At Tweeter These Days, It's Customer ...

At Tweeter These Days, It's Customer Disservice

There are 18 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Nov 19, 2008, titled At Tweeter These Days, It's Customer Disservice. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Tweeter, the Canton, Mass.-based electronic retailer in bankruptcy reorganization, continued to sell extended service warranties on its equipment even after being told that the company servicing the contracts ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

motion

Meriden, CT

#1 Nov 20, 2008
we were told 2 days prior to the chapter 11 filing to contact as many customers as possible to pick up their products or get a credit card refund. the request came from a regional sales manager but no clear explanation was given. now we know why. refund checks for customers with cash or check deposits had also been halted before the filing and there's no way that could possibly be legal. the day of the filing a conference call was held. we were told customers could not retrieve their money or their merchandise, however we were free to sell those "paid for" items to anyone else who walked in to the stores. can you imagine going to Tweeter to pick up your purchase, they refuse to give it to you and then sell it to the guy behind you? some businesses go out with dignity and integrity. Tweeter will go out under a cloud of shame, deception and fraud. while their doors are still open, don't walk inside.
Joe P

Bryn Mawr, PA

#2 Nov 20, 2008
Great post...thank you for confirming my beliefs about not refunding my deposit made by check on 10/18 of 2500.00. This was well before the BK filing. I am still dumbfounded that this money can simply be stolen from me. At least throw me a bone and let me buy a TV with it or something. I have spoken with every person I can think of, left emails, nastygrams, and I am pitching a holy fit to anyone who will listen or try to help me get my money back!!!
motion wrote:
we were told 2 days prior to the chapter 11 filing to contact as many customers as possible to pick up their products or get a credit card refund. the request came from a regional sales manager but no clear explanation was given. now we know why. refund checks for customers with cash or check deposits had also been halted before the filing and there's no way that could possibly be legal. the day of the filing a conference call was held. we were told customers could not retrieve their money or their merchandise, however we were free to sell those "paid for" items to anyone else who walked in to the stores. can you imagine going to Tweeter to pick up your purchase, they refuse to give it to you and then sell it to the guy behind you? some businesses go out with dignity and integrity. Tweeter will go out under a cloud of shame, deception and fraud. while their doors are still open, don't walk inside.
Steve

Killingworth, CT

#3 Nov 20, 2008
Joe P. I feel sorry for you, I really do. Sucks when a big company has your money this way. But, who would really buy anything from Tweeter. They are so overpriced and so high pressure sales. I can't believe they have stayed open this long.
Joe P

Elkins Park, PA

#5 Nov 20, 2008
Steve,
The deal I got from Tweeter was actually very reasonable (In my opinion). The two other estimates I got were over 3k higher than what I was going to pay with tweeter...Granted, I am now out 2500.00 of my deposit money, but I have no issue with the employees or the store before this happened. Now I am just angry and bitter at being robbed blind. Tomorrow I talk to my first attorney about this...we shall see.
Steve wrote:
Joe P. I feel sorry for you, I really do. Sucks when a big company has your money this way. But, who would really buy anything from Tweeter. They are so overpriced and so high pressure sales. I can't believe they have stayed open this long.
motion

Meriden, CT

#6 Nov 20, 2008
Joe P is not alone in this. you have no idea how many tens of thousands of dollars Tweeter has kept under it's slimy court order requests. your money, your products, your warranties, your installation services are all gone. many non executive hardworking people were let go without notice(and I mean ZERO notice)and told Tweeter was keeping their earned and deserved bonuses. customers waiting for their corporate office refund checks were given the runaround. landlords of Tweeter's distribution centers found empty warehouses and no rent checks. all of this was happening way before the chapter 11 filing. I know. I was there watching it unfold from my store level view. the store employees were placed in a difficult, even dangerous position. we were told to give customers a claim form. if that didn't satisfy the customer, we were advised to call the police for our protection. who wants to work in an environment like that? not me anymore.
One Voice

New York, NY

#7 Nov 21, 2008
Hey Tweeter, you are stealing, plain and simple.
Cash

Simsbury, CT

#8 Nov 23, 2008
This is another reason why we should pay cash for our purchases and not fall for the scam of extended warranties. Make good decisions for yourself it saves fighting with others down the line.
Joe P

Bryn Mawr, PA

#9 Nov 25, 2008
WAs advised by an attorney to go into the store and demand my 2500 or at least merchandise totalling that much. If the store manager will not give me the money or merchandise, I am going to call the police. This way a criminal complaint can be filed. After all, it is robbery. The deposit belongs to me, not tweeter. Will advise results after it happens....worst case at least a police report gets filed.
RWH

Cheshire, CT

#10 Nov 25, 2008
Joe P wrote:
WAs advised by an attorney to go into the store and demand my 2500 or at least merchandise totalling that much. If the store manager will not give me the money or merchandise, I am going to call the police. This way a criminal complaint can be filed. After all, it is robbery. The deposit belongs to me, not tweeter. Will advise results after it happens....worst case at least a police report gets filed.
You should do at least that. Filing complaints with any Federal or state agency that will accept one is also a good idea. Your state's consumer protection commission and the BBB are good ones to start with. It could help lead to class action lawsuits which could eventually recover at least some of your money. Good luck.
Joe P

Elkins Park, PA

#11 Nov 25, 2008
Just got back from my tweeter "sit in". It didnt last long when the guy at the desk told me I would be waiting for awhile because they dont have any Tvs in stock there. Of course I knew that, so i called the police. The officer was tremendous. He really gave me the empathy I was looking for and referred me to the local court and took the report of my "theft" by Tweeter. This at least gave me a bit of satisfaction. I have also filed complaints with the attorney general and just got my letter today that they are working on my case, also filed with BBB. Things are rolling, but time is running out..the store closes Dec 7th. Working on getting "real" attorney as well, not just advice from them.
Nancy

