LeGeyt To Seek House Seat

Tim LeGeyt, a Republican in his second term on the board of selectmen, said Monday he will seek his party's nomination for the 17th House District seat. Full Story
Big Mouth

Avon, CT

#1 Mar 18, 2008
A good man. I will vote for him. Way to go Tim!!
CrazyBroad

Bristol, CT

#2 Mar 18, 2008
I won't vote for him. All the comments on the other article about the overtime caused by Kevin Witkos' absences from work to serve in this position -- well, what about Tim's students? How will their education suffer when their teacher is out of the classroom serving in his TWO other positions - part-time attorney and a member of the House? What about the cost to the town for providing a substitute teacher for all the days he is away, while collecting his salary? And what has he done on the BOS to make you think he would be any more effective in the House?
North Forty

La Puente, CA

#3 Mar 18, 2008
Tim is a good guy - and this coming from a Democrat such as myself. It doesn't mean I've been thrilled with his decisions while on the Board, either.I too have concerns about his remarks about Kevin's absences and if Tim wins, how he will balance his teaching with representing. Maybe he's eligible to retire as a teacher, thus able to provide full-time devotion to the House. But it's WAY too early to be setting up a tent in anyone's camp. We don't have any idea who all the players are going to be yet. I see where Brett Eisenlohr has announced his candidacy from the Dem side. There will be others, most likely.
A Senior Citizen

Thompson, CT

#4 Mar 18, 2008
Mary T.,lace up your running shoes. We need a touch of class in the House.
concerned townie

Avon, CT

#5 Mar 18, 2008
Wow! I don't know if this will be a good choice for the position. AS someone who was born and raised in this town and has strong family roots, I am concerned that Mr. LeGeyt is the right person for this position. It seems to me that he needs to decide what direction his career is going. I have my youngest child entering the 2nd grade in the fall and do not wish him to be in a class with a "part time" teacher. Students need a teacher that will be there to provide consistent academics. These absences are a lot different than a teacher being out for an illness. This is a choice of his and to think that he would agree to make students pay for his political aspirations is shocking to say the least. I believe Mr. LeGeyt to be a honest and fair man, but he hasn't shown us anything in his role as selectman. Many residents say he only gets the number of votes he does because his family has been in town so long and not for what he has accomplished on the BOS. He has had several years now to make an impact in this town and we have seen nothing from him. How and when is he going to campaign for this position? After school. He rarely speaks up at meetings and he is going to speak for 2 towns? I hope that he will reconsider his decision to run or consider retiring. There are plenty of college grads seeking employment. Let's start off your campaign Mr. LeGeyt with a fresh start to your political dreams so you can focus 100% to the position. We need to stop the complaining of "unwelcomed" overtime by our town employees. I know you have the right to run, but you also have the obligation to educate our children and this can't be done if you are a part-time teacher. Retire with dignity and campaign with pride!
North Forty

La Puente, CA

#6 Mar 18, 2008
I really don't know why the State doesn't drop the "part-time legislator" charade and just go with a full-time, year round Legislature and Senate. They practically are 24/7/365 now, so why not just bump the salary up to whatever a full-time position would be equal to and be done with all this controversy. Sure, it worked for the last 200 years, but this is 2008 and the citizens of this state deserve to have better representation than they do.
Lets be clear

Meriden, CT

#7 Mar 19, 2008
The reason Tim is so "soft spoken" during public meetings is that he tends to work behind the scenes in advocating his agenda on the BOS. This keeps his true positions out of the public eye most of the time. Mr. legeyt does not believe he has to be responsible to the public once he is elected and has stated so!
I also agree that he has accomplished little in the 2 plus years he has been on the board. This would be a mistake by republicans.
Hits from the Bong

AOL

#8 Mar 19, 2008
A Senior Citizen wrote:
Mary T.,lace up your running shoes. We need a touch of class in the House.
Who ever wrote this is out of touch or dreaming (MQ?). MT got booted out of office for a reason. Voters were disenchanted with whatever shenanigans were going on over there at the town hall. I don't know if half of what was said was true but perception is reality. A lot of good people left their jobs, there is bickering and arguing, accusations of lying and trying to screw over retired employees, fingerpointing and name calling, etc and so on. If MT didn't do anything to cause it she certainly didn't do anything to fix. If you can't function at town level what are you going to do at state level. Heck why bother with the state rep position, run for president.
North Forty

La Puente, CA

#9 Mar 19, 2008
Lets be clear wrote:
The reason Tim is so "soft spoken" during public meetings is that he tends to work behind the scenes in advocating his agenda on the BOS. This keeps his true positions out of the public eye most of the time. Mr. legeyt does not believe he has to be responsible to the public once he is elected and has stated so!
I also agree that he has accomplished little in the 2 plus years he has been on the board. This would be a mistake by republicans.
Being soft spoken and working behind the scenes are hisperogative and I have no issue with him not being overly verbal.
If the second part is true - that he doesn't believe he has to be responsible to the public after getting elected - then that's a whole different issue. Why the hell would anyone THINK that, never mind SAY that? That's the sort of quote that his opponents will use as a club when and if he gets the blessing of the party as the Republican nominee. That singular quote/belief would spell doom, IMHO.
Pain In The Tukas

Bristol, CT

#10 Mar 19, 2008
The BOS and the current first selectman screamed and yelled about transparent government. NOBODY, Tim LeGeyt included, should be "working behind the scenes to advocate his agenda". Have some gonads and open your mouth in public - in front of people. Otherwise get online and complain anonymously like the rest of us.
townie

Woodbridge, CT

#11 Mar 28, 2008
I am so sick of hearing "I was born and raised here".It is as though you think you are superior to people that moved here.I care just as much about the elected officials as you do.I pay taxes as well.Your interests
are no more vested than mine.
Pain In The Tukas

Bristol, CT

#12 Apr 8, 2008
oh townie, you are SO right. The problem is that all the "born and raised here" folks are the ones electing the old, useless fuddy duddies sitting on the BOS. Maybe we "newcomers" need to be better informed, and find some good people who would be willing to run our town for us.
resident

Avon, CT

#13 Jul 28, 2008
The problem I have is that I can't "read" the man. One of my kids had him for a teacher one year, and he's a great teacher, as far as I could tell. But I have spoken to him a number of times and I never have any idea what he's really thinking about things, what his real motivation is, and that makes me nervous. My neighbor said the same thing about him- so I know I'm not alone in thinking this.

He's a Freemason, and the thing he's doing with jumping from job to job, that is a Mason thing. I forget the term for it- but it is going from job to job/career to career, for the express purpose of learning, to become eligible for higher office, positions of power.

Frankly, I don't trust him overmuch. But this nation is so messed up, and headed in such a bad direction, it's all pointless anyways. Worrying about local politics when the whole nation is a fascist dictatorship (give it a year) is fruitless.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) 8 hr John 1,168
Celebrate Chanukah in Stoughton (Dec '12) Mon Kundrot dionkie 217
dionkie blows (Aug '13) Mon Truth 334
Doink Rules Sun Doink C 118
What do you like best about CW??? (Jul '10) Sep 26 Kundrot dionkie 1,307
What is the #1 Walsh Accomplishment (Jan '10) Sep 26 Kundrot dionkie 489
What do you like about Shades?? (Apr '13) Sep 25 Kundrot dionkie 348

Canton News Video

Canton Jobs

Canton People Search