to the appraisal district is denied...take the time to appeal to a higher court. DO NOT GIVE UP. Hire an attorney. Start doing SOMETHING to put a stop to this. If you don't...you, too, may be taxed out of your own property. Demand that a capout be put on assessments. I read where one person purchased a home for $267,000 and the next year it was appraised at over $500K. Exemption??? What about citizens who purchased a little piece of land? I checked some appraisal district's sites & saw where assessments were one amount one year and the land was assessed 3-5 times higher the next year. Comal appraisal district...could you be guilty of this? Imagine the surprise those landowners got. Some of them may now have to sell their land because they cannot affort taxes at 3-5 times the inital cost. What about the poor senior citizens who live on a fixed SS income and may have owned their home for years? One year it's worth $100,000 and the next year it's appraised at $300,000. How are those senior citizens going to afford to make the tax payments on that property? Authorities say,"Well, there is a tax exemption after age 65, & their taxes do not go up anymore." Okay, but when their appraisals continue to go up, they may be paying the same tax rate, but they still have to come up with more and more money due to out of control, higher appraisals. Where are they going to get the money on a fixed income to pay those ever increasing tax bills? Just because ONE home sold for $400,000...then your little $100K, no improved home that is falling apart now becomes an assessed property at $400,000... and you KNOW you can't sell if for anything near that. Appraisal districts SHOULD NOT be appraising on the market value of an area. It is too unfair. Try arguing that with the appraisal district. It will be like talking to a wall. At least in other states where taxes are high, citizens have high salaries to make up for it. In Texas, salaries are so low it's insulting, yet taxes are thru the roof. They say, "But there isn't any income tax." Well, I'd rather pay the income tax from a miniscule salary than to need to scrape up enough money to pay the out of control tax bill. I implore you to start taking steps to to nip these out of control assessments in the bud. Start a coalition: Citizens Against Runaway Appraisals in Texas (CARAT). Fight, people! Do not sit there and just take it. The government works FOR YOU. Learn how to control it. And THAT is my opinion.