30-35 Canutillo teachers may not be r...

30-35 Canutillo teachers may not be renewed in cuts

There are 39 comments on the El Paso Times story from Apr 13, 2011, titled 30-35 Canutillo teachers may not be renewed in cuts. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

The Canutillo Independent School District board will make big decisions about teacher contracts today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
canutillo

El Paso, TX

#1 Apr 14, 2011
There is so much fat in that budget to cut. There is so much waste and "special" programs that could go. The first thing they could do is look at the water that runs down Talbot from overwatering the "grass" in the front of Alderette! People in Canutillo can NOT afford a tax increase.
Chevy Grrrl

El Paso, TX

#2 Apr 14, 2011
Chickens home to roost. You don't pass two TRE's in a row, and this is what happens.
Fat? We took a 6 day pay cut this year and cut 60 jobs. There's no fat, especially with this big state cut coming. We need to pass this thing next month.
Joe

United States

#3 Apr 14, 2011
No more taxes. The taxpayers can't handle more. Cut the waste and there is much waste in the schools here.
Meeting

El Paso, TX

#4 Apr 14, 2011
I went to hear Dr. Murphy speak about all of this a two weeks ago. He made a compelling case, and one thing he pointed out was that Ysleta had passed their TRE. Then, I notice in today's paper that Ysleta isn't cutting much at all. Connection? I think so. I am going to support this.
What fat

El Paso, TX

#5 Apr 14, 2011
canutillo wrote:
There is so much fat in that budget to cut. There is so much waste and "special" programs that could go. The first thing they could do is look at the water that runs down Talbot from overwatering the "grass" in the front of Alderette! People in Canutillo can NOT afford a tax increase.
I dare you to go over to Dr. Murphy's office and take a look at the budget. You'll see there ain't no fat to trim. The fat from the Padilla administration was cut last year to the tune of $9,000,000. This year, they're going to cut more than fat. It will be muscle and even bone.
The election needs to pass .
Tim Holt

El Paso, TX

#6 Apr 14, 2011
As a member of the CISD Budget Stakeholder's Committee and a CISD parent, I can assure the CISD community that the district is running about as lean as it can get. You cannot

I guess you need to define what you consider "fat."
Some people think that athletic programs are "fat."
Some people think that Fine Arts are "fat."
Some people think that watering grass is "fat."
Some people think that any extra curricular activity is "fat."
Some people think anything other than the core content is "fat."

The Budget Committee looked at everything we could and tried our best to cut areas that we felt were redundant,unneeded, etc. We did cut. We did make recommendations that were executed.

Everyone in the CISD community needs to attend the informational sessions about the budget, the TRE, and the bond. Information is power.

The real problem is not about "fat" in the district (there is very little) or overpaid administrators. The true problem is in how Texas funds schools. The current funding method is unfair to almost everyone involved,picks on school districts like in CISD, and forces districts to beg like a PBS station every year to it's community for help. If you really want to change how districts are funded, you need to write Rep. Margo and ask him to begin the process of change that would make state funding to schools more equitable.

I challenge everyone reading this to call up Dr. Murphy and ask to see the budget and have it explained to you. Those "fat" programs that many refer to are mandated by the state and federal governments, and CISD has no choice but to have.

So I challenge everyone to please stay informed. Knowledge is power.

If you are on Facebook, there is a page devoted to the upcoming election:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Decision-Canuti...
Problem

El Paso, TX

#8 Apr 14, 2011
What about the problem of a Trustee who sues the district that she is supposed to represent? Could Monica Cazares' ridiculous $75K payout have been used to save a teaching position that is truly needed? What about the $20K the board spent ont travel to Chicago?...or Travel to San Francisco? You want to trim?...start by the unnencessary board travel and payouts!
Cant Afford what

El Paso, TX

#9 Apr 14, 2011
Canutillo cannot afford NOT to pass the upcoming TRE and Bond.

"Joe" where is the waste? Give specifics. How much do you pay a year in taxes to CISD? What does that break down to per day?

Canutillo: How much do you pay in taxes to CISD?

Let's say you pay $1500 a year in property taxes to CISD. There are 180 instructional days, so you are paying $8.33 a day to instruct a child. Divide that by the number of hours in a day (let's say it's 7) and you get 1.19 per hour. That is what you pay to give a child an education. Now, imagine you have 2 kids: That means you are paying 60 cents an hour! The more kids you have, the less per hour you are paying.

What if you have no kids? Do you have grandkids? Is less than $1.20 per hour worth it to give a child an education? I say it is.

I suppose it is all about priorities. Some communities embrace education and feel it is important. Some do not.