Walkertown, NC

#12 Nov 26, 2008
Hi,
Tweeter is also not honoring gift cards, despite this article, which states that they have agreed to honor cards. In fact, I was mistakenly given the "Dealing with Claims" form by a local manager who rudely denied my gift cards, ordered me out of his store, and threatened to call the police on me today.
According to this form, which is given to the managers to "help them deal with irate customers", the following is what they are told to "do" with "people like us".
Dealing with Claims
Wih the immediate changes in our business practices that include, among other changes, the elimination of all refunds, the cancellation of scheduled installations and our inability to honor gift cards, it is inevitable that we will be faced with unhappy customers.
Our Associates are highly skilled in dealing with customers, making a roadmap to resolution unnecessary for most of you. Keep in mind the following:
-Exercise your sense of empathy. It's OK to apologize to the customer and the earlier you do so, the greater the odds of diffusing the situation.
-Explain to the customer what happened. The company has filed for bankruptcy and we are bound by bankruptcy laws to make certain changes in our business immediately.
-Explain that as much as you'd like to help the customer, the law specifically prohibits you from doing so.
-Provide the customer with a Proof of Claim form. Help them fill it out if they need assistance.
-Provide the customer with the name of the Claims Agent where their claim should be sent:
Epiq Bankruptcy Solutions, LLC
757 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10017
http://www.epiq-bankruptcysolutions.com/defau...
The funny thing that I found about the "advise" form for managers is that this article in in dispute with the "inability to honor gift cards" policy:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/11...
Nancy

Walkertown, NC

#13 Nov 26, 2008
Funny you say that about the police. I was threatened in this very way today. And no, I was not using profanity or yelling..at least until he screamed at me in front of at least 15 customers and a few clerks to GET OUT BEFORE HE CALLS THE POLICE.

At that point, I told him to go ahead, since he was the one breaking the law.

How sad that this is what is the managers are told to do as they steal from the customers. Humiliate the customer while you're picking his pocket...what's wrong with a little fun while you're robbing him?

This makes me sick.
Joe P

Bryn Mawr, PA

#14 Nov 28, 2008
Nancy, Try another store in your area if you can. The result may be the same, but dont let them call the police. YOU need to call the police so they represent you instead of the store. At least you may be able to get a complaint filed. All bankruptcy papers say they have to honor gift cards. If they dont, they are violating their bankruptcy and that is fraud. Be calm and collected so the police take you seriously. From what I am understanding, lots of people are getting screwed by Tweeters liquidation company because they opted to retain customers deposits rather than refund money that is not theirs. Also please note that most of the flunkies left at these stores are losing their jobs as well and its not their fault. However, if they act like buffoons and dont treat you well, by all means lay into them. Good luck, and keep us all posted.
johnny

New Fairfield, CT

#15 Nov 28, 2008
these employees are out jobs and can't afford christmas with there families.

and your calling the cops over 2500 bucks? your a standup guy joe p.
JoeP

Bryn Mawr, PA

#16 Dec 1, 2008
Hey Johnny genius....what should I do that would make me a standup guy? Let me and my family donate money to Tweeters bankruptcy fund? I was told by an attorney to call the police so a report could get filed. As I stated in earlier, I have no issue with the employees. They knew this has been coming for months. My sales person hates tweeter because they screwed him over as well by putting him in this position. Also, please see the first post from a TWEETER EMPLOYEE saying how dishonest they were. This is theft pure and simple, so the police were called. I have 3 yr old twins, and I just lost a job a few months ago as well, but found a new one. Life happens Johnny, maybe you should get one.
JoeP

Bryn Mawr, PA

#17 Dec 1, 2008
By the way, its 2,500.00, thats two thousand five hundred dollars. Not 25.00. If it were 25.00 this would not be an issue. Maybe Johnny has the money that he would donate to Tweeter...if you want to write me a check for 2500.00 I would accept it. Thanks.
johnny wrote:
these employees are out jobs and can't afford christmas with there families.
and your calling the cops over 2500 bucks? your a standup guy joe p.
motion

Meriden, CT

#18 Dec 2, 2008
well, if you look at the 1st post on this forum, my prediction was spot on. Tweeter has indeed left the industry under a cloud of shame, deception and fraud. I was cautious enough to get out just before the end, so at least I was lucky enough to get my earned money. I hope the rest of you get something back as well.
Daugherty

Pompano Beach, FL

#19 Dec 11, 2008
I purchased about $7000 dollars worth of Plazma TV, Blue ray and other items and paid cash. I also purchased the extended warraty from the Store Manager. Who worked me hard to buy the tweeter warraty instead of the manufactures warranty. I believe Mr. Sullivan knew full well that the warranty would be no good. What has our world come to and how can these companies get away with this. If I am stopped by the police for speeding I must pay or I will go to jail. How can the government not see this!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fitchburg's untold story: It's the cultural cen... (Dec '09) Jun 23 Tammy 38
electricians (Jan '06) Jun 23 Sara Killinger 9
Review: Huggard & Ewing (Dec '08) Jun 21 Jack M 15
Review: Boston Taekwondo Academy Jun 4 michelle donofrio 1
News Celebrate Chanukah in Stoughton (Dec '12) May '15 kundrot dionkie 232
Doink Rules (May '14) May '15 Doink C 151
Beatles For Sale retuning to E. Walpole! May '15 New England Music... 1
More from around the web

Canton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Canton Mortgages