Poll: Voters back Canutillo bond

Poll: Voters back Canutillo bond

There are 42 comments on the El Paso Times story from Apr 27, 2011, titled Poll: Voters back Canutillo bond. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Voters in the Canutillo Independent School District are more interested in a tax increase to build and maintain schools than in helping fund the maintenance and operation of the district, according to a new El Paso Times poll.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Tim Holt

United States

#1 Apr 28, 2011
At the end of the day, the question should be this for our Canutillo community: "Is what I am about to vote on going to help or hurt our students and schools?" If I think it will help, then I should vote YES. If I think it will hurt the students, then I should vote "No." It shouldn't be all about "ME." Yes, it will cost more. Yes it will increase my taxes. But progress is not made by sitting still. We have to remember the concept of the "Common good." Can Canutillo ISD do better with a TRE and Bond? Yes it can. This type of election is an investment in the future of a community. The easy way out is simply to vote NO. The more difficult thing to do is to vote YES, be farsighted instead of short sighted, get involved with the district to make sure the funds are properly spent, and to make an investment now that will pay off for our children and our teachers.

The state continues to take away from school districts. Just look here for the latest projected cuts: http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/scho...

I urge everyone in the CISD community to make the difficult, but right choice, and vote yes for the BOND and the TRE.

Tim Holt
Chair, DC2011 PAC
CISD teach

United States

#2 Apr 28, 2011
I hope voters realize this TRE means actual teachers. We are losing professionals because of this. The voters need to understand it! My co-worker is losing his job and it's all because this community can't invest in its children.

Vote YES on the TRE Canutillo!
Concern

El Paso, TX

#3 Apr 28, 2011
The 23% better be part of the smart voters that will use their "educated sense" and block this ridiculous notion that Canutillo can afford to pump more money into the school system. This is why Canutillo looks like a "dump"!
AliceInWonderlan d

El Paso, TX

#4 Apr 28, 2011
Vote YES for the Tre - "It's for the Children". Sorry - that line is soooo old - Tell your friend to stop crying - m o v e -
4everEagle

Dallas, TX

#5 Apr 28, 2011
The 32 teachers (and their students) that were already fired deserve our support. You might not like it, but please vote yes. Also, more will be fired if it doesn't pass. They aren't kidding!
Louis

United States

#6 Apr 28, 2011
4everEagle wrote:
The 32 teachers (and their students) that were already fired deserve our support. You might not like it, but please vote yes. Also, more will be fired if it doesn't pass. They aren't kidding!
Good show. I plan to vote yes as many times as I can because we need this money for our children. It's not right for them to suffer because of greedy grownups who can't make up their minds and want to cut sorely needed money from our kids in order to live it up themselves. Everyone who votes no should have to go to a school and look these kids in the eye and tell them why they don't matter to society anymore and then take them out for a sandwich since the cafeterias will be forced to serve gruel and worse if this fails. Hopefully, most people will feel like I do and this will all be a mute point.
Miguel G

Katy, TX

#7 Apr 28, 2011
Everyone who has vested interest in the City of Canutillo and CISD should vote yes on BOTH measures. The fact that the poll shows the bond is favored to pass and the TRE is not simply shows the ignorance of ill-informed voters.
This is a local issue with the tax revenue raised being invested in our own backyard. This money is not going to the state legislature (who has created this school funding mess), nor is it going to pay for the out of control spending in Washington. This revenue is going to be spent in Canutillo, where we will all be able to see how it is being utilized.
Give our new superintendent and the board a chance to enact their plan. Don't be ignorant and assume it will be spent wastefully. Most people opposed to these funding measures don't even try to realize the position they have been put in. It's easy to yell from the gallery.
Those who vote no on either measure lack foresight when it comes to the future success of the Canutillo community. I am a fiscal conservative, but even I know that a slight increase in local taxes is sometimes necessary (especially now with the inaction of our state legislature) to ensure the proper investment in our schools.
FIRED

El Paso, TX

#8 Apr 28, 2011
4everEagle wrote:
I did not know that "students" were employees of CISD and could be fired along with the teachers. If that is correct, then all School Districts in El Paso County should fire all their students as these young folks do not much to the system. Very interesting statement that you made.
Suppertime

