Killer: I'm all better; free me

May 17, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Patriot Ledger

After clubbing Shaun Ouillette to death with a baseball bat in Canton more than 20 years ago, 14-year-old Rod Matthews wiped off the murder weapon and went home to do his homework. via The Patriot Ledger

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

MKM

Since: Apr 07

Brockton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2007

Why should the family of Shaun Quillette have to be put through this ordeal again? I don't think anything anyone in the mental health field could say about Rod Matthews should change his sentence. Will it change anything for Shaun? Can it bring him back? The sentence Rod Matthews passed on Shaun Quillette was FINAL. Shouldn't the penalty handed down by the judicial system be likewise? Shaun will NEVER have a second chance. His life was taken away by Rod Matthews. Why should he be given a second chance? It's tragic for both families.
NotThrowingTheFi rstStone

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Judged:

How many outrageous things did you do as a 14 year old that you now regret? Should you still be judged as that same kid? ROD MATTHEWS WAS DRUGGED FOR 7 YEARS BEFORE HE KILLED. 7 years of speed pumped into a developing young child. His parents should be responsible too.
leave him

Fall River, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2007

NotThrowingTheFirstStone wrote:
How many outrageous things did you do as a 14 year old that you now regret? Should you still be judged as that same kid? ROD MATTHEWS WAS DRUGGED FOR 7 YEARS BEFORE HE KILLED. 7 years of speed pumped into a developing young child. His parents should be responsible too.
and you think he has gotten better in prison????
let him rot!he is an animal for what he did to that young boy.

“Soft words are hard arguments.”

Since: Sep 07

boston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2007

Judged:

No remorse shown

Is Rod Matthews really rehabilitated?("Better safe than 'sorry,' " May 16) His lawyer thought so in 2001, so maybe his lawyer will let him live with him and his family. But what really bothered me is how Northeastern criminologist, James Fox betrayed the victim's mother, Jeannie Quinn. She opened up to him as she would to a friend... and then he appears in court to speak... on behalf of her son's killer!!
Former canton resident

Brockton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

Judged:

Rod Mathews received a second degree murder conviction for the brutal, premeditated murder of shaun ouillette. Fifteen years to life is a slap on the wrist. he should have at the very least got 99 years in a day. He should never be paroled. i know many children who are put on drugs for add none have killed anyone. it is not an excuse for such behavior. he did the crime he should serve the time.
Dedham guy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2009

Judged:

Someone should beat him with a bat. Let him rott there.
Patriot

East Weymouth, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2009

Former canton resident wrote:
Rod Mathews received a second degree murder conviction for the brutal, premeditated murder of shaun ouillette. Fifteen years to life is a slap on the wrist. he should have at the very least got 99 years in a day. He should never be paroled. i know many children who are put on drugs for add none have killed anyone. it is not an excuse for such behavior. he did the crime he should serve the time.
I thought "Premeditation" made it "First Degree?
Brayton Cir childhood

New Bedford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2010

Having ADD is absolutely no excuse for not only taking an amazing,caring,generous,fun person with so much potential out of this world. Rod Mathews also aided to destroy many people family and friends of Shaun's. His mother and sister have to feel the pain on a daily babes. People who were growing up with Shaun and had the pleasure of having him touch their lives have also felt the pain of loss for a long time now. He should never be allowed out or for his pain of what he did to go away. The pain of loosing Shaun has not gone anywhere.
Ted Clement

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

My cousin was the best.
Rod Matthews is a murdering bastard.
If there's a hell, I hope he rots there for what he did to my family.
Matt

East Bridgewater, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2010

Growing up I took medication very similar to that Rod Matthews took, I also attended a school filled with students taking the same medication as Matthews. No one I know of in the school ever killed let alone in premeditated cold blood. The medication argument is a red herring in my opinion.

