3 districts push bond, tax-boost init...

3 districts push bond, tax-boost initiatives

There are 43 comments on the El Paso Times story from Apr 30, 2011, titled 3 districts push bond, tax-boost initiatives. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Canutillo school district superintendent Damon Murphy gave a pep talk to a crowd of about 75 supporters of the district's bond initiative and Tax Radification Election Saturday along Doniphan Drive in Canutillo Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
tueta-no

United States

#1 Apr 30, 2011
I guess they dont watch the national news often and because their spending has been reVEALEd. Stop spending and revamp your entire workforce and start cutting expenses!
vote no

Laurel, MD

#2 Apr 30, 2011
Vote no on all bond and tax increases for school districts until they get the pay of the Superintendent's and their bootlickers under control. Vote no until they reduce staffs at district offices. Vote out all school board members until you have the ones with the courage to stand up to the ridiculous pay scales for Superintendents.
NO NO NO
what happen

Washington, DC

#3 May 1, 2011
When Canutillo cuts teachers jobs which teachers are cut 1st. The Spanish speaking teachers or the English only speaking teachers. Fix this entitlement to foreigners in our schools before I vote for anything. Canutillo is forcing teachers and your students to speak another language rather than being proficient in the English Language. What’s wrong with this picture.
ohmygosh

Phoenix, AZ

#4 May 1, 2011
Save Your Homes, Vote NO!!!
steve

El Paso, TX

#5 May 1, 2011
I am not going to support the bond issue just to inflate the top administrators salaries. I am not paying for a new pool or excessive use of cell phone, or pay for their insurance...Sorry bark up another tree, please.
jack

El Paso, TX

#6 May 1, 2011
I am voting no. Our property taxes are already ridiculously high. If the school district stopped allowing those who live outside the school district and foreigners to attend their school district, they will find plenty of savings.
Hititonthehead

Midland, TX

#7 May 1, 2011
AGAIN VOTE NO

NO

No
Sunshine

El Paso, TX

#8 May 1, 2011
I cannot support the Anthony bond issue at this time, and urge the community to vote NO. If heating and air conditioning is the most important improvement, the board should've budgeted for that last year. This is a time for austerity measures; the recession is not over and there may be harsher times ahead. We cannot spend on "wish list" items, and won't. AISD board - your timing could not have been worse.
Tim Holt

El Paso, TX

#9 May 1, 2011
The facts of the matter is that growth cannot be stopped, the state is cutting billions in education, the districts facilities are falling apart, and districts, like everyone else, has to pay more for goods and services.
Asking districts to cut cut cut makes for good soundbites, but is not as practical as you might think. Even if all of the evil adminsrators were fired tomorrow, it would be a drop in the bucket towards what is needed. Fire the administrator for$150,000 but you still need to repair the schools and build the new school that costs millions.
You still need to pay for ADA compliance . You still need to pay for unfunded mandates from the state.
Tim Holt

El Paso, TX

#10 May 1, 2011
See how much your district is going to lose in state funding here:
http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/scho...
Tim Holt

El Paso, TX

#11 May 1, 2011
The possible effects of downsizing education:

http://www.texasobserver.org/left-field/item/...
Bobby

El Paso, TX

#12 May 1, 2011
I guess these people don't listen to the public anymore. Not only is there a weather drought, but the money is drying up also.

A few grown ups, and I use the phrase loosely, are out there parading around with 'children', and using them as pawns is very disrespectful to the adults that are paying the bills.

The garbage continues and it's getting OLD:

'Mommy mommy -(s)he said schools will close and we won't have new books and playgrounds and fancy computers - come on mommy - pay more money. We might all die mommy.'
CPS

El Paso, TX

#13 May 1, 2011
Holding the School districts responsible for all thier actions.
The lead administrator is making over 200,000.00 per year, underneath them the persons are making 150.000.00 and so on. To me the districts messed up laying off TEACHERS or fired TEACHERS. wheather they speak English or Spanish. Now I prefer English be the primary language but El Paso just refuses to make this a requierment. Forward moving: the districts should have cut the Administration jobs not Teachers. This flowed thinking shows they have little concern for education. It is more about keeping Admin filled and repetitive work being done by two to four people.

