Letters: Tax suggestions

Letters: Tax suggestions

There are 19 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jan 17, 2011, titled Letters: Tax suggestions. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

The elected officials need to understand the citizens of the state of Texas, and the city and county of El Paso, are basically tapped out.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Kyle

El Paso, TX

#1 Jan 18, 2011
James W. Russell Jr.: Letter title is Tax suggestions

Question: Why are you so excited that you found things to tax?

You wrote:'The elected officials need to understand the citizens of the state of Texas, and the city and county of El Paso, are basically tapped out.'

I want to know why we never see letters where people make suggestions as to where to CUT back. All you did was suggest higher/more taxes. There will never be enough tax money if politicians just spend spend and spend.

The problem is we always think the other person should pay more because someone else spent to much.

Start cutting back and stop asking the "Government" to give you, or provide you, everything.

I can't afford to support anyone else.
Liam

United States

#2 Jan 18, 2011
Kyle wrote:
You wrote:'The elected officials need to understand the citizens of the state of Texas, and the city and county of El Paso, are basically tapped out.'
I want to know why we never see letters where people make suggestions as to where to CUT back. All you did was suggest higher/more taxes. There will never be enough tax money if politicians just spend spend and spend.
The problem is we always think the other person should pay more because someone else spent to much.
Start cutting back and stop asking the "Government" to give you, or provide you, everything.
I can afford to support others, but I don't want my tax money going to support the gay lifestyle. If they cut out this benefit deal, I'd be willing to fork over more for cocktails and other luxuries because I know that our President has said we are our brother's keeper. I just don't consider the gays to be my brothers.
Paco

El Paso, TX

#3 Jan 18, 2011
On Taxes

Here is what Gov. Susana Martinez (R) is saying in New Mexico.

'ALBUQUERQUE - Cutting state spending is the only path that will lead New Mexico to prosperity, Gov. Susana Martinez said Monday.

In a preview of the State of the State speech she will deliver today, Martinez said New Mexico's government had overspent for eight years and hurt ordinary people in the process.

Instead of "digging deeper into the pockets of New Mexico taxpayers," the state must correct its mistaken policies by reducing its budget, she said during an appearance at a factory in northwest Albuquerque. "We are scrubbing every corner" to find waste and eliminate it, she said.'

El Paso, and the state, doesn't need ANY more taxes; we need spending control and spending CUTS.
Bobby

El Paso, TX

#4 Jan 18, 2011
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
I can afford to support others, but I don't want my tax money going to support the gay lifestyle. If they cut out this benefit deal, I'd be willing to fork over more for cocktails and other luxuries because I know that our President has said we are our brother's keeper. I just don't consider the gays to be my brothers.
Obama, a millionaire, doesn't even help is own brother in Kenya. Obama's aunt lives in public housing, on welfare and public assistance. We don't need BO lecturing us on 'brother's keeper'.

MTK

Mccoy, CO

#5 Jan 18, 2011
Yet more drivel from the religious zealots who promote blatant discrimination.

Of course, we love the bigot but hate the bigotry.
Liam

El Paso, TX

#6 Jan 18, 2011
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama, a millionaire, doesn't even help is own brother in Kenya. Obama's aunt lives in public housing, on welfare and public assistance. We don't need BO lecturing us on 'brother's keeper'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =wG4Hz2lnzZ8XX
Look, you don't have to like it but it is what it is. Leaders always get a free pass when it comes to their own behavior - just look at Clinton. But we elect them for a reason which includes the fact that they know best. I'm sure there are extenuating circumstances as to why the President's family is the way it is. I wouldn't send money to Kenya either as it's likely to be intercepted by someone in the military dictatorship and used for a junta. We all just need to suck it up and bite the bullet in my opinion. You don't have to agree but just see my side of things.
not a tax lover

El Paso, TX

#7 Jan 18, 2011
Kyle wrote:
kyle, james has a point in some ways. go to thomason and get a survey on how many people come in for smoking or alcohol related problems and pay nothing. out taxes pay it. therefore by raising taxes on tobacco and alcohol at least the person who is going in to thomason for the free treatment has paid something into the system. some people like to call it sin taxes. i look at it as taxing dumbazzzes who smoke knowing what it does to heart and lung along with liquor taxes that make more dumbazzzes into alcoholics and fry their liver along with making diabetes worse.
james russell

El Paso, TX

#8 Jan 18, 2011
Kyle wrote:
I guess you don't understand tongue and cheek humor! as we don't have the money to give. how abotu you don't buy any beer, stop smoking, stop driving and use the buses oh and stop whining if you don't have a better sense of humor.
Too Simplistic

El Paso, TX

#9 Jan 18, 2011
Kyle, do you have any suggestions where certain programs can be cut? They are cutting funding for MHMR which is and absolutely nutty (pun intended) idea. Where else would you find programs to cut?
Kyle wrote:
Say what

El Paso, TX

#10 Jan 18, 2011
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, you don't have to like it but it is what it is. Leaders always get a free pass when it comes to their own behavior - just look at Clinton. But we elect them for a reason which includes the fact that they know best. I'm sure there are extenuating circumstances as to why the President's family is the way it is. I wouldn't send money to Kenya either as it's likely to be intercepted by someone in the military dictatorship and used for a junta. We all just need to suck it up and bite the bullet in my opinion. You don't have to agree but just see my side of things.
It's not a fact that they know best. If you look at life in the United States as a whole, I we are going through present problems because our leaders don't know best. Most were elected because they were able to fool the people and those that have something on the ball can't advance because of those that fooled us. I really can't see your side of things.
Too Simplistic

