Man charged with murder in trooper sh...

Man charged with murder in trooper shooting

There are 214 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jun 18, 2008, titled Man charged with murder in trooper shooting. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Comments on Topix forums : Waynesville A Florida man faces first-degree murder charges this morning in the shooting death on Tuesday night of an N.C. State Highway Patrol trooper on Interstate 40.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
crazy

Savannah, GA

#209 Jun 23, 2008
Justin White wrote:
Is this another ILLEGAL who is here ?
don't you seed his face morron
Concerned

Lincolnton, NC

#210 Jun 23, 2008
NATIVE Mountain Educator wrote:
He should not have been out of jail. Why was he here in WNC? I believe he was probably delivering or picking up drugs. I read that Trooper Blanton and his wife have a newborn daughter. Does anyone know how old this poor little baby is? I believe she needs a scholarship fund started.
It's a newborn son named Brendan Tye who was born 7 weeks early. He is in the NICU at Mission!! Michaela & Baby Tye needs EVERYONE'S prayers!!
Disabled American

Pelzer, SC

#211 Jun 23, 2008
Free wrote:
<quoted text>
My ideas of keeping violent criminals in jail and cop murderers receiving the DP are outside the law..? DA
Sleep well at night knowing I'm a part of the jury pool in NC. That means I come with emotions, I get angry at needless death and devastation in my community of those who are on the line for my benefit. There are so many like me here it must drive you insane...People who feel things rather than just observe and analyze them...who's reactions are not some dried response from book learned proper legal behavior devoid of human emotions.
How it must hurt your ego to have to stand your brilliant self in front of 12 ignorant and possibly Christians such as my self and try to make us understand the only right and legal verdicts in order for you to save this Country and our Constitution from collapsing. Wow! all that talent and you're stuck here in Asheville....go figure.
Well said Free.......well said.
Disabled American

Pelzer, SC

#212 Jun 23, 2008
half-back wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. He was also shot in the wrist area, or the bullet graised his wrist. If his gun was taken from his holster by wong and wong had it in his right hand, then the officer would go to grab his gun back. The result could be the graising of the troopers wrist when wong pulled the trigger. The trooper would be facing wong at a slight angle and not face-on so the next likely shot from wong after the trooper let go of the gun would have been the fatal shot to the side of the trooper that was facing wong. The bullet could have went into the troopers body where the vest had an open area that allows free movement of the arm ( slightly under the armpit area would be my guess where the bullet entered ).
This is just my guestimation, and not based on any known facts or evidence.
I think it was written in the paper that the bullet did go in right at the armpit like you said. I also
spoke to a neighbor wh is a SC Trooper, and he said that was where he was shot as well. The SCHP lost a
trooper several months ago, when a trooper was also shot in the same place and died. The bullet went in
where the vest does allow the movement of the arm,
and then traveled into the body after striking a bone. He bled to death. Trooper Blanton was also
not shot with his service revolver. The NCHP's Commander reported this. Trooper Blanton may have
been shot the minute he got out of his car. We will
not know until all the FACTS come out at the trial.
God Bless Trooper Blanton and his family, as well as,
all of the other Law Enforcement Officers that put
their lives on the line every day of their lives.
The are and will remain in my prayers. Thank you, Shawn for the ultimate sacrifice, and thanks to each
of the other LEO's for caring enough to go out there
and do what they do. I spent 14 years in EMS, and have seen first hand what they have to deal with on
a daily basis. May God protect them as they go about
doing what they do (for low wages and benefits).
They deserve much, much more.

Since: May 07

Asheville, NC

#213 Jun 23, 2008
BuncCyBapt wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd really be squalling if you knew the cost to taxpayers like yourself of keeping him in prison. Because Florida has so many locked up, it's almost bankrupt. And NC's not far behind.
Convicted felons here in NC, say for example convicted burglars, don't do more than a few months before they are out again, and hungry for their next heist job.
You can see why this Wong character resisted arrest. He was a convicted felon with a handgun, and that would have gotten him a fat prison sentence here in NC, besides charges for any other contraband like drugs or stolen property. If only the trooper had known that he had stopped a desperado. Too bad Trooper Blanton didn't shoot Wong first, in self-defense. That's got to have been a freak shot to have bypassed Trooper Blanton's bulletproof vest.

Yes, there is a price to lock up this guy, but what is the alternative? Allow him to walk with the rest of us who abide by the law only to kill us at his whim? Personally, I'd rather pay double the taxes to ensure that these people actually PAY for their convicted crimes.

What if Blanton HAD shot him first? How many people on here would have been crying for Blanton's arrest for the premature shot? Chances are, he pulled the guy, walked to the vehicle and was shot. He couldnt have known who was driving the car. He certainly couldnt have known what Wong had inside the vehicle.

