Fish returning to the Pigeon River

There are 8 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 18, 2009, titled Fish returning to the Pigeon River. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

WAYNESVILLE Once nearly eliminated from a river so polluted that all mollusks, such as snails and mussels, and many fish species were killed, aquatic animals are returning to the Pigeon River.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Jack

Albany, GA

#1 Mar 19, 2009
Is the river posted warning of dioxin and/or mercury in the fish? It is likely, after so many years of papermill pollution that the sediments in the river still contain heavy loads of dioxin, and if so, the fish will become contaminated and unfit for human consumption. Mercury from the papermill's processes could also likely be present, and would continue to cause mercury contamination of the fish and mollusks. Just because fish can "live" in the river doesn't mean that they are safe to eat. Hopefully, the state is posting the river, warning people of the dangers of eating contaminated fish.
Wahoo

Greensboro, NC

#2 Mar 19, 2009
The papermill will not only contaminate the fish, but the entire food chain. Hawks and small animals will become victims of the mercury and it will slowly work its way up to larger animals.

Shut that old mill down, it's wreaking havoc.

“tracy”

Since: Mar 09

westfield pa

#3 Mar 21, 2009
I think that there should be posted signs all up the river because alot of people come here on vacations and might not be aware of the problem I also think they should do more about cleaning our rivers and streams up so we all can enjoy what god gave to us if the paper mill is polluting the river then it should be torn down and moved away from it where it cant pollute it.people should think before they build I also think that peole should get out and pick up all the trash in the water not let it stay there some people dont like living in trash.
Oh Noes

United States

#4 Mar 21, 2009
Wouldn't that be "Cherokee"?
Think about punctuation.

“tracy”

westfield pa

#5 Mar 21, 2009
Oh Noes wrote:
Wouldn't that be "Cherokee"?
Think about punctuation.
no I like to spell it this way its my screen name cherokee was already taken
kaibab

Columbus, NC

#6 Mar 21, 2009
It is both a shame and a sin that it took studies to correlate the deaths of children living near the polluted river, before any significant corrective action was taken.

Corporate greed and the protection of a few jobs for the sake of a child's life.

“tracy”

westfield pa

#7 Mar 21, 2009
well you know how it goes it takes a death to do before anyone does anything and then they really dont do much then the problem still isnt solved

“tracy”

westfield pa

#8 Mar 21, 2009
I think that people should think about what dangers these plants would cause before they build them people should be like they were when it was just the horse and buggy things would be better off but now they are to dependant on the government

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cannabis Fri Chico 10 1
News Wedding: Brittney Solesby & Charles Surrett May 10 ApePeeD 1
Waterville Lake (Apr '11) Apr 30 Heelaholic 11
Canton Jukebox (Jul '12) Apr 23 geezer 15
Bragging/BS Apr '15 Denton H 3
Homewrecker Apr '15 Julie 2
Local price gougers Apr '15 LovingHighlands 3
More from around the web

Canton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE