Bonds, tax increases, board seats on school ballots

Full story: El Paso Times

Escontrias Elementary School students made up the first of three snow days Monday from the February freeze.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 45 of45
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Dan Wever

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2011

Judged:

Already Cut wrote:
You negative people are not educated on how districts have had to cut so much already. In 2006, districts got cut about 30% of their total funding from the state. Do you people even know that? A TRE is a way for districts to get back a PART of that. That's all it is. It isn't asking for more - it's asking for a piece back that was taken. Get educated!
You need to check your figures. You believe the spin the EPISD has been putting out. Why don't you check out the figures for yourself and quite being an EPISD stooge.
Look at the taxes the EPISD has received and add them up. As a matter of fact the EPISD made out very well when the State froze the ADA because the EPISD had a drop in enrollment every year since 05-06. This means that the EPISD was getting more money than they would have gotten if the ADA was recalculated every year. Where did the extra money go?

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx...

It is not negative to try and keep you people from drinking koolaid on a daily basis.
Easy as pie

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2011

The supt is paid more than a quarter million dollars for what? For going out to lunch with his followers and giving a "speech" once in a while in front of his many adoring lady friends? I want that job! Maybe he can donate one years salary to his district to show his good intentions? ya right. He wants another raise soon. And he'll get it too.
Westside Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2011

ignorant bliss wrote:
<quoted text>
You write that that teachers make 45 grand per year and that its "ridiculous"! How ignorant can you be? 45 grand is nothing! We pay more than 600 a month for health insurance, we DON'T work only 9 months, WE get blamed when your children act like monsters yet we have to get them to pass standardized tests that are only getting harder with no help from ignorant parents like you! How dare you sit at your computer and criticize the work of a teacher, educator, leader! Your comment about funding childrens' education from juarez is as ignorant and racist as can be! Time has passed where not all Mexicans have to work in the fields! Why don't u get out there and sweat a little and pick cotton maybe the sun will give u some type of revelation that education is necessary in order for our economy to flourish! May God forgive your ignorance and selfishness! Maybe you should sit in a bic unit and see that teaching isn't just fiddling your thumbs!
Teachers in El Paso earn starting salaries 50% more than any other UTEP grad where liberal art degrees start at about $30K per year, not for only 187 days of work per year like teachers. Even the top engineering firms hire UTEP grads at less than EPISD hires teachers for only 9 months of work. It is not as if there is a shortage of qualified teachers, EPISD has thousands of applications waiting years for teaching positions. So you pay $600 for your insurance, why should the taxpayers pay for more of your benefits than they receive at their places of employment. Teachers are among the top earners of the city, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, TRY TO GET A JOB ELSEWHERE THAT STARTS YOU OUT AT $43K PER YEAR.

Since: Jul 10

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2011

Westside Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachers in El Paso earn starting salaries 50% more than any other UTEP grad where liberal art degrees start at about $30K per year, not for only 187 days of work per year like teachers. Even the top engineering firms hire UTEP grads at less than EPISD hires teachers for only 9 months of work. It is not as if there is a shortage of qualified teachers, EPISD has thousands of applications waiting years for teaching positions. So you pay $600 for your insurance, why should the taxpayers pay for more of your benefits than they receive at their places of employment. Teachers are among the top earners of the city, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, TRY TO GET A JOB ELSEWHERE THAT STARTS YOU OUT AT $43K PER YEAR.
El Paso has some of lowest wages in the nation and to say teachers should not make competitive wages based on this fact. An example would be a simple job at the theater. Carmike for example pays LESS in El Paso than they do in other parts of the country. Why?. Our workforce is basically undereducated and abundant for these types of jobs. A student of mine just recently graduated from UTEP in engineering and found a job at White Sands paying far more than $43,000. I started out getting far more than that when I graduated from NMSU. Thousands of applications? Not in the fields that require some difficult certifications, maybe in general ed. I put feelers out last week and got several responses in 3 days that pays a lot more than I make now as a teacher. Nine months is also a myth, with the inservices and rule for recertification and continuing ed on your license. One year I only got a 3 week break in summer. A blanket statement does not work here.

Since: Jul 10

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2011

Westside Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Meant to clarify, I made far than $43,000 starting out in a job that was NOT a teacher when I graduated. I took a pay cut to become a teacher which I love.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 45 of45
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Canutillo Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Canutillo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••