30-35 Canutillo teachers may not be r...

30-35 Canutillo teachers may not be renewed in cuts

There are 39 comments on the El Paso Times story from Apr 13, 2011, titled 30-35 Canutillo teachers may not be renewed in cuts. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

The Canutillo Independent School District board will make big decisions about teacher contracts today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Propaganda

El Paso, TX

#22 Apr 14, 2011
Chevy Grrrl wrote:
<quoted text>
Look - this is not about petty issues. If you (and others) have a problem with Board members or the way they conduct their business, that's fine. But we are talking about MUCH larger issues for our students and staff. Should the entire vote be dumped because people don't like a board member??
Cut the board travel, cut the watering (??), take the 75K back from Ms Casares, fire all the board members and hand pick the replacements..... GUESS WHAT? You still desperately need the TRE!!
Wake up Canutillo! Pass this "Decision Canutillo" vote.
Petty to you, but not to me, or most voters. You are asking taxpayers to fork over more money to run the district, yet you don't want us to question the people who are ultimately making the budgetary decisions, and handling the money. Questioning the integrity of a Board Member, who sued the district, is absolutely relevant because she votes on every financial decision for CISD.

Do you think I believe she has the best interest of the district in mind? Do you think I want to hand over my hard-earned money to someone who is only out for herself? Until Canutillo quits electing Mickey Mouse Board Members, the voters are going to continue to distrust the management of funds. You may not like it, but it's the reality.
TIm Holt

El Paso, TX

#23 Apr 14, 2011
All,

For more information about the bond, the TRE and how the dollars will be spent, please go to the DC2011AC Facebook page at:

http://www.facebook.com/... #!/pages/Decision-Canutillo-20 11-Action-Committee/1988808101 34332

No name calling, no yelling, just facts.

I hope to see you there, and I will try my best to answer your TRE and Bond questions. If I cannot answer them, I will find someone who can.

I know that this is a touchy issue. I know that people are strapped for money. But the school district needs our support. The Texas Legislature has hobbled how districts can fund themselves.

I think that Dr. Murphy and his team has laid out a pretty clear vision of where ALL funds will be used.

I also know that there are accountability committees that are crying for community members to become part of.

Want to make sure that the money raised is spent the way they promised? Become part of the process. Join a committee.

I also know that you can leave a question and the Superintendent of the CISD will answer you. Very few districts have that advantage. Dr. Murphy is not the same Superintendent CISD has had. You want answers, he will get you answers that are truthful and without all of the jargon.

See you on the Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/... #!/pages/Decision-Canutillo-20 11-Action-Committee/1988808101 34332
Ridiculous

United States

#24 Apr 14, 2011
Propaganda wrote:
Murphy and his cohorts are really monitoring this blog to promote the TRE/Bond and push for more taxes, while the district continues to run ineffeciently. The district needs to tighten its belt, just like everyone else does when less money is coming in.
And where do you get the $1,500 a year in property taxes? What a joke! Because currently my CISD property taxes run me about $7000 a year. Let me say that again--MY CISD PROPERTY TAXES RUN $7,000 A YEAR, and you want me to pay more? I don't think so! VOTE NO! And learn to live within your means.
OK, Propaganda. If you pay close to $7,000 in taxes to Canutillo, you must live in a home worth $550,000. Don't believe me? Here's the math.

$550,000 -$15,000 (homestead excemption)=$535,000.$535,000 divieded by $100 (tax rate is figured per $100 property valuation)=$5,350.$5,350 times $1.29 (the current CISD tax rate)=$6,901. That's how much a $550,000 home pays.

Now, if you're like me, I don't own a $550,000 home. My home is more like $150,000. Here's the tax math for that home.

$150,000 -$15,000=$135,000.$135,000 divided by $100 =$1,350.$1,350 times $1.29 =$1,742.

SO NOW ... WHO'S THE ONE SPREADING PROPAGANDA?
El Payaso

El Paso, TX

#25 Apr 14, 2011
Ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, Propaganda. If you pay close to $7,000 in taxes to Canutillo, you must live in a home worth $550,000. Don't believe me? Here's the math.
$550,000 -$15,000 (homestead excemption)=$535,000.$535,000 divieded by $100 (tax rate is figured per $100 property valuation)=$5,350.$5,350 times $1.29 (the current CISD tax rate)=$6,901. That's how much a $550,000 home pays.
Now, if you're like me, I don't own a $550,000 home. My home is more like $150,000. Here's the tax math for that home.
$150,000 -$15,000=$135,000.$135,000 divided by $100 =$1,350.$1,350 times $1.29 =$1,742.
ORALE!!! I love it... who says education is caca in Canuts!!

