Paper mill plans temporary layoffs

Paper mill plans temporary layoffs

There are 26 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jan 13, 2009, titled Paper mill plans temporary layoffs. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Jon Ostendorff * JOstendorff@CITIZEN-TIMES.com * published January 14, 2009 12:15 am CANTON One of Western North Carolina's largest manufacturing plants will lay off workers for a week starting Monday, labor ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
flatlander

Columbia, SC

#1 Jan 14, 2009
This will be the first wave of what's to come.
hikerusa

Mills River, NC

#2 Jan 14, 2009
Soon WNC will be a ghost region void of mfg jobs and hello to the play ground of the rich and famous vacation region. Tourism, healthcare, grocery and of course attorneys will thrive! So long, farewell to the working folks and hello to the bulldozers and loggers. Want fries with that?
medic1

Waynesville, NC

#3 Jan 14, 2009
this isn't going to be good...
Mountain Gal

Simpsonville, SC

#4 Jan 14, 2009
Well if the middle class can't afford to stay here, who will cater to the the silver spoon rich? Who will clean their houses, mow their grass, paint their walls and haul their sorry asses out of the ditches? Methinks it's going to get very interesting.
local

Sherrills Ford, NC

#5 Jan 14, 2009
Mountain Gal wrote:
Well if the middle class can't afford to stay here, who will cater to the the silver spoon rich? Who will clean their houses, mow their grass, paint their walls and haul their sorry asses out of the ditches? Methinks it's going to get very interesting.
The answer to your questions: The immigrant underclass.
flatlander

Columbia, SC

#6 Jan 14, 2009
Mayor Pat Smathers said he heard about the planned layoffs at the paper mill on Monday but has not yet been able to reach an official at Evergreen.

The town relies on the mill for not only tax revenue but also sewer treatments service.

Why contact them, Oh! I forgot you gotta stay in the light.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#7 Jan 14, 2009
If any make it, I hope it is the paper mill. Not involved with whoring itself out to the stock market. The stock market will be the demise of this country if it hasn't done it already. People will sell their soul to the devil just to make the stocks show a profit for investors, cutting the working man down to nothing. Thes stock market is about greed, nothing more, nothing less.
redneck hater

United States

#8 Jan 14, 2009
hikerusa wrote:
Soon WNC will be a ghost region void of mfg jobs and hello to the play ground of the rich and famous vacation region. Tourism, healthcare, grocery and of course attorneys will thrive! So long, farewell to the working folks and hello to the bulldozers and loggers. Want fries with that?
I can't wait! This is the best news I've seen in a while. I can't wait for the whole plant to just go away, and take all the reds with it. It is pretty much accepted knowledge that it takes 3 reds to do the work of one amigo. Send the lazy reds to someplace that wants them, like Texas.
The Big Man

United States

#9 Jan 14, 2009
thanks to the illegals the jobs are gone feel sorry for them now u bastardos
boy wunder

United States

#10 Jan 14, 2009
Mountain Gal wrote:
the illegals will thrive
Cindy

Canton, NC

#11 Jan 14, 2009
The Big Man wrote:
The Big Man wrote:
Its not the illegals you need to thank its Bill CLinton you should thank for signing on with the whole NAFTA train. George Bush started it, Bill Clinton passed it, and George W. took it a step further with CAFTA. NAFTA rules protect the interests of large corporate investors while undercutting workers' rights, environmental protections, and democratic accountability.
http://www.epi.org/publications/entry/bp173/

Since: Aug 07

Asheville, NC

#12 Jan 14, 2009
Cindy wrote:
<quoted text><quoted text>
Its not the illegals you need to thank its Bill CLinton you should thank for signing on with the whole NAFTA train. George Bush started it, Bill Clinton passed it, and George W. took it a step further with CAFTA. NAFTA rules protect the interests of large corporate investors while undercutting workers' rights, environmental protections, and democratic accountability.
http://www.epi.org/publications/entry/bp173/
You forgot the part where Clinton threw open the market to Chinese competition for a campaign donation.
Cindy

Canton, NC

#13 Jan 14, 2009
G-hogg wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot the part where Clinton threw open the market to Chinese competition for a campaign donation.
Oh my bad! I didn't want to blow the minds of all these simple democrats at one time.
Asheville

AOL

#14 Jan 14, 2009
flatlander wrote:
Mayor Pat Smathers said he heard about the planned layoffs at the paper mill on Monday but has not yet been able to reach an official at Evergreen.
The town relies on the mill for not only tax revenue but also sewer treatments service.
Fatty Patty is always in the light. He's a joke!
Red neck Hater