Where do you fall?
Suit

El Paso, TX

#10 Apr 14, 2011
Problem wrote:
What about the problem of a Trustee who sues the district that she is supposed to represent? Could Monica Cazares' ridiculous $75K payout have been used to save a teaching position that is truly needed?
Maybe that is something you need to discuss with Monica Cazeras' next time you are in her family meat market on Doniphan.
ohwow

El Paso, TX

#11 Apr 14, 2011
they want to fire these old teachers yet they'll be at the UTEP job fair this friday to hire new teachers.. what??? does not make sense! age discrimination??? perhaps
ohwow

El Paso, TX

#12 Apr 14, 2011
Meeting wrote:
I went to hear Dr. Murphy speak about all of this a two weeks ago. He made a compelling case, and one thing he pointed out was that Ysleta had passed their TRE. Then, I notice in today's paper that Ysleta isn't cutting much at all. Connection? I think so. I am going to support this.
of course this happened, that way the next time (soon) Ysleta wants to raise taxes again, people will vote YES since they saw the so called "results". what did you think, that they were going to lay off people to anger tax payers after they voted yes and help with their salary increases? it's all games and tactics..
Chevy Grrrl

Dallas, TX

#13 Apr 14, 2011
Problem wrote:
What about the problem of a Trustee who sues the district that she is supposed to represent? Could Monica Cazares' ridiculous $75K payout have been used to save a teaching position that is truly needed? What about the $20K the board spent ont travel to Chicago?...or Travel to San Francisco? You want to trim?...start by the unnencessary board travel and payouts!
Look - this is not about petty issues. If you (and others) have a problem with Board members or the way they conduct their business, that's fine. But we are talking about MUCH larger issues for our students and staff. Should the entire vote be dumped because people don't like a board member??

Cut the board travel, cut the watering (??), take the 75K back from Ms Casares, fire all the board members and hand pick the replacements..... GUESS WHAT? You still desperately need the TRE!!

Wake up Canutillo! Pass this "Decision Canutillo" vote.
not true

El Paso, TX

#14 Apr 14, 2011
Cant Afford what wrote:
Canutillo cannot afford NOT to pass the upcoming TRE and Bond.
"Joe" where is the waste? Give specifics. How much do you pay a year in taxes to CISD? What does that break down to per day?
Canutillo: How much do you pay in taxes to CISD?
Let's say you pay $1500 a year in property taxes to CISD. There are 180 instructional days, so you are paying $8.33 a day to instruct a child. Divide that by the number of hours in a day (let's say it's 7) and you get 1.19 per hour. That is what you pay to give a child an education. Now, imagine you have 2 kids: That means you are paying 60 cents an hour! The more kids you have, the less per hour you are paying.
What if you have no kids? Do you have grandkids? Is less than $1.20 per hour worth it to give a child an education? I say it is.
I suppose it is all about priorities. Some communities embrace education and feel it is important. Some do not.
Where do you fall?
your numbers don't make sense at all.. it doesn't take $1.19 per hour to educate a kid or 60 cents if you have two, bla bla bla...

there are waaaaay more tax payers than kids in school, so in reality, for every kid being educated, about a thousand or more tax payers pay for that one kid. all you need to do is divide the number of tax payers for that particular district by the number of kids in that district and your numbers are way off.. It's more like $1,200/day to educate one kid!
Numbers

El Paso, TX

#15 Apr 14, 2011
I think they were saying what it cost one family not the entire district to educate a kid
Canutillo Sucks

El Paso, TX

#16 Apr 14, 2011
The Corrupted School District has shown its corruptedness
Parent 1

Dallas, TX

#17 Apr 14, 2011
All the talk about the TRE. What about the bond? In 2006 a school was promised near Resler drive. Five years have gone by and there is still no school. The bond needs passed so we can get the school built.
Si como no

El Paso, TX

#18 Apr 14, 2011
Probably 32 teachers that voted for Republicans, well they haven't gotten rid of illegals, but they sure got rid of over one hundred thousand teachers across the board.
What Fat

Santa Clara, CA

#19 Apr 14, 2011
ohwow wrote:
they want to fire these old teachers yet they'll be at the UTEP job fair this friday to hire new teachers.. what??? does not make sense! age discrimination??? perhaps
What are you talking about? Read the article. They're not firing experienced teachers. They're firing first year teachers.

And who said anything about utep?

Man! People on this forum can be so stupid.
Steve El Paso-Rockport

Aransas Pass, TX

#20 Apr 14, 2011
"Canutillo" is an ignorant coward - making uniformed remarks behind an anonymous screen name. Take the challenge that the others offered and go see the Supt and show us the "fat".

Supt Murphy called me after I wrote a guest editorial on area school finances a couple of Sundays ago. Both he and Sergio Coronado are especially competent individuals to have for a small district.

The El Paso Times needs to switch to verified postings only - that way people will have to stand behind what they post.
Propaganda

El Paso, TX

#21 Apr 14, 2011
Murphy and his cohorts are really monitoring this blog to promote the TRE/Bond and push for more taxes, while the district continues to run ineffeciently. The district needs to tighten its belt, just like everyone else does when less money is coming in.

And where do you get the $1,500 a year in property taxes? What a joke! Because currently my CISD property taxes run me about $7000 a year. Let me say that again--MY CISD PROPERTY TAXES RUN $7,000 A YEAR, and you want me to pay more? I don't think so! VOTE NO! And learn to live within your means.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canutillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun 13 robert 994
la tuna federal prison camp (Apr '06) Jun 8 Lil momma 279
News Five arrested in school cheating indictments in... May '16 Petro 2
News Stabbing suspect surrenders (Dec '05) Dec '15 Garry TURDeau 2
News Romero criticizes El Paso Times investigation (Nov '15) Nov '15 chicken little 5
News Woman charged with fraud in alleged Ariana Gran... (Oct '15) Oct '15 a fan 2
Governor's energy plan sets up New Mexico for n... (Sep '15) Sep '15 John Ford 1

Canutillo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Canutillo Mortgages