Local elections today: Cities' politi...

Local elections today: Cities' political makeup, school cuts at stake

There are 51 comments on the El Paso Times story from May 13, 2011, titled Local elections today: Cities' political makeup, school cuts at stake. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Canutillo school district superintendent Damon Murphy, center, uses a step ladder to urge people to exercise their right to vote in today's bond and tax ratification election in Canutillo.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Episd

El Paso, TX

#41 May 14, 2011
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
I love higher taxes because I like to help my fellow man, society, and students. I don't support Garcia. I support having and creating jobs for all. That takes money pure and simple. DUH.
I guess that means one less vote for Garcia. Thanks, if you voted aganist Garcia or more correctly, aganist those that will be nothing but a YES YES YES vote for what he wants, good for you....If higher taxes were used wisely, I would stand with you and not complain, but if my taxes are wasted on stupidity, then I do not want any of it. Jobs are good, goverment jobs are bad, those working should not have to support those working but doing nothing..We need the police, the fire department, EMS, and other important public sevants but we do not need over bloated school districts with overlaying jobs upon jobs all doing the same thing...we need a good adminstrator in office that will see that teaching is more important than 100,000 dollar tennis courts, and 18,000 dollar bonus checks, while his people are hurting...hopefully Garcia will go and someone better suited will solve the many problems we have.
Cathy

El Paso, TX

#42 May 14, 2011
Does anyone know why the domestic partners referendum wasn't on the ballot?
Qwerty

United States

#43 May 14, 2011
No. No. And NO!!!
Qwerty

United States

#44 May 14, 2011
Fire Garcia while we are at it
TexasGirl

El Paso, TX

#45 May 14, 2011
If you are a voter in Canutillo and you have not voted, please vote yes for TRE. Our students deserve to have the best teachers and classes that are small enough to learn and so they can get help from the teacher. Go and vote Yes now do not wait and then tomorrow say,"Well, I should have voted yes on TRE.
Episd

El Paso, TX

#46 May 14, 2011
Qwerty wrote:
Fire Garcia while we are at it
Garcia has to go. Canutillo voters please donot get dupped by this TRE vote no. I do not live in Canutillo but if your community votes YES on the TRE your taxes will go up and soon you will be like the EPISD district. Over taxed and under represented and soon your own school district will end up like EPISD...corrupt and ran poorly. More money is not the anwser and never will be the anwser...only better management to spend the money. Ask yourself if new air conditioners will make better students? Or ask who the vendor is that will install all those new conditioners and how the contract was gotten. Low bidder from someone out of our area....or you might end up with 100,000 dollar tennis courts. Will it be for the comfort of the students or something else? Can your school board and superintendent say for sure that is where some of your tax money will go or will it disappear going here and there like EPISD spends its funds. We will all soon know how the voting went, lets pray and hope it went aganist corruption and for honest and open leadership through out all our districts.
Linda

United States

#47 May 14, 2011
All the bonds have passed, per EP Times at 7:30. Great news for all and thanks to all for your wholehearted support. I love you all.
lbgodines

El Paso, TX

#48 May 14, 2011
El Paso should have one school district for the whole county. The majority of the money goes to administration and not the teachers or the classroom. By illiminating multiple school districts , you will not have one school district better off than the others. Also, those who do not own property and pay property taxes should be charged to send their kids to school. If you are not American you should not be in the schools wether you pay taxes or not.
Linda

United States

#49 May 14, 2011
lbgodines wrote:
El Paso should have one school district for the whole county. The majority of the money goes to administration and not the teachers or the classroom. By illiminating multiple school districts , you will not have one school district better off than the others. Also, those who do not own property and pay property taxes should be charged to send their kids to school. If you are not American you should not be in the schools wether you pay taxes or not.
Quit crying in your beer. You lost tonight so get over it. The kids won and we'll all be better off for it.
Louis

United States

#50 May 15, 2011
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
Quit crying in your beer. You lost tonight so get over it. The kids won and we'll all be better off for it.
Most of the dirtbags in here said they couldn't be arsed by the need to help the kids but fortunately most of the people in El Paso are kind and want to help others. Good show on getting the bond passed.
CVF

El Paso, TX

#51 May 20, 2011
Good job Canutillo!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canutillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman charged with fraud in alleged Ariana Gran... (Oct '15) Apr 5 A fan 14
la tuna federal prison camp (Apr '06) Mar '17 Smkelly 284
News Canutillo considers opposing low-income housing Feb '17 butters_ 1
Vinton Music Thread Feb '17 Musikologist 2
News Immigrants fear license checks (Nov '06) Aug '16 DC Dave 21
News Severe weather warnings issued in Borderland (Aug '16) Aug '16 huey goins 3
News Obama commutes life sentence of El Pasoan (Aug '16) Aug '16 Dirk Butterworth 9

Canutillo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Canutillo Mortgages