Remove the redundency from the district and I will think about allowing you to raise my taxes but again I must vote NO.

This tactic in using our kids will not work either or waiting till the last Moment to catch us sleeping at the polls...

We are wide awake and a strong sounding NO is coming on the evening of the 14... Hold on to your Butts...
Rick H

Tallahassee, FL

#14 May 1, 2011
Do the taxing authorities realize that at a certain point the taxes they add could be the straw that breaks the camel's backs? Taxpayers are facing inflation on all fronts --food, energy costs to get to work, insurance costs skyrocketing, medical costs out of control, clothing shooting up. Everything goes up but wages. It is time to learn to make do and be more efficient. Consolidate. Cut costs.

Costs shooting up and wages staying the same equals a diminished standard of living. We are becoming--quite quickly-- a third world country. A banana republic with a currency that is becoming worthless, out of control debt and a decrasing standard of living.
vote no too

El Paso, TX

#15 May 1, 2011
If you voters who live in those 3 districts (I don't, BTW) vote for this nonsense then you deserve the hit to your gas and grocery budgets. What can I say.
Don

El Paso, TX

#16 May 1, 2011
VOTE NO VOTE NO, The district offices are over staffed and over paid. There is no accountability in SISD and they kept asking for more money? Its not for the kids! Morale in the schools is at a all time low. The schools are not over crowded. Eastlake opened (with open enrollment) and only has 500 students? VOTE NO!
ohmygosh

El Paso, TX

#17 May 1, 2011
Tim Holt wrote:
The facts of the matter is that growth cannot be stopped, the state is cutting billions in education, the districts facilities are falling apart, and districts, like everyone else, has to pay more for goods and services.
Asking districts to cut cut cut makes for good soundbites, but is not as practical as you might think. Even if all of the evil adminsrators were fired tomorrow, it would be a drop in the bucket towards what is needed. Fire the administrator for$150,000 but you still need to repair the schools and build the new school that costs millions.
You still need to pay for ADA compliance . You still need to pay for unfunded mandates from the state.
Not sure how you get the $150,000 figure, your math makes no sense. Take benefits into the equation and add that on top of their real salaries and you are talking a lot more than $150,000.

Anyways, that is not the point. You are saying districts are going to lose money, well.. If we vote yes, then we are going to lose money and many people cannot afford to pay extra money in taxes right now. It's either keep supporting the irresponsible spending by school districs or SAVE YOUR HOME. What do you think people are going to vote for?
Read My Lips

El Paso, TX

#18 May 1, 2011
NO NEW TAXES!! VOTE NO! VOTE NO! VOTE NO!
Read My Lips

El Paso, TX

#19 May 1, 2011
No New Taxes! Vote No! Vote No! Vote No!
Perry First

El Paso, TX

#20 May 1, 2011
I know that some people don't want to hear this, but if Gov. Perry would have called a special session when the state red ink appeared,(like many other states) these short falls would be much less. Instead he chose to go with a Texas Miracle that was not true and played politics for himself to get re-elected.

This man has been terrible for the state and now his lack of proper state administration is beginning to hit hard at all local levels - which was his plan in the first place. This is not a republican or Democrat issue, but just a bad Governor that only thinks of his own selfish needs first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canutillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 58 min Wet farts 738
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 4 hr Higher Farts 897
News Weather service warns of possible icy roads Thu... Jan '15 cat2009 13
News Sheriff's deputies arrest woman on 'most wanted... (Nov '08) Jan '15 Former Co-worker 18
News City tax bills to be mailed this week to El Pas... (Oct '14) Oct '14 huey goins 3
News Heavy traffic reported near Lupita's Tamales in... (Dec '09) Sep '14 david 15
la tuna federal prison camp (Apr '06) Aug '14 Shayne 277
More from around the web

Canutillo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Canutillo Mortgages