Kellison Released From Custody

Kellison Released From Custody

There are 32 comments on the Ogdensburg Courier-Observer/Journal story from Mar 9, 2011, titled Kellison Released From Custody. In it, Ogdensburg Courier-Observer/Journal reports that:

A Massena man charged with breaking into a locked office at the Valhaven Home for Adults and stealing a money box reportedly containing $450 - a crime he blamed on his addiction to prescription pills - has been released from custody after spending approximately 24 hours at the St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ogdensburg Courier-Observer/Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 09

Syracuse, NY

#1 Mar 9, 2011
Here is a PRIME EXAMPLE just what a back woods hick society we live in, not to mention the PISS POOR judicial system we have. Perhaps the judges did not read the newspaper article as to WHY this young man got in trouble. Why would this kid need drug evaluation when he and his mother both said he tried to get into detox and the kid admitted to buying oxycontin after he stole the money??? WTF is wrong with people?? There is not enough help for prescription drug addiction in the north country PERIOD. The DA and the judges turn a blind eye to the EPIDEMIC of pill abuse. If this kid re offends while on probation, who will be to blame? The judicial process needs to get their heads out of their asses and see this problem is a LOT bigger than they lead on. The judge, DA, and Public Defender along with Probation should all be ashamed to let this young man who is CLEARLY crying for help back out on the streets. Bet your ass the kid went to see his dealer.. Mark my words.
so true

United States

#2 Mar 9, 2011
Most likly he did
gamer

Ithaca, NY

#3 Mar 9, 2011
Dear Mr. Draws, I don't know who you are but you hit the nail right on the head with this thread. I know Derek has been trying to seek help but the system is failing him.(The famous excuse..."there aren't any beds") It's not only breaking him down, it's tearing his family apart too. I am glad to see that there are people on this site that recognize the holes in this counties system. Franklin county would have handled this a lot differently.

Syracuse, NY

#4 Mar 10, 2011
gamer I don't know you either but I plan on doing something about it. It's been ignored for too long. and I hope Derek can get treatment. it's a tough one to beat. Being turned down for treatment is disheartening. Another thing is, if the judges go by Probation recommendations then why do we need judges?
yo yo ma

Copenhagen, NY

#5 Mar 10, 2011
Droopy Draws wrote:
Here is a PRIME EXAMPLE just what a back woods hick society we live in, not to mention the PISS POOR judicial system we have. Perhaps the judges did not read the newspaper article as to WHY this young man got in trouble. Why would this kid need drug evaluation when he and his mother both said he tried to get into detox and the kid admitted to buying oxycontin after he stole the money??? WTF is wrong with people?? There is not enough help for prescription drug addiction in the north country PERIOD. The DA and the judges turn a blind eye to the EPIDEMIC of pill abuse. If this kid re offends while on probation, who will be to blame? The judicial process needs to get their heads out of their asses and see this problem is a LOT bigger than they lead on. The judge, DA, and Public Defender along with Probation should all be ashamed to let this young man who is CLEARLY crying for help back out on the streets. Bet your ass the kid went to see his dealer.. Mark my words.
forget all that crap. His addiction is a problem of his own making. I am not addicted to pills and I can nema dozens of others who use perscription pills as specified without issue. i think the real problem with society is that we coddle the addicts when they should be purged from society as defective parts should be.
J-Co

Ithaca, NY

#6 Mar 10, 2011
Hey Droopy I'm with you, I hope Derek gets the help he needs. However, make no mistake about it, the county knows exactly what they are doing. If this kid gets the help he needs, he probably wont become a repeat offender, and then they wont be able to keep him on the system , and keep their numbers up! They would rather throw him on probation and wait for him to screw up again. If they are lucky the kid will get rearrested at least a couple of times before the end of the year.Each time he's arrested he is counted as a new inmate. This would raise the yearly head count at our fine 34 million dolor[yup that's right , your tax dolor's] county jail and wouldn't that make them look good!

Syracuse, NY

#7 Mar 10, 2011
yo yo ma wrote:
<quoted text> forget all that crap. His addiction is a problem of his own making. I am not addicted to pills and I can nema dozens of others who use perscription pills as specified without issue. i think the real problem with society is that we coddle the addicts when they should be purged from society as defective parts should be.
If you don't know then perhaps you should keep quiet. It's not all prescription pills, Specifically, opiates. They are fine until you stop taking them. Ask one of them what happens if they run out a day or 2 early. They get "dope sick" and it's no fun. It's hell as a matter of fact. Ask any addict and anyone who takes opiates for more than 30 days is addicted. You coddle a lot of them by paying for their welfare. Think about that.
sad

Ithaca, NY

#8 Mar 10, 2011
Massena man waiting for detox steals C-PH employee's wallet, flees, caught, police say
Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 11:38 am

POTSDAM – A Massena man has been charged with felony theft after he allegedly stole a hospital employee’s wallet as he waited to be admitted to the detoxification unit.

Derek J. Kellison, 19, was charged Wednesday with fourth-degree grand larceny by Potsdam police.

Police say the investigation began with a complaint from the Canton-Potsdam Hospital employee. They determined that Kellison took the wallet from the employee's purse as he was waiting to be admitted to the hospital's detoxification unit, and left the hospital with it.

The wallet contained a small amount of cash, a credit card, insurance card and identification. Police said they recovered some items from Kellison in Massena, including the credit card and ID.

Kellison is to appear in Potsdam Village Court March 16.

