Lowe's Drops Plan For Canton Site

Lowe's Drops Plan For Canton Site

There are 25 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Sep 22, 2008, titled Lowe's Drops Plan For Canton Site. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Lowe's won approval earlier this year to build a 119,328-square-foot store with an attached 27,265-square-foot garden center and a 437-space parking lot.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
norma

East Hartford, CT

#1 Sep 23, 2008
there still won't be enough trade in canton to keep m's lumber for going under another time. interesting to see that it was corporate, not local yokels, killing the project. there are many too many stores, big box and ma & pa's.

Since: Jul 07

Canton

#2 Sep 23, 2008
The economy is going to get much worse before it gets any better. The new Best Buy is already struggling and others are treading water. Not a good time to be in business, whether it's big box or Mom & Pop.
PIMMS

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Sep 23, 2008
Where was CARE when they were building that monstrosity that devoured Caton Public Golf Course?
Canton fisherman

Stonington, CT

#4 Sep 23, 2008
Curious if "Norma" is a patron of Miner Lumber a local company that has roots in Canton for years - they get my business and will continue to.

We support our local farmers at the Collinsville market - don't forget our local businesses please -

Glad to see Lowe's decision - don't need more big box killing off our neighbors.
Canton Resident

East Hartford, CT

#6 Sep 23, 2008
North Forty, how do you know the new best buy is struggling. They opened 2 weeks ago, doesn't it seem a little premature to discuss the success of the store??
Miserable Old Man

Winsted, CT

#7 Sep 23, 2008
Too bad... I really wanted to go there and watch yuppies try to load plywood and lumber on the roof racks of their BMW SUVs...
ex west hartford-ite

Moodus, CT

#8 Sep 23, 2008
Miserable Old Man wrote:
Too bad... I really wanted to go there and watch yuppies try to load plywood and lumber on the roof racks of their BMW SUVs...
nah, don't want to get our bimmer's dirty!! we buy $1,000. ford pick up's to haul stuff in, and then we junk them when they get dirty!!!
Canton Big-Box Opponent

Southbury, CT

#9 Sep 23, 2008
PIMMS wrote:
Where was CARE when they were building that monstrosity that devoured Caton Public Golf Course?
Vocal CARE members were at every single meeting opposing the destruction of the golf course and the construction of that monstrosity, as well as the more current Lowe's application. In addition, in each case CARE submitted detailed position papers as to the site plans and future concerns for the sites. These are a matter of public record on file in Town Hall. Unfortunately, then and now, Canton's Boards, especially the Zoning Board, have rendered bad decisions that are not supported by most townspeople and Canton's own plan of development. As long as they keep setting these precedents, big retail developers will continue to come calling.
See the transcript

Avon, CT

#10 Sep 23, 2008
The record shows CARE supported Development of the Golf Course.
mmmm

Cheshire, CT

#11 Sep 24, 2008
Miserable Old Man wrote:
Too bad... I really wanted to go there and watch yuppies try to load plywood and lumber on the roof racks of their BMW SUVs...
Now you can still shop at the local mega-price no-service stores. I have shopped there for years and can no longer afford their high prices and low service. I have every respect for local merchants but too many have stopped paying attention to business.
Interested Observer

Boston, MA

#12 Sep 24, 2008
The new Canton shopping center seems to be a hit - unless they're all struggling. But there always seems to be a crowd - must be filling a need.

But it would be a shame to see that place all boarded up, or turned into a bunch of Dollar Stores.

I did like the Canton golf course better though.
norma

East Hartford, CT

#13 Sep 24, 2008
Canton fisherman wrote:
Curious if "Norma" is a patron of Miner Lumber a local company that has roots in Canton for years - they get my business and will continue to.
We support our local farmers at the Collinsville market - don't forget our local businesses please -
Glad to see Lowe's decision - don't need more big box killing off our neighbors.
Well gosh a ree, shucks yes, I buy from m's because they are down the path, not because they have great hours or a wide inventory like the big boxes do.
Wizard of Odds

