Mass. towns putting solar panels on old landfills

Feb 21, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WSHM - News - News Now

For decades, Canton residents hauled their trash to the local landfill. Then, 25 years ago, it was capped, covered with a lining and buried under a layer of soil and grass.

Comments
21 - 37 of 37 Comments Last updated May 20, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2011

What wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure it hides all your hopes and dreams and soaks up all your tears. Get a life !!
You're obviously very uninformed about closed dumpsites (landfills). If you'd like more information, contact People Investigating Toxic Sites.
slaker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2011

Talk about uninformed ??? They don't clean up landfills. They just cover them up. We have them here and none have ever been cleaned up in all these years and never will be.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2011

slaker wrote:
Talk about uninformed ??? They don't clean up landfills. They just cover them up. We have them here and none have ever been cleaned up in all these years and never will be.
Has anything been built on top of the old landfills? Does your drinking water come from groundwater?
slaker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2011

No, they don't build on landfills where garbage was dumped for years. The land is not stable . I have read where some owners have extracted methane from old landfills . Our water comes from a river. River water is is just a polluted . A solar array would be a good use for such land since it's not really useful for anything else.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

Most closed dumpsites than operated before the late 1970s contain carcinogenic chemicals. So chemical gases are being extracted from many old dumpsites along with the methane. I still feel that putting solar panels on landfills is a way of diverting attention from the much larger problems that have been caused by chemicals in landfills - such as contamination of the drinking water and serious illnesses, including cancer.
Dutch

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2011

I'll go for solar panels.....at least use it for something.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2011

Solar panels will give a false impression that this dumpsite is "green" and distract from the importance of cleaning up toxic waste beneath the ground. Carcinogens will remain in the soil, contaminating the groundwater.
OOHH

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

Don't care..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

OOHH wrote:
Don't care..
Unfortunately, there are too many people that think as you do...the world is in serious trouble.
ACME INC_

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Good use for old landfills.....more landfills could be used this way and be productive.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Judged:

It's not productive if the landfill is not cleaned up. The solar panels will not prevent cancer-causing chemicals from contaminating the groundwater and migrating through the soil. Solar panels will also help incapsulate highly explosive, highly flammable landfill gases, causing a dangerous situation for anyone working or living nearby.
AMY___

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Landfills are garbage . Not meant to be cleaned up. New landfills go in all the time. If it were a toxic waste dump...maybe. Not garbage. They were put there for a reason. Go and try to clean up a few.LOL

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Most landfills contain cancer-causing chemicals. The biggest benefactor of this solar installation is government. With so many people believing this "green" solar-scam, money won't have to be spent cleaning up the old dumpsite. It's very disheartening how many people don't want to look at this environment crisis...I guess ignorance is bliss.
24ktgold

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2011

That's obvious by your posts.....
handyman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2011

PITSfounder wrote:
Most landfills contain cancer-causing chemicals. The biggest benefactor of this solar installation is government. With so many people believing this "green" solar-scam, money won't have to be spent cleaning up the old dumpsite. It's very disheartening how many people don't want to look at this environment crisis...I guess ignorance is bliss.
There's always going to be land fills as long as there is garbage. Where would you rather us put it ?? If you don't like it.....to bad.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2011

If anyone wants information on dangers of old dumpsites, please contact People Investigating Toxic Sites. I will not respond to any more ignorant comments
BigAl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2011

PITSfounder wrote:
If anyone wants information on dangers of old dumpsites, please contact People Investigating Toxic Sites. I will not respond to any more ignorant comments
GOOD !!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Canton Discussions

Search the Canton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
What do you like about Shades?? (Apr '13) 11 hr Kundrot dionkie 334
What is the #1 Walsh Accomplishment (Jan '10) 13 hr Kundrot dionkie 482
Celebrate Chanukah in Stoughton (Dec '12) 21 hr Kundrot dionkie 203
What do you like best about CW??? (Jul '10) 21 hr Kundrot dionkie 1,286
Doink Rules 22 hr Doink C 83
Doink (Feb '10) 22 hr Doink C 793
Doink (Jun '13) 22 hr Doink C 255
•••
•••