Syracuse, NY

#9 Mar 10, 2011
It is sad indeed. But the problem still exists.
massena guy

Ithaca, NY

#10 Mar 10, 2011
how long before he does it again?
a friend

Ithaca, NY

#11 Mar 10, 2011
Derek is not a bad person, he is just a sick person in need of help. Everbody deserves a chance, we all make mistakes, he comes from a decent family. His mother is an extremely kind woman who cares deeply for her son and would love nothing more than to see him get the help he needs. I too have been right where Derek is at right now in his life and its not fun. We dont wake up and say...gee I wanna become a drug addict. Unfortunately though things happen that are sometimes out of our control. People get addicted to their pain medicine and such. Not everyone that is addicted to drugs enjoys that way of life. It is a very painful and lonely way to live. Some people are strong enough and have enough support in their lives to overcome or shall I say begin to deal with and recover from that seemingling hopeless state of mind. We all need to quit bashing him and pray he makes it through this alive because so many of us dont! Good luck Derek, dont let those who dont understand addiction get ya down buddy!
wickwire

United States

#12 Mar 10, 2011
yea i have also been there. He has stold money from me. I kno exactly where he is at. I hope he does chill out and get the help he needs. I am currently clean at the time. I've been back and forth for years with recovery to active addiction. Even tho i wanted to pound the little fucker when i see him agian, but i'm clean now, so i don't. haha funny how that works!
WakeupNNY

Ithaca, NY

#13 Mar 12, 2011
This is BS! When are we going to stop excusing criminal behavior? Derek has bragged about using oxy's on a public forum. He has had ample opportunity in the past to rescue himself from the path that he was travelling down. Instead he was more interested in the party and hanging around the creme-de-la creme of Massena society. Maybe instead of excusing his criminal behavior he should be held accountable for his actions. I , for one, am all for accountability.
Loser

Ithaca, NY

#14 Mar 12, 2011
He was given the opportunity to go in-patient and he refused it!!!!!! His choice!!!! Stop making excuses for him.
dont know

Ithaca, NY

#15 Mar 12, 2011
All I know is that he was involved with the crook that got murdered on the res.I remember he had said something about finding a home for all the guys koi.How did he get involved with those kinds of people?He use to be a polite enthusiastic kid with a future.What the hell happened?
Hah

Ogden, UT

#16 Mar 12, 2011
Everyone is blaming his addiction, he was BEING addmitted and still stole money and left to get his fix. obv he doesn't want to get help to bad. help only comes to those who want it.

Syracuse, NY

#17 Mar 12, 2011
WakeupNNY wrote:
This is BS! When are we going to stop excusing criminal behavior? Derek has bragged about using oxy's on a public forum. He has had ample opportunity in the past to rescue himself from the path that he was travelling down. Instead he was more interested in the party and hanging around the creme-de-la creme of Massena society. Maybe instead of excusing his criminal behavior he should be held accountable for his actions. I , for one, am all for accountability.
I agree with you 100% on this. He obviously doesn't want help and is on a self destruction trip. He will crash soon enough and being dope sick in jail won't be fun. This is only one case though and the fact still remains there is not enough treatment for addicts in St. Law County.
been there

Ithaca, NY

#18 Mar 12, 2011
Loser wrote:
He was given the opportunity to go in-patient and he refused it!!!!!! His choice!!!! Stop making excuses for him.
All I can say is this..have you ever been in the throws of active addiction? You will do ANYTHING to get our next high!! No, this doesnt make any sense, but until your being COMPLETELY controlled by a substance then you have no idea why he did what he did. Im not condoning his actions, just telling you that when you are being controlled by something in every way, like a drug or a drink...you will do ANYTHING to get your next fix. Wether it makes sense to society or not...its not a pretty disease or is it easy to understand. If that were the case then many of the mothers addicted to drugs would never chose drugs over feeding their children..or sell their bodies to get thier next fix. Nothing pretty about addiction! Good luck Derek!
jim

Manlius, NY

#20 Mar 18, 2011
Addiction is a disease, a mental disorder...prison is not the answer for such a serious disorder...we need to revamp our justice system and focus on treatment..as the europeans have done. Their drug use is down....is ours?..No..worse than ever. Just look at the border wars between the cartels in Mexico, we have an insatiable appetite for drugs, the largest in the world. As the failure of the drug war proves, a law enforcement stance will never work...its a shame to see a young person with a serious problem not get help, end up with a lifelong felony record and an inevitable burden on society.
WakeupNNY

Ithaca, NY

#21 Mar 18, 2011
jim wrote:
Addiction is a disease, a mental disorder...prison is not the answer for such a serious disorder...we need to revamp our justice system and focus on treatment..as the europeans have done. Their drug use is down....is ours?..No..worse than ever. Just look at the border wars between the cartels in Mexico, we have an insatiable appetite for drugs, the largest in the world. As the failure of the drug war proves, a law enforcement stance will never work...its a shame to see a young person with a serious problem not get help, end up with a lifelong felony record and an inevitable burden on society.
How many opportunities should addicts be given before they should be held accountable? How many crimes should they be allowed to commint under the umbrella of addiction?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
which bars do hot girls go to? (Mar '12) Jun 27 skeeter 29
Help with Lincoln Provenance Jun 25 searching 2
helping hands hannawa Jun 24 jedds 1
cowards at 1/2 tons Jun 23 jedds 2
News Parishville man pleads guilty to sex abuse of boy Jun 22 Forrest 1
Marie and Wes Conklin Matthie (Jun '15) Jun 22 searching 19
punks at 1/2 Tons Jun 22 Too funny 14

Canton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance