Aldermen led city on path to desegregation

Full story: El Paso Times

Ted Bender helped pass a city ordinance that banned racial discrimination when he was a city alderman in 1962.
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Nov 16, 2010
EPFAN

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

Good article. Not surprised that El Paso passed this ordinance before the nation as a whole. Would like to know when public schools integrated in El Paso. In 1958 we had African Americans in class at Hillside Elementary. In other jurisdictions in the south (I don't really consider El Paso the south) they did not integrate until ten or more years after the 1955? Brown vs. Board of Education case.
Steve El Paso-Rockport

Aransas Pass, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

Judged:

Great story - good interviews -Chris!
Bobby Bag O Donuts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

Judged:

Mexicans are very racist against Blacks, I have seen this here in El Paso and working for the federal government. Blacks also have chips on their shoulders, expect everything for free and are prone to violence.

While some white rednecks are very racist, there aren't many white racist left in a 80% Mexican city, they all left 20 years ago.
Riiiiight

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

Lets not forget the racist hispanics in El Paso. Yes...they are here and continue to demand and demand and demand more and more and more even though you already get everything you want here. I am sick and appalled that a single white male that cannot find a job would get told by welfare that "you are not a minority, a woman or have children, so you do NOT qualify for assistance." So lets get off the racism crap...the story seemed to start about sexual orientation/tolerance...why is it always ALWAYS turned into race???
Cool Breeze

Sterling, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

Judged:

Very good story, with some recent history.
Nolan Richardson, Ted Bender, and "Pajarito" are local icons; good people who did good things for people.
Navshep

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

Judged:

There is no tolerance in this city unless you are Hispanic. Daily I try and celebrate my heritage as a Celtic male, and daily I am refered by people who do not know me a a racist. If I speak out against inequality for whites or even African-Americans, I am called racist towards Hispanics. If I do not celebrate Cinco de Mayo or refer to it as a Mexican Holiday, the Hispanic community in this American City, look at me like a bigot. The fact is that there is no tolerance in this boarder city for anyone of non-hispanic origin. We don't need to worry about keeping El Paso full of American Patriotism, that battle is lost. We who can not afford to leave, need to just worry about survival now. In the end, in my opinion, if you are not hispanic, you need to be trying to leave the city, since we are obviously not welcome here, in this Mexican city.
DC Dave

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

Great story. I remember watching Ted as the tv weatherman. These men were way ahead of the time.
L Chuco

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

Judged:

Thank you for this excellent and timely article. Immigrants and gays are the new Blacks and Mexicans. It's time to end discrimination once and for all.
Robert Burke

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

Great story. El Pasoans are great people, and they lead the nation in racial harmony.
Bush Perry toxic losers

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

THere is still a lot of racism made worst by Rush Limbaugh, and Beck nuts.

The sad thing though is there can be minority on minority racism too especially with the ones who have million dollar fortunes. Just because they own mega shopping centers or own a zillion properties they think their above everyone.

And Mexicans can be reverse racist (or anti American to).

No one can stand the others but everyone wants to be here to make money or get ahead by gaming the system.
Bush Perry toxic losers

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

Long live Birdie and all the good work he's done.
Bobby Bag O Donuts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

Don't try and relate to being a sex deviant to being brown or black.
L Chuco wrote:
Thank you for this excellent and timely article. Immigrants and gays are the new Blacks and Mexicans. It's time to end discrimination once and for all.
L Chuco

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2010

Judged:

Bobby Bag O Donuts wrote:
Don't try and relate to being a sex deviant to being brown or black.
<quoted text>
Don't try to equate being gay with being a sexual deviant. Not the same thing, Gladys.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Canton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Canton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Canton News, Events & Info