Hydro Electric Project On Canton Town Meeting Agenda

Full story: Hartford Courant

The Town of Canton will hold an Annual Town Meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Canton Community Center to discuss the town's Hydro Electric Project.
Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Feb 20, 2009

Since: Jun 07

Avon, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2009

The only references I have seen refer to "peak power output".
Well I'd like to know where all this energy is going to come from if you consider the average flow of the river during the winter months.
Wikipedia lists a simple formula for approximating electric power production at a hydroelectric plant.
That is: P = hrgk, where P is Power in kilowatts, h is height in meters, r is flow rate in cubic meters per second, g is acceleration due to gravity of 9.8 m/s2, and k is a coefficient of efficiency ranging from 0 to 1.
If I generously assume the height of the water at each dam is 12 meters, and the flow rate is about 10 cubic meters per second (typical winter flow, and 30% more flow than is available today) I come up with a power calculation of 1176 KW/hr max potential per dam if you assume an theoretical efficiency of 1. Even during the summer months the flow is hard pressed to reach 15 cm/s. that is a far cry from a megawatt…
Have I miscalculated something?(I’d welcome correction)
This seems to back up my calculations: http://www.nooutage.com/images/hydroelectric-...
Even if we were to assume that the potential was 2MW, wouldn’t the payback period be excessively long if ever?
If private enterprise chose to NOT build here there must have been a reason. Could it be that they realized that it was not economically viable?
Even if my numbers are not correct, I simply do not believe that the town should be in the business of generating power.
Get real

Pawcatuck, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2009

People forget that when the Collins Co. produced electricity, they had water rights on the Farmington up to Otis, Mass. They utilized both the upper 'pond' and the lower 'pond'(station 1) to provide adequate water to produce necessary head. Water levels raised and lowered on a daily basis.
Utilizing the river to produce a non polluting resource is a good idea. However without the water rights I can't see it working.
Steve

Golden, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

Also wondering about the fish. Isn't the river a breeding ground for Atlantic Salmon?
Rickey

Windsor, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Yes, it is a breeding ground for Atlantic Salmon but they can't get past the two dams today. Fish ladders would be an improvement for the fish but a scar on the landscape.

I hope that their plans have been scaled back from the last proposal. That plan called for huge flashboards and a second turbine on the upper dam to eke out every last watt of electricity, which would have dried up the river for hundreds of feet below the dam and created slack water well above the Town Bridge.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Canton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Doink Rules 4 hr Drunken Goober 103
Doink (Feb '10) 4 hr Drunken Goober 800
What do you like best about CW??? (Jul '10) 4 hr Drunken Goober 1,301
Doink (Jun '13) 4 hr Drunken Goober 262
What is the #1 Walsh Accomplishment (Jan '10) 4 hr Drunken Goober 485
What do you like about Shades?? (Apr '13) 4 hr Drunken Goober 343
Randal Moller " is a thief " (Feb '14) 10 hr Kundrot dionkie 6

Search the Canton Forum:
•••

Canton News Video