Westwood, NJ

#14 Sep 24, 2008
Hey! Where's the story about the selling of Humphrey farm for $9zerozero,zerozerozero.zeroze ro?
Guess that's making Marianne's day, huh? And, thank YOU, Mr. Perry!
Canton Resident

East Hartford, CT

#15 Sep 25, 2008
CARE is a perfect example of what usually happens in small towns, a few people with strong opinions get together and push their agenda. I'm a firm believer that most people in town don't have a problem with the shoppes, or the lowes. They just don't have the motivation to stomp and scream about it like CARE does. I disagree with pretty much every opinion CARE comes out with, but I'm not going to the meetings so I'm not going to complain about it. If those of us who support development get frustrated enough with CARE, we'll come together and push our agenda, until then, guess we'll live with Taco Bell (which they broke ground on last week!)
Lisa

Plymouth, CT

#16 Sep 25, 2008
PIMMS wrote:
Where was CARE when they were building that monstrosity that devoured Caton Public Golf Course?
CARE was there the whole way - but, we lost. Get your facts straight.
Amy Weston

Plymouth, CT

#17 Sep 25, 2008
Canton fisherman wrote:
Curious if "Norma" is a patron of Miner Lumber a local company that has roots in Canton for years - they get my business and will continue to.
We support our local farmers at the Collinsville market - don't forget our local businesses please -
Glad to see Lowe's decision - don't need more big box killing off our neighbors.
Miners is a joke. The cater to contractors, hence the reason they are closed on the weekends, you know, when normal people are off.
tom silva

Wolcott, CT

#18 Sep 25, 2008
Amy,
Miner Lumber is not a joke. And why dont you think contactors are normal
people ?
Miners, like most small locally owned lumber companies in Ct, started
catering to builders many years ago
when the large national chain stores
took over and put a store in just about every town in the country. Southington actually has TWO Home
Chepos! How could they ever compete with that? Miners actually has a
great reputation and does a great
job catering to the local builder.

omg

Wolcott, CT

#19 Sep 25, 2008
"AMY" don't you have better things to do on the weekend...like stay home and take advantage of yourself???
Amy Weston wrote:
<quoted text>
Miners is a joke. The cater to contractors, hence the reason they are closed on the weekends, you know, when normal people are off.
de da de

Simsbury, CT

#20 Sep 26, 2008
Good job.....less tax money for the town!!! Real Smart.
grateful

Canton, CT

#21 Sep 27, 2008
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
CARE was there the whole way - but, we lost. Get your facts straight.
You are absolutely wrong. The Lowell Brothers owned the Canton Golf Course. The Lowell family had run the golf course for years, and were beloved by residents. CARE and other Canton residents did in fact support the shoppes development. The Lowells had tried for years to find a buyer for the property because they didn't want their heirs subject to inheritance taxes. The Lowells had looked at different options including a comprehensive sports complex complete with a huge retail component, hotel and restaurants. When that deal fell apart they took an option with SR Weiner, and were proud of what they got.
With sky rocketing gas prices it's nice to be able to do all your shopping and dining within the Canton borders. And my son was able to get a job a shoppes store and can walk there. Since there is a shortage of employment for high school students I am glad he was able to find employment in our town. We now have two grocery stores, IGA and Shaws, and the Collinsville Farmers Market, so I no longer have to drive futrher for groceries.
I really wonder were the CARE folks shop? Do they drive to Stop & Shop or Big Y? Not very supportive of businesses in their own town. Do they drive to West Farms or Blue Back Square instead of going to the same stores here at the shoppes?
Shop locally. It supports the Canton economy, and all those people employed by the local businesses.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Celebrate Chanukah in Stoughton (Dec '12) Thu kundrot dionkie 232
electricians (Jan '06) May 21 Bob 8
Doink Rules (May '14) May 17 Doink C 151
Beatles For Sale retuning to E. Walpole! May 10 New England Music... 1
First visit to Topix....not impressed May 4 kck408 1
Help Local Letter Carriers Stamp Out Hunger on ... Apr '15 JeanBHall 1
Help Local Letter Carriers Stamp Out Hunger on ... Apr '15 JeanBHall 1
More from around the web

Canton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]