Paper mill plans temporary layoffs

Paper mill plans temporary layoffs

There are 26 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jan 13, 2009, titled Paper mill plans temporary layoffs. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Jon Ostendorff * [email protected] * published January 14, 2009 12:15 am CANTON One of Western North Carolina's largest manufacturing plants will lay off workers for a week starting Monday, labor ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
cantonnative

Lincolnton, NC

#21 Jan 15, 2009
to "redneck hater"---you sound as if you have a really big mental problem. why not move away if you hate this area so bad? people do not need to hear comments from someone like you in this day of economic gloom;
red neck hater

Hendersonville, NC

#22 Jan 15, 2009
Hi folks, to let you know, I am a mental case, and I need help. Do any of you know who I can turn to, besides my shrink? I spew words of hate at everyone in this area. Maybe I should just take my azz back to where I came from.
Cindy

Canton, NC

#23 Jan 15, 2009
red neck hater wrote:
Hi folks, to let you know, I am a mental case, and I need help. Do any of you know who I can turn to, besides my shrink? I spew words of hate at everyone in this area. Maybe I should just take my azz back to where I came from.
Its Ok to hate. We live in a society where it is frowned upon to have negative feelings about anything.If you disagree with someone, you are looked at as being ignorant, no one thinks maybe the other person is being overly sensitive. Its ok to hate. I hate overly sensitive people and bums.
Mountain Mama

Canton, NC

#24 Jan 16, 2009
The Joe wrote:
<quoted text>If the town has any hope to keep that mill open and the population employed they'll waive the taxes and sewer treatment costs immediately. It'll start as "temporary" layoffs but this thing is going to escalate into a full-scale closure of the facility in 2010. There is too much capacity in the market right now and that Canton mill isn't competitive. It was a money loser when Evergreen bought it and it will be a money loser when they close it.
I am employed at the mill, and I do have the next week off , much to my displeasure. Let me make one thing clear about your statment. We were profitable while we owned the mill, only mangement didn't show it so as not to pay us profit sharing. The CEO and all his buddies were being paid bonuses out the butt, and singing the we are broke song the whole time.(In fact, after the floods, while we were cleaning up and busting our butts to get back to making paper, our CEO was buying himself a yacht!) We were too small of a company to have survived all those years running in the red. Two sets of books helped that look good. Our contract comes up in May, and I'm sure this will be used against us. And yes, we are very competive in the market.
JULIAN

Buffalo, NY

#25 Mar 3, 2009
I REALY DONT CARE ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!
Tap Out

Kernersville, NC

#26 Mar 3, 2009
JULIAN wrote:
I REALY DONT CARE ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!
Go hang out in the fruitbelt or in Lovejoy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ex-hcc girl 20 hr Yeahyeahwho 1
p.o.s with stds and on drugs. (Mar '14) 20 hr Yeahyeahwho 3
Friendly appliance RIP OFF Dec 1 Wake Up 1
Nathan dyer Nov '17 THS class of 2012 1
News 6-year-old drowns in indoor hotel pool in North... Sep '17 evie 1
News Federal gambling investigation targets more off... (Jan '08) Sep '17 Caerleon 179
News NC All-American wrestler charged with statutory... Aug '17 LEE LEE PRICE 1

Canton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Canton Mortgages