Bonds, tax increases, board seats on ...

Bonds, tax increases, board seats on school ballots

There are 45 comments on the El Paso Times story from Mar 14, 2011, titled Bonds, tax increases, board seats on school ballots. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Escontrias Elementary School students made up the first of three snow days Monday from the February freeze.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
RiGhT

El Paso, TX

#1 Mar 15, 2011
El Paso ISD
The district has four board positions up for election.

District 6: Patricia Hughes (incumbent and board president), Ed Howell, Helene Solomon and Alfred Reeves.

If this is the same Helene Solomon that wrote a letter in the times about the TRE last year.... I hope she doesn't see the light of day on this board. She's just a bitter EX-employee who will make episd even more miserable than it already is!
Taxpayer

El Paso, TX

#2 Mar 15, 2011
Ecellent! This is time to vote the present nonfunctional, superintendent back kissing board out of its position.
Wake up El Pasoans! You can not afford to be robbed any further by the likes of these snake oil salesmen. I only regret you can only vote them out of office and not out of state.
RiGhT

El Paso, TX

#3 Mar 15, 2011
June 2010

Helene Solomon: Teacher to vote no on EPISD irresponsibility

Author: Helene Solomon Guest columnist
Date: June 12, 2010
Publication: El Paso Times (TX)

I am (WAS) a teacher, parent and a taxpayer in the El Paso Independent School District and I will be voting "no" in the upcoming Tax Ratification Election.

I cannot trust an incumbent school board and a superintendent that have shown irresponsible fiscal leadership for the past years to have another $37 million , even if it is "only" $10.83 per month per $100,000 of property value.

What kind of a moron would vote for her and her beliefs? She would try to help the board, she'd try to cripple it.
RiGhT

El Paso, TX

#4 Mar 15, 2011
Give me a Break

El Paso, TX

#5 Mar 15, 2011
If every citizen has to sacrifice by doing more with less, why is it that the school districts think that they can continue to ask the tax payers for more money? Could it be that they just don’t get it? Or are they just being arrogant and take the tax payers for granted? This is where GOOD Managers play a major role. After all, isn’t that the reason why they are getting paid the BIG BUCKS? The old days of continuing to sponge off the tax payers are long gone!
Pumpkin

El Paso, TX

#6 Mar 15, 2011
say NOOOOO to Helene Solomon. She never helped any teachers while she was employed with EPISD and would be useless for teachers and students on the board.
Concerned

El Paso, TX

#7 Mar 15, 2011
Socorro, Canutillo, El Paso and all other school districts, don't you all get it "NO". Do not spend your time and effort and money promoting more Bond, or Tax, or more money issues. I'm a reasonable person, and past educator, and do realize the need for expansion and the needs of the students, however your anarchy, overhead, and the lack to resolve overburden issues just leaves us with no other alternative, but H@#$ No!! It is time for all you genious administrators,School boards, think of consolidation, and give us the tax payers a break and still maintain the quality care and education that our students deserve. Overcrowding will be a problem and will be even a bigger nightmare once all of Ft. Bliss, and the transition of Juarez Mex. is in place. You all better start acting quick, but to save you time don't consider additional tax, bonds, or money issues as we will again vote "NO"
james russell

El Paso, TX

#8 Mar 15, 2011
I would prefer that all the candidates would come on line and explain their individual positions and reasonings behind some of their EPISD votes. The other candidates need to step forward and present themselves, their ideas for the district and their background in business or education. The present board members are looking to get thrashed by the voters this year.
Mad Frank

El Paso, TX

#9 Mar 15, 2011
Dear School Districts,

You might as well give up your crusade to get the taxpayer's of El Paso to pass more Tax increases through elections. Didn't you learn your lesson with EPISD and YISD? WE, the taxpayers are fed up and are going to vote down these latest attempts to steal our money. Until several issues have been addressed (i think you know what they are), we, the taxpayers will vote NO to any future tax increases put forth by any district. We, the people, hold the power now, not you. VOTE NO TO ANY TAX INCREASES BY THE SLEAZY DISTRICTS AND THE CROOKS THAT RUN THEM!
whatever

