Letters: Mountain tunnel

Letters: Mountain tunnel

There are 26 comments on the El Paso Times story from Apr 20, 2011, titled Letters: Mountain tunnel. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Mr. Mayor John Cook and dear El Pasoans: How about drilling a couple of tunnels through the Franklins to connect the Northeast with I-10 West and return in a second tunnel from the West Side to the Northeast.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
PeaceMan

El Paso, TX

#1 Apr 21, 2011
Getting rid of or "cutting" war is like getting rid of flies. The Military-Industrial Complex is America's number one employer. Corporations own us. Corporations thrive on wars. The United States has 43% of the World's total expenditures on Weapons. But you are right: CUT WARS!

U.S.A. out of Libya!
U.S.A. out of Iraq!

Peace.
Really Are YOU For REAL

United States

#2 Apr 21, 2011
Mountain Tunnel: Good Luck with that! The City Council can't walk and chew gum at the same time.
Bobby

El Paso, TX

#3 Apr 21, 2011
Reina Astudillo of Canutillo

Feds Say All-Caps Street Signs Cause Accidents:

"All U.S. Local Governments Must Change Street Signs."

The Federal Highway Administration Is ordering all local governments across the nation to make the changes.

And Lynn Olson Deming - protecting the welfare of the citizens of the US does not mean food stamps and free health care. It means protecting your right to WORK for a living. Your letter is filled with lies.

Since: Sep 08

Houston, but living in El Paso

#5 Apr 21, 2011
Really Are YOU For REAL wrote:
Mountain Tunnel: Good Luck with that! The City Council can't walk and chew gum at the same time.
OMG, I am actually laughing out loud. I totally agree with what you are saying! And yes, it would be nice to have a tunnel to ease the growing traffic congestion plaguing this city. But, I doubt this will make any headway during my lifetime here in El Paso.

Thanks for making my day!!!

Sincerely,
Gary_G
Voter

El Paso, TX

#6 Apr 21, 2011
If Reina Astudillo needs a line to determine what lane she is in she should quit driving and turn in her drivers license. These people are dangeous and could have a head on collision and kill somebody. Get off the road.
mike

El Paso, TX

#7 Apr 21, 2011
I believe thats why we have trans mt and scenic drive...
mike

El Paso, TX

#8 Apr 21, 2011
i believe thats why we have trans mt and scenic dr
Lloyd

United States

#9 Apr 21, 2011
The main concern that I have about this tunnel is how big it is. I've had to turn around on turnpikes before in the Appalachians because my Winnebago wouldn't fit through. My wife and I drive to visit our daughter once a year in Portland and if we're not allowed to pass, I won't be able to see my grandson. I hope that Council keeps this in mind when they start digging.
james russell ret

El Paso, TX

#10 Apr 21, 2011
The reason we have Scenic Drive is the City Council long time ago wanted a place to show off El Paso and the CCC/WPA was given the funds to employ strong unemployed young and middle aged men so their families had money during the depression. Transmountain was built to ease the traffic on I10. The time to get from Gateway South and Transmountain to Resler and Mesa traveling at the speed limit is the same going over Transmountain as it is going round about via I10 to Gateway North and Transmountain.

A tunnel would cost too much money and about the only place that would be short enough would be through McKelligon Canyon ending up opposite either Thunderbird drive or 5800 North Stanton. No place for any trucks or heavy traffic flow.

Now if you could start it through the Mayor's neighborhood and extend it through to Coronado Country Club, that would be nice.
NO Tunnel

United States

#11 Apr 21, 2011
Hey dufus, do you know how much $$$ one tunnel would cost, let alone 2! What have you been smoking? Get out into the real world & stop smoking that dope cause it has made you stupid!
Bobby

El Paso, TX

#12 Apr 21, 2011
james russell ret wrote:
The reason we have Scenic Drive is the City Council long time ago wanted a place to show off El Paso and the CCC/WPA was given the funds to employ strong unemployed young and middle aged men so their families had money during the depression....
Come on jr ret:

Almost immediately after taking office in 1933, new President Franklin D. Roosevelt proposed a flurry of government programs designed to lift the country out of the depression. Convening a special session of Congress, Roosevelt outlined relief measures targeting high unemployment, low wages, unstable banks, and providing aid for industry and agriculture. Almost all of Roosevelt's proposed bills were passed by Congress. A top priority of the programs was to get the people out of bread lines and into sustainable work.