El Paso, TX

#11 Jan 18, 2011
Let me follow your logic and see where it leads me. If you eat fast food at least once a week, eat lots of red meat, and other very fatty foods, I believe they should have dumbazz glutton tax. The reason for this is that all this garbage food causes high blood pressure, obesity, fatty liver which can lead to cirrhosis, gout, etc. etc. etc. These people also get to go to the hospital tax free. You would not happen to be one of the gluttons, would you?
not a tax lover wrote:
<quoted text>
kyle, james has a point in some ways. go to thomason and get a survey on how many people come in for smoking or alcohol related problems and pay nothing. out taxes pay it. therefore by raising taxes on tobacco and alcohol at least the person who is going in to thomason for the free treatment has paid something into the system. some people like to call it sin taxes. i look at it as taxing dumbazzzes who smoke knowing what it does to heart and lung along with liquor taxes that make more dumbazzzes into alcoholics and fry their liver along with making diabetes worse.
Really Are YOU for Real

El Paso, TX

#12 Jan 18, 2011
STOP providing any type of service to illegal aliens...are you people so damn dense that you don't realize that millions upon millions of your tax dollars are going to educate, house, and feed them??? WTF is wrong with you people, would you rather suffer so that they can have a better lifestyle than you??? BTW, this message is directed at the 53% of El Pasoans that pay property, etc. taxes, not the freeloeders and people without pride who would rather live on the government dole.

And, the city council is trying to make an end run around the majority wishes, putting in an anti -discrimination clause...VOTE it down, and VOTE them out!!
simplistic the smartazzz

El Paso, TX

#13 Jan 18, 2011
Too Simplistic wrote:
Let me follow your logic and see where it leads me. If you eat fast food at least once a week, eat lots of red meat, and other very fatty foods, I believe they should have dumbazz glutton tax. The reason for this is that all this garbage food causes high blood pressure, obesity, fatty liver which can lead to cirrhosis, gout, etc. etc. etc. These people also get to go to the hospital tax free. You would not happen to be one of the gluttons, would you?
<quoted text>
im 5'11" and 175. i guess your a smoker and a drinker. its too hard to tax fatazzzes but there are many more people at thomason for drinking and smoking compared to eating mexican lard.
Too Simplistic

El Paso, TX

#14 Jan 18, 2011
Please let me in on how you obtained this statistical knowledge about the patients at Thomason. Perhaps you can post me a link. That is, unless you are making that up.
simplistic the smartazzz wrote:
<quoted text>
im 5'11" and 175. i guess your a smoker and a drinker. its too hard to tax fatazzzes but there are many more people at thomason for drinking and smoking compared to eating mexican lard.
RETIRED

El Paso, TX

#15 Jan 18, 2011
There is a definite need for a few more "Judge it" selections for example

Totally off their rocker
stupid to the max
Daddy's condom broke
james russell

El Paso, TX

#16 Jan 18, 2011
How about A selection : Who Made You GOD?
Why don't you post somewhere else
S_R_J

United States

#17 Jan 19, 2011
MTK wrote:
Yet more drivel from the religious zealots who promote blatant discrimination.
Of course, we love the bigot but hate the bigotry.
Dude,

You have no idea what discrimination, hate, or bigotry is. I am sure you have a job with benefits and you are able to eat at a restaurant and drink from the same water fountain as the rest of us. We are not religious zealots but Roman Catholics who adhere to God's Law, not laws created by man for the will of man. God's law is far more superior than any law that man can create.
ued

El Paso, TX

#18 Jan 20, 2011
S_R_J wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude,
You have no idea what discrimination, hate, or bigotry is. I am sure you have a job with benefits and you are able to eat at a restaurant and drink from the same water fountain as the rest of us. We are not religious zealots but Roman Catholics who adhere to God's Law, not laws created by man for the will of man. God's law is far more superior than any law that man can create.
This is not Jesus Land. This is not Catholic Jesus Land. This the United States Of America. There is no religious test and there is a separation of church and state. Your pope and his brother are pedophiles. Every place,in the world,where there is catholic churches,there is priests that molest little boys. Germany,Switzerland,USA,France ,England,Mexico and on,on and on.If your church is so good,I'd hate to see a bad church.
Steve

Austin, TX

#19 Jan 24, 2011
Not to defend anyone, but are you saying it's the fault of the church or the fault of the person?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canutillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Apr 1 haha 981
News Stabbing suspect surrenders (Dec '05) Dec '15 Garry TURDeau 2
News Romero criticizes El Paso Times investigation Nov '15 chicken little 5
News Woman charged with fraud in alleged Ariana Gran... (Oct '15) Oct '15 a fan 2
Governor's energy plan sets up New Mexico for n... (Sep '15) Sep '15 John Ford 1
News Former El Paso County sheriff's deputy indicted... (Aug '15) Aug '15 DC Dave 5
News U.S. Marshals searching for escaped La Tuna pri... (Jul '15) Jul '15 butters_ 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Canutillo Mortgages