Tuscola mourns teen crash victim

Tuscola mourns teen crash victim

There are 15 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jan 30, 2009, titled Tuscola mourns teen crash victim. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Josh Boatwright * [email protected] * published January 31, 2009 12:15 am WAYNESVILLE Tuscola High students wrote messages with chalk on school sidewalks and penned notes on posters across campus ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Sgt Rock

Since: Jun 07

Johnson City, TN

#1 Jan 31, 2009
"He was not wearing a seat belt, Highway Patrol Sgt. Murray Whisenhunt said."

They always have to throw that in.

Sgt Rock

Johnson City, TN

#2 Jan 31, 2009
What does vandalizing a sidewalk have to do with anything?
peggy

Prairie Du Chien, WI

#3 Jan 31, 2009
how many more kids have to get killed before the state will change the law on teen driving . 15 year olds is not responsible enough to be driving
MammaC

Sanford, NC

#4 Jan 31, 2009
chalk, that can be rinsed off with water or will come clean with the first rain is really not vandalism. Give the kids a break- they're trying to show support for the loss of someone they cared about. I'd rather them draw with chalk then to paint the side of a building with spray paint.

Let's all have a little compassion for their loss. Geeze.

Since: Feb 08

Franklin, NC

#5 Jan 31, 2009
peggy wrote:
how many more kids have to get killed before the state will change the law on teen driving . 15 year olds is not responsible enough to be driving
The 15 year old didn't have a drivers license and can't get one at 15 so what law do you think needs changing?
The kid that was driving needs to be charges with manslaughter only after a few convitions of this type will the kids think twice before breaking the law. If they hadn't been breaking the law by driving thier friend would still be alive... and I am sorry for the families loss.

Sgt Rock

Johnson City, TN

#7 Jan 31, 2009
MammaC wrote:
chalk, that can be rinsed off with water or will come clean with the first rain is really not vandalism. Give the kids a break- they're trying to show support for the loss of someone they cared about. I'd rather them draw with chalk then to paint the side of a building with spray paint.
Let's all have a little compassion for their loss. Geeze.
I'm not making remarks about the kids emotional state. I think the vandalism looks cheap, nasty, and extra work for the custodians to have to clean up.
Sgt Rock basher

Greenville, SC

#8 Jan 31, 2009
Sgt Rock wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not making remarks about the kids emotional state. I think the vandalism looks cheap, nasty, and extra work for the custodians to have to clean up.
Someone needs to remove you from this blog site Ahole.
NC NATIVE

Maxton, NC

#9 Jan 31, 2009
Sgt Rock wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you keep your opinions to yourself. If the kids want to write on the sidewalks with chalk so let them. I am ssure that you are not the one that has to clean it up and besides the custodians will leave it until the rain/snow washes it away. They are not that inconsiderate to the students that wrote it and they may have shown their support by writing on the sidewalk as well. So why don't you keep your mouth shut and mind your own business.
NC NATIVE

Maxton, NC

#10 Jan 31, 2009
Sgt Rock basher wrote:
<quoted text>Someone needs to remove you from this blog site Ahole.
Is there some way that this could happen. I am sure alot of other people feel the same way that he should be removed from the blog site

Sgt Rock

Johnson City, TN

#12 Jan 31, 2009
NC NATIVE wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you keep your opinions to yourself. If the kids want to write on the sidewalks with chalk so let them. I am ssure that you are not the one that has to clean it up and besides the custodians will leave it until the rain/snow washes it away. They are not that inconsiderate to the students that wrote it and they may have shown their support by writing on the sidewalk as well. So why don't you keep your mouth shut and mind your own business.
Kiss my azz, Buck.

Sgt Rock

Johnson City, TN

#13 Jan 31, 2009
NC NATIVE wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there some way that this could happen. I am sure alot of other people feel the same way that he should be removed from the blog site
LOL. Never seen you here before, under that nic.
peggy

Prairie Du Chien, WI

#14 Jan 31, 2009
Jay_M wrote:
<quoted text>The 15 year old didn't have a drivers license and can't get one at 15 so what law do you think needs changing?
The kid that was driving needs to be charges with manslaughter only after a few convitions of this type will the kids think twice before breaking the law. If they hadn't been breaking the law by driving thier friend would still be alive... and I am sorry for the families loss.
KIDS DO GET A LICENCE AT 15 THEIR SUPPOSE TO HAVE ADULTS RIDING WITH THEM. THE AGE SHOULD BE 18
Last Buffalo

Maxton, NC

#15 Jan 31, 2009
NC NATIVE wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. I look forward to the Sarge's remarks every day. He makes me laugh, and he has a good sense of humor and is a good man. He has every right to post here just as much as anyone else. I might not always agree with him, but I don't always agree with my husband either. So what!
God have mercy

Spruce Pine, NC

#16 Jan 31, 2009
At Tuscola High School, in the days after a student has passed away they are allowed to write memories or messages to the person who has passed away on the side walk with SIDEWALK CHALK.

This started happening shortly after David Sherrill passed away and several of his classmates and friends when and wrote on the sidewalks with spray paint. The staff at Tuscola had to pressure wash the side walks and you could still see where the paint had been.

Ever since then they have been provided chalk to use so the same incident would not happen again. Sidewalk chalk comes off very easily when it rains and frankly it is not hurting anything. It is just allowing the friends of the victim to get some things off their chest and allows them to heal. I personally think it is a good idea, me having been in the same situation as these kids are going through now. It is a very tough time for them.

When you are 15 you can get a "LEARNERS PERMIT" but you have to have an adult with you who has had their license for AT LEAST 5 years. Maybe the parents of the boy driving should be punished as well, where were they when their child was out without supervision?

Lord be with this family and all of the young boy's friends during this very difficult time.

Please post on here as if it was your child who was killed in the accident.
MammaC

Sanford, NC

#17 Feb 1, 2009
I don't know if it would make a difference to charge this child with manslaughter, or to charge the parents with anything.It wasn't a malicious act- it was a horrible lack of good judgement. Personally, I think that most of the kids around here are good kids with good values. The boy made a mistake, allbeit a huge one. Is it not punishment enough that he has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge that his error in judgement ended the life of his friend? Perhaps this young man might spend his life in service of the community in a manner that his friends death was not in vein.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Does anyone know him? May 3 Curious0413 1
Getting away with murder (Mar '15) May 2 Charles Jenkins 3
News Guards Demand That Middle School Choir Get Perm... Apr 26 FancyButtPirate 5
wreck on I 40 east 3/2/2013 info (Mar '13) Apr 22 Random 5
Brown Numbered signs on I-40 (Apr '08) Nov '15 Mike 28
Canton Jukebox (Jul '12) Oct '15 Musikologist 16
News Meth lab found in Canton (Jul '15) Sep '15 Mirror mirror 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Canton Mortgages