Thirty-seven days after Roosevelt's inauguration, the first enrollee signed into the Emergency Conservation Work, later re-named the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).

Building Scenic Drive was no easy feat. The project was begun in March 1920 and completed by the end of the year, with a chain gang helping with early construction of the road. http://dnn.epcc.edu/nwlibrary/borderlands/19_...
Gus

United States

#13 Apr 21, 2011
PeaceMan wrote:
Getting rid of or "cutting" war is like getting rid of flies. The Military-Industrial Complex is America's number one employer. Corporations own us. Corporations thrive on wars. The United States has 43% of the World's total expenditures on Weapons. But you are right: CUT WARS!
U.S.A. out of Libya!
U.S.A. out of Iraq!
Peace.
Peace through superior firepower! We could elimiate ALL the funding for the wars in Iraq and Afgahistan and we would still have the crushing debt of out of control entitlements as well as Obamacare and the non-stimulating stimulus. Even today, defense spending accounts for about 12% of the total federal budget. And when you take into account 47% of Americans in the $50k to $175K income range did NOT pay ANY taxes in 2010, that's where the money is missing from to help pay for all the liberals' favorite welfare programs. Cutting war, as you so cutely put it, is like an obese person trying to lose wight by cutting their toenails.
Proud American

El Paso, TX

#14 Apr 21, 2011
A few years ago I constantly saw students panhandling on the street corners. There were even some grownups with them. Instead of working to earn the money, they begged for it. Now they have gotten better because they are selling items, i.e. bottled water. In Horizon City, I even saw students and grownups standing in the middle of the road trying to sell things. Couldn't believe my eyes on how stupid they were.

Why do I know they were students, they were wearing shirts/jerseys with the school name on them.

To those students that work for the money, you are few and far between.
el pasoan

United States

#15 Apr 21, 2011
wow, is this person that has asked the mayor to look into this really serious.. damn, could u imgaine the amount of money it would take to complete a project of this magnitude. we r struggling to get dollar per dollar to bring our infrastructure up to date.. do u think this would actually work. perhaps in a larger city than el paso. a toll road would not be a bad project... it would really eliminate alot of commuters from transmountain and would probably serve the ft bliss community more.. but to ask the city more importantly the mayor to look into this? its like asking a kid to ask their parents for $100 when they r broke. think responsibly....stay off drugs...ms letter writer
Radcon

Littleton, CO

#16 Apr 21, 2011
Don't blame the herb dude, the mayor may be smoking rocks but not herb.
SnB

El Paso, TX

#17 Apr 21, 2011
Gus wrote:
<quoted text>
Peace through superior firepower! We could elimiate ALL the funding for the wars in Iraq and Afgahistan and we would still have the crushing debt of out of control entitlements as well as Obamacare and the non-stimulating stimulus. Even today, defense spending accounts for about 12% of the total federal budget. And when you take into account 47% of Americans in the $50k to $175K income range did NOT pay ANY taxes in 2010, that's where the money is missing from to help pay for all the liberals' favorite welfare programs. Cutting war, as you so cutely put it, is like an obese person trying to lose wight by cutting their toenails.
I'm not too sure about your figures there Gus, but I love the analogy!
Golly Gee

El Paso, TX

#18 Apr 21, 2011
Gary_G wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG, I am actually laughing out loud. I totally agree with what you are saying! And yes, it would be nice to have a tunnel to ease the growing traffic congestion plaguing this city. But, I doubt this will make any headway during my lifetime here in El Paso.
Thanks for making my day!!!
Sincerely,
Gary_G
Talk about destruction of the mountain!!!!!!!! Do you have any idea what sort of a nasy scar that would leave and the interior structure to prevent collapse concocted by those "master builders of the rock wall" I don't think so. Maybe it would be feasible if certified builders were hired with proven experience and legal status confirmed and then manned with armed police security to prevent the cartels or terrorists from planting explosives inside.

