Taking on obesity

One of the best ways to address any public challenge, such as the obesity epidemic, is with information, and by requiring restaurant chains to prominently post calorie counts of all of their menu items, the ... Full Story
Dave HARDING

Mobile, AL

#1 Jan 9, 2009
All of these ideas fail to put any onus on the individual who becomes obese. Perhaps we should be looking at a surcharge on the health insurance of anyone who is more than 30 pounds overweight or who smpkes. I guess that people have a right to abuse their bodies, but why should the rest of us have to pay for it?
SAL

Lincolnton, NC

#2 Jan 9, 2009
well said-- make FAT food more expensive--
unfortunately CHOCOLATE is a vegetable--

Since: May 08

Shelburne Falls, MA

#3 Jan 9, 2009
Dave HARDING wrote:
All of these ideas fail to put any onus on the individual who becomes obese. Perhaps we should be looking at a surcharge on the health insurance of anyone who is more than 30 pounds overweight or who smpkes. I guess that people have a right to abuse their bodies, but why should the rest of us have to pay for it?
Smokers already pay a penalty charge!
Obese people should definitely be paying a penalty as well!
charles

Clifton Park, NY

#4 Jan 9, 2009
how is sugar fattening,i was really curious about this one.
Scott

United States

#5 Jan 10, 2009
There's good calories and bad calories. Obviously 1200 calories from a cheese burger French fries and ice cream are different from 1200 calories from a chicken breast whole grain bread mashed patatoes and fruit. Keeping an eye on the glycemic load of your food is important as well. Fiber, fiber, fiber. It cancels out sugar and helps cling to saturated fat and cholesteral. Super fibers like psylium husk are really good. Oh and getting off your butt and working out is good too. Excercise does not have to me in a gym. Just get out there with the kids and run around. And if you do decide to work out start slow.
CJG

Easthampton, MA

#6 Jan 11, 2009
The nanny state can't even do the things it is supposed to be doing - protecting it's citizens from criminals and keeping our roads in one piece. Where in any constitution does it say the State should be dictating what people eat? This is absurd and a infringement on the people's liberty to eat whatever the f--k they want. It they want to kill themselves it's their business, and if there wasn't any socialized medicine like medicare and medicaid being overwhelmed by unhealthy fatties, the public would have no interest whatsoever in what these morons eat.
Public pretender

United States

#7 Jan 11, 2009
CJG wrote:
The nanny state can't even do the things it is supposed to be doing - protecting it's citizens from criminals and keeping our roads in one piece. Where in any constitution does it say the State should be dictating what people eat? This is absurd and a infringement on the people's liberty to eat whatever the f--k they want. It they want to kill themselves it's theirbusiness, and if there wasn't any socialized medicine like medicare and medicaid being overwhelmed by unhealthy fatties, the public would have no interest whatsoever in what these morons eat.
But that's the point isn't it? I don't want to pay for your fat @$$'s so stop f#ck!ng eating so much!es
gimmee more food

West Springfield, MA

#8 Jan 11, 2009
i am fat but not yet as fat as i hope to get. When i die they are going to have to cut me in half and put me in two separate coffins.
Public pretender

United States

#9 Jan 11, 2009
gimmee more food wrote:
i am fat but not yet as fat as i hope to get. When i die they are going to have to cut me in half and put me in two separate coffins.
That's fu#king cool! The fastest way to gain weight is to eat and go right to sleep. That's how sumo wrestlers get so big.
The Necromancer

Valrico, FL

#10 Jan 12, 2009
Dave HARDING wrote:
This is precisely why government should NOT be involved with healthcare..

It feels justified in making Laws that it has no power to make, like smoking, like eating, like insert-next-greatest-cause-her e..

Remember, words like Independence and Freedom actually mean something, or at least they meant something to our founders..

Keep the government out of it, and the problem goes away..
cbb

Glendale, MA

#13 Jan 12, 2009
A better way to combat the obesity epidemic is with personal responsibility, as opposed to my tax dollars.
cbb

Glendale, MA

#14 Jan 12, 2009
I have two goals for 2009:

1. Make my carbon footprint as large as possible.
2. Eat, drink and be merry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dionkie blows (Aug '13) Feb 26 Truth 349
Celebrate Chanukah in Stoughton (Dec '12) Feb 26 Kundrot dionkie 230
What is the #1 Walsh Accomplishment (Jan '10) Feb 26 Kundrot dionkie 502
What do you like about Shades?? (Apr '13) Feb 26 Kundrot dionkie 362
What do you like best about CW??? (Jul '10) Feb 26 Kundrot dionkie 1,319
Doink Rules (May '14) Feb 25 Doink C 148
Doink (Jun '13) Feb 25 Doink C 271

Winter Storm Warning for Norfolk County was issued at March 01 at 4:15AM EST

Canton News Video

Canton Dating