NC Church to Burn Bibles, Christian B...

NC Church to Burn Bibles, Christian Books on Halloween

There are 34 comments on the Fox 8 WGHP story from Oct 14, 2009, titled NC Church to Burn Bibles, Christian Books on Halloween. In it, Fox 8 WGHP reports that:

A North Carolina pastor says his church in Canton plans to burn Bibles and books by Christian authors on Halloween to light a fire under true believers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 8 WGHP.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gurleyman

Tucson, AZ

#21 Oct 15, 2009
This Bible burning is birthed out of pure ignorance. If they took the time to study the origination, they would see that. Besides, they don't read the original 1611 translation, they read the modernized version just like all the other KJV Only folks. This is pure hypocrisy. I used to work at a couple of different Christian bookstores and the KJV only people NEVER wanted to buy the REAL 1611 edition because they couldn't actually read it. IGNORANCE
Unknown

Burlington, NC

#22 Oct 15, 2009
I want to know who taught this man? Seriously! This is absolutly insane!
Megan

Burlington, NC

#23 Oct 15, 2009
River Otter wrote:
LOL! Is Amazing Grace feeling a little insecure with their religion?
As an Atheist, I think the burning of ANY books is a way of dumbing down the population so the church can have more control over it's sheep. It is taking us down a road that our ancestors fled from when they left Europe.
I encourage all Christians to READ their Bibles from front to back outside of the guiding talons of the preachermans greedy hand. I also encourage all Christians to educate themselves on the history of their religion.
thank so much. I am a christian, but I also agree with everything you say. As a Christian I do not believe anything this man says. Not many do. He has crossed the line in a major way that is going to backfire on him in a MAJOR Way. In my personal opnion I would like to see people posting vids on youtube or something the same night this happens and reading the same books their banning! I think it would send a greater message across that we will not allow people like this pastor to degrate our faith and to spit on our constitutional rights as American Citizen's to read the Bible or read any other Christian inspired reading!

Megan
whatintheworld

High Point, NC

#24 Oct 15, 2009
River Otter wrote:
What's next? Burning the readers?
That just might happen there is nothing new under the sun. You cannot destroy God's Word many tried and it survived and the Christianity spread even more. This is just the beginning.
Carl Partin

Rusk, TX

#25 Oct 15, 2009
I know it does not matter to this paster, but no one speaks King James english any more. It is now a dead language, why are other nations allowed a bible in their native language, but American people arn't????
Good Men Triumph

Lewisville, NC

#26 Oct 15, 2009
Attn: Fox 8 News Director - please don't air this story or give credence to this group of whackos. We need some quality news.... there's enough stupid news that airs.
Saved

United States

#27 Oct 16, 2009
Scott McInnis wrote:
Greek and Hebrew are the original language of the BIBLE. These heretics are too LAZY to learn the original languages so they cling to an interpretation created 1700 years after the time of Christ because they don't want to do the hard work of dealing with the text. They are LAZY heretics that have created an IDOL out of the King James Version of the BIBLE.
I do believe I agree with you. Your statement brings light to the whole subject and (though I'm lazy) I trust the Holy Spirit to give me understanding in any translation or in answer to prayer. He reveals many things that are not even written if we just trust the Lord.
Vanessa

Maumee, OH

#28 Oct 17, 2009
That is horrible!!! That guy is one arrogant man! And God will only look down and be ashamed by what he is doing!!! AWFUL and SHAMEFUL!
Pastor Neil -- Troy NC

Clayton, NC

#29 Oct 23, 2009
Being from WNC I realize that this uneducated fellow hasn't one ounce of intelligence. I was raised in one of these churches where you were scared to own any thing but and autorized king james version of the Bible.
I have since researched and come to an undeniable fact, a man had other men attempt to translate from ancient scrolls and other predecessor Bibles. I would challenge this fellow to stand and read Sunday morning to his congregation from the orginal KJV. I feel his foolishness would certainly be exposed.
I firmly believe that the key to this entire service of Pastors is to lead souls to Christ and not expose ourselves to the world as a rging foolish lunatic.
I pray that God will actually speak to this confused individual who needs to get his facts before he plunges into the unknown. He isn't alone there are other babbling well educated folks from this area who are more interested in beleiving fiction rather than facts. So simply stated I believe we need to get the old scrolls out and preach from them come Sunday morning.
DOC

Mocksville, NC

#30 Oct 23, 2009
You can burn all the books you like but as far as the BIBLE you must know the author. The Lord wants us to hide the word in our hearts not in a burning pile.
Pastor Neil -- Troy NC

Clayton, NC

#31 Oct 23, 2009
Heather wrote:
Benjamin Randolph wrote: One verse well known throughout the Christian community is 1 John ch.5 vs 7. In the KJV it says, For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost and these three are one.
In other translations you can find no mention that these three are one or you may find the whole verse completely omitted. The new century version, the new international version, and the new living translation are just a few to note.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. In my NIV Bible the verse is: For there are three that testify: the Spirit, the water, and the blood;and the three are in agreement. I John 5:7
Someone who is uneducated would love for us to follow these thoughts of mis-translation. In both the NIV and NLT they are both simply explaining the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Please research before you become as foolish looking as this individual you are writing in reference to.
sad

White Plains, KY

#32 Oct 23, 2009
The 1611 KJV has been translated 5 times since 1611. Does the pastor at Amazing Grace preach about that? If so, which version is the most accurate? They do not all read the same way, so do you burn everything but the 1611? I hope not because this pastor probably couldnt even read it, let alone preach from it.
It is a sad day when people are buring the Bible and the flag.
If you burn the scripture you are very foolish.
sad

White Plains, KY

#33 Oct 23, 2009
This reminds me of the man who said his son was in the ballon.
STK

Trenton, OH

#34 Oct 24, 2009
I don't see how anyone can say the KJV is the inspired word of God. One could argue that the original Hebrew and Greek text is inspired, because it was written as God spoke to men. This guy really needs to do some reading on King James. He was bi-sexual as his exploits with both men and women are well documented. Yes, he did marry and yes, he did sire children...to carry on the royal lineage. Just check it out for yourself...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 6-year-old drowns in indoor hotel pool in North... Sep 17 evie 1
News Federal gambling investigation targets more off... (Jan '08) Sep 17 Caerleon 179
News NC All-American wrestler charged with statutory... Aug 30 LEE LEE PRICE 1
News Downtown Waynesville 4th of July events (Jul '12) Aug '17 Kitty Grabs Back 2
Taylor Turner Jul '17 Goodtimes 1
Elizabeth Wallace? Jul '17 Evan 1
Theresa braham Jul '17 Jade 1

Canton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Canton Mortgages