Frankly the mountains are already so defaced as to be a disgrace with roads and houses and rock quarries and a ban on ANY FURTHER construction of any kind should be permanently banned and if one of those glorified mansions on the hill collapses consider it Gods Will and let it be.
Golly Gee

El Paso, TX

#19 Apr 21, 2011
Voter wrote:
If Reina Astudillo needs a line to determine what lane she is in she should quit driving and turn in her drivers license. These people are dangeous and could have a head on collision and kill somebody. Get off the road.
You should drive on my street NO MARKINGS of anykind and idiots in SUVs and oversize trucks park 2 feet from a curb so you can't see what is coming then a block away it NARROWS to less than 14 feet wide with parking on both sides and still no markings.
A few days ago I had backed out of my very narrow drive hampered visually by a big Red Suv blocking view to the right and a trailer loaded with junked cars to the left. I had barely gotten into the lane to turn to the right and go forward when an idiot in a big truck came flying down the street passed me on the left barely missing both my car and The SUV parked at the curb.......went straight throught the stop sign at the corner ignored the school zone warning and passed a school bus loading kids in front of a school!! Then he stops in the middle of the street to collect his kids..........yours or mine could have been hit but he was not going to be deterred from getting his NOW!
AND There are still NO MARKINGS on the streets for lanes so I guess that on my street and others in this area we can make our own lanes and rules.........
Wendy

United States

#20 Apr 21, 2011
Golly Gee wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk about destruction of the mountain!!!!!!!! Do you have any idea what sort of a nasy scar that would leave and the interior structure to prevent collapse concocted by those "master builders of the rock wall" I don't think so. Maybe it would be feasible if certified builders were hired with proven experience and legal status confirmed and then manned with armed police security to prevent the cartels or terrorists from planting explosives inside.
Frankly the mountains are already so defaced as to be a disgrace with roads and houses and rock quarries and a ban on ANY FURTHER construction of any kind should be permanently banned and if one of those glorified mansions on the hill collapses consider it Gods Will and let it be.
It's folks like you and the guy who asked earlier about his Winnebago that give El Paso the reputation that it has. Why would terrorists want to bomb a mountain? Why would anyone hire someone who isn't certified and bonded? If the mountains are defaced, why would you resist a building project? No offense, dude, but pull your head out and post something logical. This forum is not for the perverse nor the ignorant.
Coolluck

Lubbock, TX

#21 Apr 21, 2011
I support the tunnel idea. Yes, it's costly, but if anybody honestly thinks that Scenic Drive and Transmountain are efficient alternatives, then they must be quite insane. Still, the priority should be to finish the Northeast Parkway. That is the true bypass of the city, not trying to build up in the mountains. How many truckers will use that route? It's not even safe.

Please use some common sense and see that the freeway they want to build on the West Side is so that they can keep building like crazy over there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canutillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
la tuna federal prison camp (Apr '06) Jul 20 Beenthere 280
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun '16 robert 994
News Five arrested in school cheating indictments in... May '16 Petro 2
News Stabbing suspect surrenders (Dec '05) Dec '15 Garry TURDeau 2
News Romero criticizes El Paso Times investigation (Nov '15) Nov '15 chicken little 5
News Woman charged with fraud in alleged Ariana Gran... (Oct '15) Oct '15 a fan 2
Governor's energy plan sets up New Mexico for n... (Sep '15) Sep '15 John Ford 1

Canutillo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Canutillo Mortgages