El Paso, TX

#9 Apr 28, 2011
Louis wrote:
<quoted text>
Good show. I plan to vote yes as many times as I can because we need this money for our children. It's not right for them to suffer because of greedy grownups who can't make up their minds and want to cut sorely needed money from our kids in order to live it up themselves. Everyone who votes no should have to go to a school and look these kids in the eye and tell them why they don't matter to society anymore and then take them out for a sandwich since the cafeterias will be forced to serve gruel and worse if this fails. Hopefully, most people will feel like I do and this will all be a mute point.
Please do not poke fun at gruel; I was raised on it and enjoy it to this very day. Nothing better than leftovers cooked in one pot. Saves time, money, and water.
SAVE OUR TEACHERS

United States

#11 Apr 28, 2011
Save our teachers!!!!! Vote YES!!!!!
Fastball

El Paso, TX

#12 Apr 28, 2011
You all are stupid if you think your going to raise our taxes again. We all know this tax increase would only be used to pay for increasing administrator, Central office, and Teacher salaries, not schools or for "the kids". Don't be fooled, vote NO on the upcoming Canutillo Tax ripoff election. I am.
Erin

El Paso, TX

#13 Apr 28, 2011
If you all pass the TRE, you'll be the only district in El Paso who got fooled. All the other districts voted no, now it's your turn Canutillo. Vote No to these moneyhungry people.
CanutilloWantsYo urMoney

El Paso, TX

#14 Apr 28, 2011
It's for the children. Ha Ha Ha Ha what a propaganda piece of doodoo.
I vote Hec No

El Paso, TX

#15 Apr 28, 2011
The teachers want you to vote yes on the TRE so that they can buy a brand new 2012 SUV. They need a new one cuz their 2011 Lincoln Navigator is getting old. Have you seen all the nice, new vehicles in their schools parking lots? Were not dumb, you know.
ohmygosh

Scottsdale, AZ

#16 Apr 28, 2011
El paso times, your headline is very misleading. While 42% of the voters support the bond according to you all, 35% don't and 23% are undecided, meaning the majority of the voters may not support this bond. If you are voting yes because you think you will save teaching jobs and rehire those who have been fired, then you have been brainwashed! School officials are using their usual scare tactics and threatning everyone to get what they want, not what they need! If you vote yes this time, a year or two from now new excuses and tactics will come up to keep raising your taxes.

It will NEVER stop and school officials will NEVER be satisfied regardless of how much money they get. BE SMART, VOTE NO! Schools will be just fine, don't let yourself be misunformed or brainwashed.
Finepix

Pflugerville, TX

#17 Apr 28, 2011
Someone has to say it - SCREW THE CHILDREN! Politicians have gone to the well too many time with this whine.
reality

Scottsdale, AZ

#18 Apr 28, 2011
Save your homes, Vote NO!
Vote Yes

El Paso, TX

#19 Apr 28, 2011
Erin wrote:
If you all pass the TRE, you'll be the only district in El Paso who got fooled. All the other districts voted no, now it's your turn Canutillo. Vote No to these moneyhungry people.
Ysleta and San Elizario both have a passed and successful TRE. Get your facts straight before you spout!
reality

El Paso, TX

#20 Apr 28, 2011
SAVE OUR TEACHERS wrote:
Save our teachers!!!!! Vote YES!!!!!
Save Your Homes, Vote NO!!!
Scare tactics

El Paso, TX

#21 Apr 28, 2011
If you all don't vote yes on the TRE, then the kids will start to wander the streets aimlessly looking for food and shelter, and then they will be eaten alive by Bigfoot. (Don't fall for their scare tactics).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canutillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Immigrants fear license checks (Nov '06) 5 hr village idiot 13
News Severe weather warnings issued in Borderland Aug 23 huey goins 3
la tuna federal prison camp (Apr '06) Aug 16 John B 281
News Obama commutes life sentence of El Pasoan Aug 6 Dirk Butterworth 9
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun '16 robert 994
News Five arrested in school cheating indictments in... May '16 Petro 2
News Stabbing suspect surrenders (Dec '05) Dec '15 Garry TURDeau 2

Canutillo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Canutillo Mortgages