Hendersonville, NC

#15 Jan 14, 2009
redneck hater wrote:
<quoted text>
I can wait! This is the worst news I've seen in a while. I can wait for the whole plant to just go away, and take all the idiots, like me, with it. It is pretty much accepted knowledge that it takes one amigo to do the work of someone like myself Send the lazy azzes to someplace that wants them, like my back yard, because, I too am queer!!!
I am sorry, I was way outta line, just read the top of my second quote.
flatlander

Columbia, SC

#16 Jan 15, 2009
The Town of Canton can get ready to purchase, clean up and build another parking lot or ball field. Just what Canton needs.
For Your Info

AOL

#17 Jan 15, 2009
HOMELAND SECURITY:
Is Governor Napolitano Committed to Saving American Jobs and Securing the Border?
It's no secret that the economy is struggling and more and more Americans are finding themselves scouring the classifieds. As President-Elect Obama and the new Congress discuss plans to stimulate the economy, create new jobs, and help those state governments who are drowning in deficit spending, they may be forgetting an important tool to help protect American workers: E-Verify.
Thursday is the perfect opportunity to begin pressuring the Senate to reauthorize E-Verify. Thursday morning at 10:00 am, Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano, who President-Elect Obama has nominated to serve as the next Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), will be appearing before the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs for a hearing on her nomination. As Secretary of DHS, Governor Napolitano will have the critical responsibility of enforcing the nation's immigration laws and securing our borders. In addition, Governor Napolitano will be responsible for the management of the E-Verify program. It is very important that the Members of the committee receive a clear commitment from Governor Napolitano that will support a clean extension of the E-Verify program.
ACTION ITEM: Call the Homeland Security and Government Affairs committee leadership and tell them to ask Gov. Napolitano about her position on the E-Verify program, border security, and ending illegal immigration.
Chairman Joe Lieberman - Ranking Member Susan Collins
Tell Your Senators and Representatives It's Time to Protect American Jobs
The E-Verify program is one of the most important tools available for stopping the employment of illegal aliens. It is considered to be so crucial that voluntary participation in the program has skyrocketed from about 5,000 to over 100,000 in just a few short years. In addition, more and more states and local governments are beginning to require that government contractors and businesses use the program as well. After the House overwhelmingly voted in July to reauthorize E-Verify for five years, the Senate failed to pass a similar measure, instead opting to pass a Continuing Resolution (CR) that would extend the program for six months.
The E-Verify program will expire in just six weeks! If E-Verify is not reauthorized, both American workers and those employers who want to follow the law will be left out in the cold. If the new administration and the Democratic leaders are serious about stimulating the economy and creating new jobs, then they should work quickly to permanently reauthorize this important program.
ACTION ITEM: Call your Representatives TODAY and tell them:
E-Verify is the most effective program available for ensuring our workforce is legal and combating illegal immigration.
You insist that they immediately take all steps necessary to reauthorize E-Verify for at least 10 years-- if not more.
You demand they reject any attempts by any members to add special interest language to the reauthorization bill.
For Your Info

AOL

#18 Jan 15, 2009
The post is from the FAIR (Federation for American Immigration Reform) e-newsletter.
The Joe

Kernersville, NC

#19 Jan 15, 2009
Mountain Gal wrote:
Easy answer to your question....the POOR will cater to the rich just like they do now.
The Joe

Kernersville, NC

#20 Jan 15, 2009
flatlander wrote:
If the town has any hope to keep that mill open and the population employed they'll waive the taxes and sewer treatment costs immediately. It'll start as "temporary" layoffs but this thing is going to escalate into a full-scale closure of the facility in 2010. There is too much capacity in the market right now and that Canton mill isn't competitive. It was a money loser when Evergreen bought it and it will be a money loser when they close it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ex-hcc girl Jan 8 Zaxcrew 2
p.o.s with stds and on drugs. (Mar '14) Jan 6 Maggie 5
News Federal gambling investigation targets more off... (Jan '08) Jan 6 fly on the wall 182
Canton Jukebox (Jul '12) Dec 25 Musikologist 19
Brown Numbered signs on I-40 (Apr '08) Dec 20 Fassn8ting 39
Friendly appliance RIP OFF Dec '17 Wake Up 1
Nathan dyer Nov '17 THS class of 2012 1

Canton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Canton Mortgages