Like I've said before, Wong had zero regard for Shawn Blanton. Blanton was doing his job. My (and everyone's) safety was on the line and Shawn paid for that with his life.
Keith retired Gun-bunny

United States

#214 Jun 23, 2008
WNCNATIVE wrote:
<quoted text> What he meant, Keith, is that as a Christian we are supposed to strive to be more Christ-like. Christ would forgive as His Father forgave us....so we should forgive Wong. Like he said, maybe in time...
Forgive him and then pop a cap in his azz.
Randy Green

Anchorage, AK

#215 Jun 23, 2008
half-back

Greenville, NC

#216 Jun 24, 2008
Personally, I do NOT want to pay double the taxes to keep this roach in prison for life. I say let him go free on a technicality. Kangaroo court will be in session. He won't be breathing by sundown. Otherwise, make this an example case and show that justice can be swift...get him on death row tomorrow...if we are lucky he might die by the needle before he dies of old age.
peace
BuncCyBapt

Asheville, NC

#217 Jun 24, 2008
WNCNATIVE wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there is a price to lock up this guy, but what is the alternative? Allow him to walk with the rest of us who abide by the law only to kill us at his whim? Personally, I'd rather pay double the taxes to ensure that these people actually PAY for their convicted crimes.
What if Blanton HAD shot him first? How many people on here would have been crying for Blanton's arrest for the premature shot? Chances are, he pulled the guy, walked to the vehicle and was shot. He couldnt have known who was driving the car. He certainly couldnt have known what Wong had inside the vehicle.
Like I've said before, Wong had zero regard for Shawn Blanton. Blanton was doing his job. My (and everyone's) safety was on the line and Shawn paid for that with his life.
Well-spoken, thoughtful points. And yes, justice is costly. The point I have been trying to make through all the heckling and ad hominem attacks (not from you, of course) is that the release of 911 tapes will have utterly no effect on the jury verdict in whatever county where it's rendered, which I can guarantee you 100% will be the death penalty if the DA asks for it. I bet he does. And the only other alternative would be life without parole. Guaranteed 100%. There's no way this man will ever walk again, never.

There, I said it and I shouldn't have but there are too many paranoid Chicken Little's in these threads worried whether justice will be served.

This may not be the best state of facts where the 911 tapes should be released, but imho they should *always* be released when requested by the media.

If Blanton had shot Wong, as soon as Wong's lengthy record became public, no one would have complained.

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/article.p...
What

Lincolnton, NC

#218 Jun 24, 2008
BuncCyBapt wrote:
Chilling, domestic, and tragically imperfect story there. A whole other can of worms. I add this link and ask all who will read it, to pay particular note to the second to last paragraph:

and suggest this one:

http://www.memphispolice.org/Crisis%20Interve...

If I am to believe what I read at the last link, the changes have been a reasonably effective relief for both citizens and law enforcement.
What

Lincolnton, NC

#219 Jun 24, 2008
BuncCyBapt wrote:
<quoted text>
This may not be the best state of facts where the 911 tapes should be released, but imho they should *always* be released when requested by the media.
Apparently the judge agreed with you.

http://www.topix.com/forum/source/asheville-c...

Since: May 07

Asheville, NC

#220 Jun 24, 2008
BuncCyBapt wrote:
<quoted text>
Well-spoken, thoughtful points. And yes, justice is costly. The point I have been trying to make through all the heckling and ad hominem attacks (not from you, of course) is that the release of 911 tapes will have utterly no effect on the jury verdict in whatever county where it's rendered, which I can guarantee you 100% will be the death penalty if the DA asks for it. I bet he does. And the only other alternative would be life without parole. Guaranteed 100%. There's no way this man will ever walk again, never.
There, I said it and I shouldn't have but there are too many paranoid Chicken Little's in these threads worried whether justice will be served.
If Blanton had shot Wong, as soon as Wong's lengthy record became public, no one would have complained.
Thank you for recognizing my skills. ;)
Concerned Citizen

United States

#221 Jun 25, 2008
BuncCyBapt wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd really be squalling if you knew the cost to taxpayers like yourself of keeping him in prison. Because Florida has so many locked up, it's almost bankrupt. And NC's not far behind.
Convicted felons here in NC, say for example convicted burglars, don't do more than a few months before they are out again, and hungry for their next heist job.
You can see why this Wong character resisted arrest. He was a convicted felon with a handgun, and that would have gotten him a fat prison sentence here in NC, besides charges for any other contraband like drugs or stolen property. If only the trooper had known that he had stopped a desperado. Too bad Trooper Blanton didn't shoot Wong first, in self-defense. That's got to have been a freak shot to have bypassed Trooper Blanton's bulletproof vest.
LIKE I said our system needs a total revamping. starting from the top to the bottom. theres just as many crooks in law,washington,etc, no ones immune and the laws need to be re-written to be understood by every one , not just those who go to school to learn the lingo. also none of this well you can do this legally but theres this law over here that says different. its all about money for the most part anyways . freedom isnt free and neither is justice.
meagain

Cullowhee, NC

#222 Sep 17, 2010
i think they should put him in a jail in thiland and let him live his wasted life there much better than dieing quickly in my thoughts

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brown Numbered signs on I-40 (Apr '08) Apr 4 Ranajo23 40
Dustin Hines Apr 3 SoCo73 1
ex-hcc girl Mar 25 Sinners 5
Josh Campbell (Mar '17) Mar 23 Gentle On My Mind 2
west side cafe. Mar '18 wanderer 1
issues with Appalachian Automotive (Dec '10) Feb '18 Ed Burris 20
p.o.s with stds and on drugs. (Mar '14) Jan '18 Maggie 5

Canton Jobs

Personal Finance

Canton Mortgages