Rod Matthews was obviously a exceptionally troubled child. People can be born with serious defects, some physical, some mental. I think Matthews was a case of a person born lacking in someway mentally that made or helped him develop into a radically anti-social person. Placing blame in this case seems irrelevant. The focus should be simply, is Rod Matthews a continuing danger to the community. If the answer to that is yes, he shouldn't even have a chance to get out of prison.
DAVE MOORE

Farmingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

i'm nearly 60 year's old and i'm still finding it
very hard to fathom how a mentally stable mind could do such a thing.what state of mind was rod matthews really in when he decided to do this&#58166;this just "didn't happen"
nothing happens in a vacumn.i don't think he's capable of feeling remorse,let alone showing it.if he can't persuade the parole
board,he's sure as hell not going to persuade
shaun's mother.my heart go's out to you ma'm.
Neighboring town

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

I remember when I heard the devastating news that a 14 yr old beat another with a bat to see how it feels. I was only a few yrs older than these boys were & I can remember thinking that there was something very wrong about the matthews boy. I mean what kind of 14 is thinking about killing? A monster in a boys body, thats who!!! At 14 the average boy is playing sport, googling over the girls, playing tricks on each other.......i will be even more heartbroken for shawns family if rod was ever released, not to mention completely disgusted in the judicial system......taking a life especially the way that poor shawns was taken deserves a lifetime in jail & eternity in hell. over the past 25 yrs ive often thought of shawns mother.....a mother myself now ive told my kids the story of shawn & to NEVER go in the woods with only one other friend,( I use the word friend loosely) maybe if someone else was there ot wouldnt have gone as far as death. Blessings to all those whose lives were touched by shawns too few years.........
Bob S

Redmond, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2011

I don't think that Rod Matthews should ever be released, either. Although the psychotropic drugs he was on obviously had the effect of stunting his growth (remember, he was only 4-foot-3 and 80 pounds - unbelievably enough - at the time of his grisly murder of the much-bigger Shaun Ouillette) and turning him from a troubled youngster into a cold-blooded, premeditated killer at the equally-unbelievable age of 14; however, what he did, HE did. Nothing can ever take that away, and certainly nothing can ever bring back Shaun Ouillette. Plus, in poring over many articles on the Internet in the past 2 hours on this particular case, it is quite clear that Rod Matthews - now a 39-year-old man - STILL clearly does not have any kind of a firm grasp on why he killed Shaun. Therefore, parole should continued to be denied until the day that Rod Matthews dies in prison. "For Be It So That One Man Taketh Away The Life of Another, He Too Shalt Have His Life Taken Away."
Jack

Canton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2011

Four Words
Throw away the key!
Scream

Portsmouth, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2011

FirstStone, I never did anything close to what Rod Mathews did when I was 14. Grow up.
John schifone stoughton

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2012

That monster should never get out of jail. There is alot of kids including me when I was young was on meds and I didnt go killing someone with a bat.rod mathews makes me wanna puke and if he ever gets out I hope someone smashes that redheaded freak to death with a bat.
Susan

Hanson, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2012

I think thats pothetic. He should rot in hell for the rest of his life. What makes him different from other murderers, no reason for him to be let out!
Bow

Plainview, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

Judged:

Sp does he have a parole hearing coming up this year????
Gil gilbert

Norwood, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Rod Matthews is a sick twisted individual. The insanity plea is a bunch of bull. The sick son of a bitch wanted to know what it was like to kill someone??? Well now he knows. What a dumb ass. And was it worth it??. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. They may as well keep him in prison..he's institutionalized anyway and would be useless and just a burden to society. He must be use to prison life by now. I feel bad for Matthews mother. To have given birth to such a monster.
Kim Barone

Newark, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

This case has haunted me from the beginning because my own son was Shaun's age and looked a lot like him. Over the years I have thought about Shaun, this precious child who I never met. I remember his mother describing herself as " a dead person" because of the tragedy. While I don't believe in the death penalty, I do believe that Shaun's murderer should NEVER get out of prison.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Canton Discussions

Search the Canton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
dionkie blows (Aug '13) 18 hr truth 269
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) 19 hr Anthony 1,133
What is the #1 Walsh Accomplishment (Jan '10) 21 hr Kundrot dionkie 466
DOINK RULES Topix! (Jan '10) 23 hr Richard Tracy 1,372
Doink (Feb '10) 23 hr Richard Tracy 730
What do you like best about CW??? (Jul '10) 23 hr Richard Tracy 1,188
Doink (Jun '13) 23 hr Richard Tracy 211
•••
•••

Canton News Video

•••
Canton Dating

more search filters

less search filters