Viva la RAZA ~
Comment

Albuquerque, NM

#26 Apr 14, 2011
This is great news for people like me. I will be applying for a teaching position in the area districts. And, since I'm new to the profession, I'll be cheap labor. I will soon be an El Paso area school teacher and do it for a few years while I earn my Master's Degree and then off to a better and higher paying career. And personally, I don't give a rat's @ss if the kids learn or not. This is just a stepping stone for me. I'll be the easy and cool teacher and will kiss the bosses @ss to have an advantage for old prune teachers.
Propaganda

El Paso, TX

#27 Apr 14, 2011
Ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>
All this shows is that I've done better in life than you. I live off Gato Road. Why should I pay more?
ohwow

El Paso, TX

#28 Apr 14, 2011
What Fat wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about? Read the article. They're not firing experienced teachers. They're firing first year teachers.
And who said anything about utep?
Man! People on this forum can be so stupid.
obviously you don't know what's going on in this city, you don't have a clue.. if you would keep up with current events you would see that canutillo district will be at the UTEP job fair tomorrow to hire new teachers.. so you're saying new teachers will get fired and new teachers will get hired? you're clueless, you're right, some people that post in this forum are really stupid.. go back and get yourself an education!
What Fat

United States

#29 Apr 14, 2011
Dude. I have a masters degree and I'm sorry I don't keep up with utep's calendar.

Still you're an idiot for not reading the article carefully. Never did they say they're firing experienced teachers.
To hell in a henbasket

El Paso, TX

#30 Apr 14, 2011
Comment wrote:
This is great news for people like me. I will be applying for a teaching position in the area districts. And, since I'm new to the profession, I'll be cheap labor. I will soon be an El Paso area school teacher and do it for a few years while I earn my Master's Degree and then off to a better and higher paying career. And personally, I don't give a rat's **** if the kids learn or not. This is just a stepping stone for me. I'll be the easy and cool teacher and will kiss the bosses **** to have an advantage for old prune teachers.

Well you should fit right in at CISD, where suction and cronyism supersedes talent, it's just too bad the parents who see the results from good teachers are not the ones that evaluate teachers.
Canutillo1

El Paso, TX

#31 Apr 14, 2011
You'll be surprise with the quality of reacher canutillo has. Teachers in Canutillo spend their money buying supplies for the students, stsy until late thinking about how to help those struggling students who get no support at home. Most teachers at Canutillo really care about those kids. Tre should b passed. I know I support it.
ohwow

El Paso, TX

#32 Apr 14, 2011
What Fat wrote:
Dude. I have a masters degree and I'm sorry I don't keep up with utep's calendar.
Still you're an idiot for not reading the article carefully. Never did they say they're firing experienced teachers.
you must have a masters in business like everyone else does nowadays.. i have a masters myself in computer science, so don't go around calling people stupid if you're not going to be able to take it like you dish it..
Notakissxxxx

El Paso, TX

#33 Apr 14, 2011
To hell in a henbasket wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you should fit right in at CISD, where suction and cronyism supersedes talent, it's just too bad the parents who see the results from good teachers are not the ones that evaluate teachers.
Right on!!!
Canuto

United States

#34 Apr 14, 2011
Propaganda wrote:
Murphy and his cohorts are really monitoring this blog to promote the TRE/Bond and push for more taxes, while the district continues to run ineffeciently. The district needs to tighten its belt, just like everyone else does when less money is coming in.
And where do you get the $1,500 a year in property taxes? What a joke! Because currently my CISD property taxes run me about $7000 a year. Let me say that again--MY CISD PROPERTY TAXES RUN $7,000 A YEAR, and you want me to pay more? I don't think so! VOTE NO! And learn to live within your means.
Talk about propaganda and desperate greedy tactics. At the high school they took aside all the over 18 year old kids, pumped the propaganda and fear tactics and had them fill out voters registration papers.