Austin, TX

#10 Mar 15, 2011
RiGhT wrote:
El Paso ISD
The district has four board positions up for election.
District 6: Patricia Hughes (incumbent and board president), Ed Howell, Helene Solomon and Alfred Reeves.
If this is the same Helene Solomon that wrote a letter in the times about the TRE last year.... I hope she doesn't see the light of day on this board. She's just a bitter EX-employee who will make episd even more miserable than it already is!
I think she's a Shapleigh gal
Butter Bean

El Paso, TX

#11 Mar 15, 2011
How many times do the Taxpayers have to tell Socorro ISD NO! We are Tapped Out. Have your Crooked Union Bosses pay for your Waste.
Kyle

El Paso, TX

#12 Mar 15, 2011
I don't get it, we spend more and more money and now they WANT even more money and the students scores and education worsens.

I guess their logic is to sepnd more money and make students even dummer.
Give me a break

El Paso, TX

#13 Mar 15, 2011
Helene Solomon? Seriously?
Concerned

El Paso, TX

#15 Mar 15, 2011
really001 wrote:
What do we think is valuable or for our future? It is what I heard this morning on the budget of U.S. government. We are trying to decrease spending on things that we would need in our future. We are destroying our foundations in infrastructure across the board and unwilling to make sacrifices that would improve our nation and in some cases save our lives or quality of living. We are setting ourselves up for failure and disaster. Now back to point locally. The school board does need a change of thought and direction on how the money is spent and what it is spent on. Do we really need Dr. Garcia to feel he can still do what he wants? The guy is immoral as they come. Who overlooks affairs with EPISD employees while he promotes them? These are ones we only know about. The direction of district is TAKS driven, the minimum for our students, but something we laude as improvement and pay with a top heavy administration. Education is important to our foundation and future. We will pay the price down the road with an under-educated population that will be unable to improve or sustain our society. Think about this as we vote and please do vote.
I totally agree, and the future does belong to our children, and we better prepare them for a good promising future for our Nation. However do not penalize our Children and great teachers over the stupidity, greed, and self imposed of our beloved administrators and School Board of Directors. Bottom line I will be at the polls, probably in early voting and guess what the answer is still "NO".
Parent

Flower Mound, TX

#16 Mar 15, 2011
And replace them with Helene Solomon. Yea right! Someone who lies. She calls herself a teacher. She was a consultant who lost her job. She is mad that she lost her consultant money. She lies so much and she is crazy.
NO NO NO

El Paso, TX

#17 Mar 15, 2011
They say it's about the children. It's not. It's about paying teachers and administrators more and more money. Quarter million dollar salaries is way too much to pay Superintendents during a recession, not to mention the exorbitant salaries paid by you, the taxpayers, to the "big-wigs" at Central Office. Teachers make 45 grand per year to start and work 9 months out of the year? Ridiculous. Until we trim the fat off the district spending, my answer will always be NO.
..BTW..Are we still funding the education for kids from Mexico? My answer to a higher tax rate election is still NO. NO NO NO. They are taking us for fools.
ignorant bliss

United States

#18 Mar 15, 2011
NO NO NO wrote:
They say it's about the children. It's not. It's about paying teachers and administrators more and more money. Quarter million dollar salaries is way too much to pay Superintendents during a recession, not to mention the exorbitant salaries paid by you, the taxpayers, to the "big-wigs" at Central Office. Teachers make 45 grand per year to start and work 9 months out of the year? Ridiculous. Until we trim the fat off the district spending, my answer will always be NO.
..BTW..Are we still funding the education for kids from Mexico? My answer to a higher tax rate election is still NO. NO NO NO. They are taking us for fools.
You write that that teachers make 45 grand per year and that its "ridiculous"! How ignorant can you be? 45 grand is nothing! We pay more than 600 a month for health insurance, we DON'T work only 9 months, WE get blamed when your children act like monsters yet we have to get them to pass standardized tests that are only getting harder with no help from ignorant parents like you! How dare you sit at your computer and criticize the work of a teacher, educator, leader! Your comment about funding childrens' education from juarez is as ignorant and racist as can be! Time has passed where not all Mexicans have to work in the fields! Why don't u get out there and sweat a little and pick cotton maybe the sun will give u some type of revelation that education is necessary in order for our economy to flourish! May God forgive your ignorance and selfishness! Maybe you should sit in a bic unit and see that teaching isn't just fiddling your thumbs!
NO NO NO

