Deputies' blows didn't cause death of Clyde man

Jon Ostendorff * JOstendorff@CITIZEN-TIMES.com * published July 8, 2008 12:15 am Comments on Topix forums : CLYDE Deputies hit a handcuffed man four times after he continued to fight with officers, authorities ... Full Story
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Keith retired Gun-bunny

United States

#1 Jul 7, 2008
Sounds as if this here feller was on a slow train on the way to the graveyard and finally reached that destination.

“Be No Tarheelborn”

Since: Feb 07

Albermarle

#2 Jul 7, 2008
Fast train it looks like to me
Keith retired Gun-bunny

United States

#3 Jul 7, 2008
Transplanted wrote:
Fast train it looks like to me
I guess it is up to the way you look at it. 31 dealings since 2004.
UpClose

Canton, NC

#4 Jul 7, 2008
We all live in Glass Houses....Lets wait and see!
Keith retired Gun-bunny

United States

#5 Jul 7, 2008
UpClose wrote:
We all live in Glass Houses....Lets wait and see!
Uh.........wait and see what? The poor guy kicked the bucket.
Kelly

United States

#6 Jul 8, 2008
Where are you WLOS? Way to stay on top of a story! You guys suck!

Since: Oct 07

Asheville, NC

#7 Jul 8, 2008
Well, well, well...
LOKEL

Weaverville, NC

#8 Jul 8, 2008
Whatever happened to Police brutality .... beating a handcuffed individual!

Cullowhee

#9 Jul 8, 2008
LOKEL wrote:
Not really taking sides here but what would you have done? Have you ever had to deal with anyone on meth? A relative works for EMS and has had the hell beat out of her twice by people who later tested positive for meth. She was there trying to help and they were trying to kill her. Another relative on meth jumped out of my car while I was trying to take him home. Meth is by far the worst drug I have encountered and until you know and deal with someone under the influence of it - you have no idea what they are capable of, handcuffed or not.
Mercedes

Swannanoa, NC

#10 Jul 8, 2008
LOKEL wrote:
I suppose you would have let a meth addict just bite you and kick you in the groin if you were trying to restrain him. Have you seen the way meth addicts behave? How should they have controlled him without actually hurting him if he was not cooperating and fighting the cops?
waitoneminute

United States

#11 Jul 8, 2008
ON DOPE!!!! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!

I still think we should blame the police, 911 caller, nurses, doctors, various citizens and the kitchen sink!!!

Anyone but the victim who started all the
problem(s)in the first place.

Next problem/screw-up please.

“RadicalDudette”

Location hidden

#12 Jul 8, 2008
MsLyn wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really taking sides here but what would you have done? Have you ever had to deal with anyone on meth? A relative works for EMS and has had the hell beat out of her twice by people who later tested positive for meth. She was there trying to help and they were trying to kill her. Another relative on meth jumped out of my car while I was trying to take him home. Meth is by far the worst drug I have encountered and until you know and deal with someone under the influence of it - you have no idea what they are capable of, handcuffed or not.
The ER in Transylvania had a guy that was on PCP
weighed about 145 lbs and it took everyone avaible
to strap him to a gurney just to examine him.
He was on other stuff, but PCP (way before meth
was so readily available) was the main culprit.
His bite was as bad as his bark.

“RadicalDudette”

Location hidden

#13 Jul 8, 2008
Kelly wrote:
Where are you WLOS? Way to stay on top of a story! You guys suck!
And which guys are you referring to, may I ask.
Let's be specific!!

Since: May 07

Spartanburg, SC

#14 Jul 8, 2008
MsLyn wrote:
<quoted text>
Meth is horrible. It not only destroys the users, but their families as well. It is one of the most addictive drugs out there. Dealers need to be put away for a long time.
momof2

United States

#15 Jul 8, 2008
Think everyone may be surprised at toxicology report....you don't see God om meth...but you do on acid. Whatever happened to talking someone on a bad trip down?
no body

Lincolnton, NC

#16 Jul 8, 2008
What you read in the paper is not always true. People are trying to make him look like the worse person in the world. I am sure all this is hurting the family more than people know. and people just need to stop and wait what really happens. On top of all that I think its so funny how this paper keeps changing stories...
gina p

AOL

#17 Jul 8, 2008
musta been city meth ,granny's old fashioned home cooked meth wouldn't get you seeing the devil.

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Location hidden

#18 Jul 8, 2008
""...Detective Matt Shell and Deputy Sgt. Chris Shell, who are brothers, had responded to a call just before 10 p.m. about a civil disturbance at a home on Sovereign Circle in Clyde, according to the incident report.

Patterson stood up and started talking about Jesus and burning in hell after Deputy Shell found him lying on the ground, according to the incident report.

He complied with an order to lie on his stomach and was handcuffed before fleeing, hitting a chicken-wire fence and rolling “head over heels” down a hill, according to the report..."""

So Patterson was lying on the ground, stood up talking about Jesus and the cops make him lie back down to be handcuffed.
Was the unfortunate fellow at his own home? If so, then he can lay around and talk about Jesus all he wants to...no crime in that.

There are alot of unanswered questions in this article and it seems alot of backtracking. Reckon we will just have to wait and see.
truth seeker

Lincolnton, NC

#19 Jul 8, 2008
Next steps should be dictated by the facts following the investigation. THE facts people. This story is being fed and fueled by sources that DO NOT let the story be seen in the true light. Ask yourself: why the continuous one way feed from the sheriff's office, and why are there continuous changes and inconsistencies in the media feed? Why is the story not simply in the obituaries? They are making a bed utilizing the news as a one way information transfer. There is a storm brewing and it will be the truth that rains in the end and there are no nails that will keep the shutters tight. Have faith. Pray for Ben's family.
momof2

United States

#20 Jul 8, 2008
Where did all this meth stuff come from anyway. Anyone who knew Ben knew he was a throwback to the 60's, liked to drink, smoke a little pot and do the occasional psychedelic. In my day he would have been a flower child, albeit a mischeivious one. No one who knew him ever said anything about a predisposition to meth, crack or anything that stupid. Guess if you mention meth it draws attention away from other issues...sure has, hasn't it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
28 m young looking 4 younger lad £ reward £ 22 hr Letzhavefun28 1
Buncombe County schools open tomorrow | NEWS | ... (Feb '08) Feb 24 ApePeeD 9
Select Homes Property Management Company (Jul '14) Feb 19 kurtcooksalot16 4
Anybody know Teresa White? Feb 16 Just askin 1
$1,000 reward offered for Siberian husky stolen... Feb 14 ApePeeD 1
df118 oxycodene (Dec '10) Feb 9 dhc 2
trying to find Jewell Kauffman King Feb 6 drdad 1
Canton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web