Descrimination against my 11 year old...

Descrimination against my 11 year old daughter with Cerebral Palsy in Canton, OH

Posted in the Canton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mommaof7

Canton, OH

#1 Oct 14, 2017
My family went to North Canton Skate today and my daughter was asked to leave the floor. We were told she was not aloud to skate in her wheelchair. They have no written policy concerning disabled children. Cheyenne has been skating several times at other skate businesses and also loves to ice skate. She was crying and broken hearted when she could not be included with the other children. I am insulted and disappointed that adults in Canton, Ohio behaved in such a manner, excluding a handicap child. One of the few things a child who can't walk can enjoy is when everyone has wheels. The manager told my family that it was her decision to not allow my daughter to skate and they have no written policy.
Lola

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Oct 14, 2017
Cheyenne can not do so many things. Skating is a great joy to her. This is completely unacceptable.
Melissa

Dallas, TX

#3 Oct 14, 2017
That's terrible! This is one way this little girl can participate with her family and friends and not feel so different. I'm so sorry Cheyenne!
Shawn

Mineral Wells, TX

#4 Oct 14, 2017
This is sad to to this to my niece I am heartbroken that she couldn't enjoy herself
Mrshafner

Lorain, OH

#5 Oct 14, 2017
I'm so sorry this happened it breaks my heart. These people are ignorant to keep her from what she enjoys and what makes her happy. Breaking her heart and making her cry is never acceptable a place for children should accept all children. Shame on them!!! I will never ever take my business there.
Prayers and hugs!
Sdevans927

Fort Worth, TX

#6 Oct 14, 2017
This is outrageous!!! For real!!? Y'all are going to to discriminate against the sweetest beautiful girl because she's in a wheelchair?? Are you kidding me?? I'm so mad right now.
Egulley

Canton, OH

#7 Oct 15, 2017
Total bullshit!!! I will never take my child there again!
poca_mom25159

Charleston, WV

#8 Oct 15, 2017
This young girl should be able to skate just like any other child just because she is in a wheelchair does NOT mean anything. She is a child just like all the other ones that are out there skating. If this was my child and I was her mom I am sorry but not sorry I would be suing the crap out of this place for descrimination against my child. I back this mom up 100%. Her child should not be left out. Also if there wasn’t no signs up against it she should be allowed to skate until there is signs put into place. I hope this child and this mom gets the justice the deserve
Jamie

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Oct 15, 2017
So sorry you and ur daughter were treated differently! Wish I would have been there because I would of pushed her around anyway and then if they Wanted to kick us out I would of made sure everyone there knew what was going on and made sure every parent and child knew how awful that the manager was treating her and 90% of parents drop there kids off that just shows what else do they do to everyone!! They will never see a dime from me again!! Once again I'm sorry you beautiful daughter had to go though this!!!
Alyssa

Seattle, WA

#10 Oct 15, 2017
I saw your video and they should have a written policy if this is their policy. I also saw your video of you saying that when the manager came out that the worker has said she did not know of what the manager had said that your daughter was as to skate. That is VERY possible that the front counter person did not know and was told something else. I have been told this and that at my job and when I do something, other co workers scream at me and say NO!!! We don't do that anymore or YES! We still do that. I'm like, Well, sure would be nice if someone tild me instead of making me look like I was discriminating agaisnt someone. I get your anger and frustration and you have EVERY RIGHT to be for many reasons, but before you cry discrimination, make sure it is. Also I am very confused on how you are saying the manager said one thing in the video but chatting with someone else saying the manager is lying. So what one is it??? Did the manager say that your daughter can be on the rink as long as someone is walking around with her or is the manager lying? And if so, what is she lying about??? VERY confused about your 2 different stories hear
Angela

Massillon, OH

#11 Oct 15, 2017
This place is a joke!!! I thought they was bad before this happen but not I'm completely disgusted!!!
Brandi prior

United States

#12 Oct 15, 2017
This seriously broke my heart.. I can only imagine how that little girl felt or the mother having to tell her that she couldn't do what the rest of kids were doing.. Shame on this place !!# not ok
Michelle

Westlake, OH

#13 Oct 15, 2017
Did you call first? I'm so confused. What was the reason they gave? Safety of the other kids? Liability?
Sha88

United States

#14 Oct 15, 2017
Ur daughter is adorable amazing And equal no policies I see a lawsuit and I hope u win prayers
Connie Martins

Maple, Canada

#15 Oct 16, 2017
totally unacceptable!!!
Bwell29

Erie, PA

#16 Oct 16, 2017
I hippie this family sues. This is against ADA. My family will never go to this rink again. I'm ashamed of them. I will be spreading the word to all local canton schools to not have field trips or parties here and to inform the parents to not plan weekends here.
Jessica

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Oct 16, 2017
This is just not fair at all to the little girl who just wants to feel like a normal kid... I think we should stand outside their business with picket signs telling people to not spend their money there.... It would not have hurt to let her wheel her chair around...
DLBaby

Cleveland, OH

#18 Oct 16, 2017
Did you call the facility first to be sure they could accommodate? Did they she could not skate because she was in a wheelchair or were there other reasons? But showing her crying on social media is not going to fix the situation if it is discrimination.
bigtexsyankeegir l

Canton, OH

#19 Oct 16, 2017
Here's what I'm gonna say in response to this, This mother seriously needs to stop using her child's disability to try to become famous. For the safety of the child, the man who was in skates and pushing the child on the skating floor was asked if they could exit the floor long enough for the staff to check policy. The policy is that the accompanying adult had to not be in skates for the safety of the child. FOR THE SAFETY OF THE CHILD. All that they did was ask for 15 mins to check policy, which the mother made a big deal about and started all kinds of drama that has led to allegations. The thing is, if this was in fact truth, then the management of the skating rink wouldn't have invested money to make the entire area handicap friendly. This mother's hashtag for the Today Show is a desperate attempt to be famous at her child's expense. The child was on the skate floor and could have returned to the skate floor with any adult that wasn't in skates, for her own safety.
bigtexsyankeegir l

Canton, OH

#20 Oct 16, 2017
Why don't you stop lying and post the rest of the videos where they told you that it was policy for the safety of your child to be on the floor with someone not in skates for her safety? Or did you delete those videos that contained conversations with management. Since after all you're all about hastag Today show to try to be famous off of your daughter's disabilities. I feel bad for your child that a mother would stoop as low. Shame on you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kylie Morse Nov 2 Whittier7169 2
Anyone know Apria J? Nov 2 Whittier7169 2
Shawnee Valley Shih tzu's (Jun '09) Oct '18 Blah 17
News Thirteen workers arrested in Fresh Mark immigra... Sep '18 Hillyereefartjob 11
Keith E Carrington Aug '18 Worried Aunt 1
News Mayor Dan Horrigan, Akron officials to rappel 2... Aug '18 Capt Pepe 2
Richard King pervert Aug '18 her daddy 3

Canton Jobs

Personal Finance

Canton Mortgages