El Paso, TX

#19 Mar 15, 2011
There you go again, turning it into a racial issue. Look dummy, Us taxpayers are tired of funding all these programs for illegals, ok? They are taking advantage of the system by receiving free medical and education , while Americans get screwed. Administrator salaries are excessive, also.
Try to turn it around and make us look like the bad guys, it's not gonna work. We are going to defeat this tax increase 100% guaranteed because you all just waste money, throw it down the toilet, and then say "it was for the kid's". Ya right. I have people that feel the same way as i do, and we will be there to vote a resounding NO when the district's ask for more money from already broke taxpayers. Which part of NO do you dumb district employees not understand? Time to tighten your belt like everybody else.
Already Cut

Flower Mound, TX

#20 Mar 15, 2011
You negative people are not educated on how districts have had to cut so much already. In 2006, districts got cut about 30% of their total funding from the state. Do you people even know that? A TRE is a way for districts to get back a PART of that. That's all it is. It isn't asking for more - it's asking for a piece back that was taken. Get educated!
ignorant bliss

United States

#21 Mar 15, 2011
NO NO NO wrote:
There you go again, turning it into a racial issue. Look dummy, Us taxpayers are tired of funding all these programs for illegals, ok? They are taking advantage of the system by receiving free medical and education , while Americans get screwed. Administrator salaries are excessive, also.
Try to turn it around and make us look like the bad guys, it's not gonna work. We are going to defeat this tax increase 100% guaranteed because you all just waste money, throw it down the toilet, and then say "it was for the kid's". Ya right. I have people that feel the same way as i do, and we will be there to vote a resounding NO when the district's ask for more money from already broke taxpayers. Which part of NO do you dumb district employees not understand? Time to tighten your belt like everybody else.
I made a point numb nuts that u yourself brought up about kids from across the border. Not me, u made it racial, not me. I am NOT a dumb district employee you ignorant sorry excuse for an adult. You, nor I, nor anyone in their right mind wants to pay more taxes, but your comments are ignorant. Legislators are cutting funding in the millions and that is why districts are asking for more $. You think we don't know that central office employees use money how they shouldn't? Like I said, why don't you switch places with an educator and see that its harder than you think? Why? Cuz you are just like the rest of them who complain and just sit there and criticize but don't know what its really like. I am an educator, I pay taxes, I pay student loans, I pay for those kids that you think shouldn't get medical attention, I pay everything and probably more than what you do. You are an ignorant self centered sorry excuse for a person. You should value the educators who work 60-80 hours a week to educate all students, regardless of their background. Maybe you didn't receive an appropriate education or weren't valued for your talents. It's never too late to change your ways and be valued. I'll be happy to educate you ad value u so that you can feel special.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canutillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) May 14 Jack 993
News Five arrested in school cheating indictments in... May 1 Petro 2
News Stabbing suspect surrenders (Dec '05) Dec '15 Garry TURDeau 2
News Romero criticizes El Paso Times investigation (Nov '15) Nov '15 chicken little 5
News Woman charged with fraud in alleged Ariana Gran... (Oct '15) Oct '15 a fan 2
Governor's energy plan sets up New Mexico for n... (Sep '15) Sep '15 John Ford 1
News Former El Paso County sheriff's deputy indicted... (Aug '15) Aug '15 DC Dave 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Canutillo Mortgages