Taxes here are ridiculous and it's time the taxpayers fight back! In normal places, people are paying a tenth of the property taxes paid here. How much more should be expected when we've already got the most ridiculously high taxes already?
The Beaver

El Paso, TX

#35 Apr 15, 2011
Steve El Paso-Rockport wrote:
"Canutillo" is an ignorant coward - making uniformed remarks behind an anonymous screen name. Take the challenge that the others offered and go see the Supt and show us the "fat".
Supt Murphy called me after I wrote a guest editorial on area school finances a couple of Sundays ago. Both he and Sergio Coronado are especially competent individuals to have for a small district.
The El Paso Times needs to switch to verified postings only - that way people will have to stand behind what they post.
Geez, you got something brown on both sides of your nose "Stevie".
The Beaver

El Paso, TX

#36 Apr 15, 2011
Problem wrote:
What about the problem of a Trustee who sues the district that she is supposed to represent? Could Monica Cazares' ridiculous $75K payout have been used to save a teaching position that is truly needed? What about the $20K the board spent ont travel to Chicago?...or Travel to San Francisco? You want to trim?...start by the unnencessary board travel and payouts!
Why not cut her mother's position or her sisters job?? I guess it is not considered nepotism! No one talks about every board member's relatives working in the school district of Canutillo, if you are not related to a board member your job is in jeopardy.gosh Wally.
The Beaver

El Paso, TX

#37 Apr 15, 2011
Propaganda wrote:
<quoted text>
Petty to you, but not to me, or most voters. You are asking taxpayers to fork over more money to run the district, yet you don't want us to question the people who are ultimately making the budgetary decisions, and handling the money. Questioning the integrity of a Board Member, who sued the district, is absolutely relevant because she votes on every financial decision for CISD.
Do you think I believe she has the best interest of the district in mind? Do you think I want to hand over my hard-earned money to someone who is only out for herself? Until Canutillo quits electing Mickey Mouse Board Members, the voters are going to continue to distrust the management of funds. You may not like it, but it's the reality.
In total agreement, great post. If mom was a teacher in Canutillo and got cut, dad would be asking questions about Mrs. Cazares, why are her relatives or Ms. Speedy Gonzalez relatives in a secured working position when everyone else is sweating it?????
The Beaver

El Paso, TX

#38 Apr 15, 2011
El Payaso wrote:
<quoted text>
ORALE!!! I love it... who says education is caca in Canuts!!
Viva la RAZA ~
Gosh, will you do the taxes for my brother Wally??? P.S. enjoy your breakfast with Sergio!
Concerned teacher

United States

#39 Apr 15, 2011
First of all, people like you have no business working with children. You give a horrible name to teachers. You are a disgrace to our society.
There are teachers like me that are about to complete a second Master's degree and still work with children in the classroom giving them a better opportunity to be successful and productive members of society. You should look for a job scrapping bathrooms so that you can only deal with toilets and its contents.

Replying to:
Comment wrote:
This is great news for people like me. I will be applying for a teaching position in the area districts. And, since I'm new to the profession, I'll be cheap labor. I will soon be an El Paso area school teacher and do it for a few years while I earn my Master's Degree and then off to a better and higher paying career. And personally, I don't give a rat's **** if the kids learn or not. This is just a stepping stone for me. I'll be the easy and cool teacher and will kiss the bosses **** to have an advantage for old prune teachers.
Propaganda ES UN PENDEJO

El Paso, TX

#40 Apr 15, 2011
Propaganda wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Mike Andrade Stop being an ass and stop thinking about yourself. Look out for the future of our kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canutillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Five arrested in school cheating indictments in... (Apr '16) May 13 Sniffable farts b... 15
News El Paso early voting for May 6 election dismal Apr 29 uIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 2
News Woman charged with fraud in alleged Ariana Gran... (Oct '15) Apr '17 A fan 14
la tuna federal prison camp (Apr '06) Mar '17 Smkelly 284
News Canutillo considers opposing low-income housing Feb '17 butters_ 1
Vinton Music Thread Feb '17 Musikologist 2
News Immigrants fear license checks (Nov '06) Aug '16 DC Dave 21

Canutillo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Canutillo Mortgages