Next Last
Free Speech

Daytona Beach, FL

#1 Dec 10, 2009
RFN (Larry Usner)
1709 N. Hwy 93
Scott, LA 70583

http://tinyurl.com/ydo65gy

RFN is a real joke. You’re a slave who uploads MP3’s for radio stations that are too cheap to hire live people that would give an accurate local forecast.

RFN can’t “man up” on any of their boasting about all the great prizes they have to offer.

If you want to get taken to the cleaners-this gig is for you.
Free Speech

Daytona Beach, FL

#2 Dec 10, 2009
From Scott, LA — 12/10/2009
Category Rating
Pay -5
Respect -4
Benefits -5
Job Security 0
Work/Life Balance 0
Career Potential/Growth -5
Location 4
Co-worker Competence 0
Work Environment 0
Radio Forecast Network-RFN is a barter broadcasting outfit run by Larry Usner (Scott, LA) and Rod Tanner (Ft.Wayne, IN) that relies on broadcasters doing weather forecasts using home studio equipment. RFN promised to “barter” work with prizes like stereo and computer equipment, software, and other tempting gadgets. The Barter website has nothing more than books. RFN is a true work at home scam.
Comment on this review (2)

Share:FacebookDiggMySpace
Just My Opinion

Charleston, SC

#3 Feb 1, 2010
FREE SPEACH appears to be focused on getting rather than giving; which is always less rewarding. If you signed up because you wanted "great prizes" for minimal effort perhaps you should google "due diligence" Merrian-Webster defines it as: Research and analysis of a company or organization done in preparation for a business transaction.

Learning from your experience will serve you better than stewing over it. Just a suggestion.
irritated

Foley, AL

#4 Jul 20, 2010
Actually, he's right. You are paid in a point system that can be bartered for goods, however the choice of goods that are usable by the average person is slim. There are folks who are on a paid status with RFN agreeing to take on a larger workload in exchange to be paid in money. Well, I only saw 2 checks then after 7 additional months of non-payment, I had to quit. It's been over a year with no payment. I've asked, with only promises in return that it's "coming soon."
Just My Opinion wrote:
FREE SPEACH appears to be focused on getting rather than giving; which is always less rewarding. If you signed up because you wanted "great prizes" for minimal effort perhaps you should google "due diligence" Merrian-Webster defines it as: Research and analysis of a company or organization done in preparation for a business transaction.
Learning from your experience will serve you better than stewing over it. Just a suggestion.
Big Time Joke

Waconia, MN

#5 Nov 30, 2010
Horrible experience with them. Lies, lies, lies. Stay far, far away from them.
irritated wrote:
Actually, he's right. You are paid in a point system that can be bartered for goods, however the choice of goods that are usable by the average person is slim. There are folks who are on a paid status with RFN agreeing to take on a larger workload in exchange to be paid in money. Well, I only saw 2 checks then after 7 additional months of non-payment, I had to quit. It's been over a year with no payment. I've asked, with only promises in return that it's "coming soon."
<quoted text>
Still waiting

North Olmsted, OH

#6 Dec 7, 2010
Its promise after promise, lie after lie, fail after fail. The idea is solid, the execution sucks.
Endless Lies

Fort Wayne, IN

#7 Jan 18, 2011
I'm rather confident that these guys will eventually make this work but, it will only happen if people are willing to keep working for NOTHING...

I think that it is possible that Larry is a decent guy that keeps promising things that he actually believes will happen... then he finds out he was told a lie so then he becomes a lier himself. Rod Tanner (Director of Operations) is told these lies by Larry and then passes them along and thus HE is telling lies... it's an endless cycle.

If Rod Tanner would stop working, that would be the end of RFN... Larry doesn't have the personality to pull this off alone...

Sure you are told up front you will get barter dollars but, be sure to understand that even if the barter site works, the products are usually stuff you could pick up for pocket change at a local garage sale (aka - you don't want it). Plus you have to pay taxes on these Barter Dollars that you can't even use!!!

If you are one of the lucky ones that get paid... you'll stay with for a while believing the promises and then one day you'll wake up and realize that you have not been paid for 6 or more months... BUT, as long as you keep working you will get some money if and when it comes in... should you stop because they owe you so much and you are tied of he BS... you are tossed to the end of the list of people who actually receive real money... and since you are not working, you don't get paid... do youself a favor... stay clear of this opperation!!!
RUNDONTWALK

Fort Wayne, IN

#8 Feb 20, 2011
Avoid this group at all costs.
These posts are true. I am considering legal action myself
Me too

Philipsburg, PA

#9 Feb 28, 2011
Legal action may be coming very soon.
May be getting close

Philipsburg, PA

#10 Apr 13, 2011
Well, Larry called everyone and explained what is going on and what the hopes are going forward. Frankly, it was the same speech I've heard every year since I started. But...two things keep me going. One, our client base has more than quadrupled since I started and that growth HAS to count for something. And two, I'm looking at it like a guy who keeps predicting a major blizzard every time a winter storm comes along. He may be wrong 10 times in a row. But he keeps predicting the same thing over and over and over and eventually it happens. And when it does, all of the frustrated snow lovers are suddenly extremely happy and all of the failed forecasts are forgotten. Here's to hoping a blizzard of epic proportions is about to fall on RFN.
My 2 Cents Worth

Scottsdale, AZ

#11 May 25, 2011
I've been given the forecast of sunny days ahead and all I've received have been monsoons. I started out doing the barter thing but the barter awards are all crap. When I went back as a paid announcer it was even worse. Late checks, short checks and broken promises and false hopes. The OPS guy, Rod, is decent enough but the owner, Larry, is a joke. He has ignorded my phone calls and e-mails about when to expect payment. Right now I'm still waiting on pay from as far back as February. How can a company with the advertising inventory that RFN has always be broke? My advice is STAY AWAY!
The only hope may be

Philipsburg, PA

#12 May 31, 2011
if Larry sells. Its painfully obvious he is incapable of making this work. He has had deal after deal after deal on the table and has failed to seal it each and every time. How a business can grow so rapidly yet make almost no money is beyond incompetence. Its almost miraculous. And lets say for argument's sake he closes some big deal, gets caught up on pay and pays us on time...even for a year. Is there anyone who is going to trust Larry Usner as a full-time employer going forward? But back to reality and the current situation: he has the nerve to act like he's doing us a favor. Like we're bothering him when we ask for pay that is in many cases months and months behind schedule. If things don't change real soon, it may be time for two words...class action.
My 2 Cents Worth

Falls Church, VA

#13 Jun 1, 2011
I thought about a suit as well but I have an attorney friend who advised against a class action suit though. Normally, those kinds of cases involved hundreds or more. Instead, he's filing a motion with the Louisana Labor Board. I've also got a few things planned. I'm not sure if Rod is caught up in the lies and deception or if he's one of the players. Oh and when I called a couple of weather services to inquire about freelance work, they were not surprised at what's happening at RFN. So, Larry, your reputation precedes you.
The only hope may be

Philipsburg, PA

#14 Jun 1, 2011
Where would a suit need to be filed? In Louisiana where the company is based or the state where you live?

Since: Jun 11

Port Matilda, pa

#15 Jun 1, 2011
I have been working for RFN since 2005 and, unless something has changed, I am the only meteorologist currently on the staff. I have done countless hours of extra work and am considered...I guess...important in doing things like hurricane feeds and technical weather discussions. I have even done live reports with stations during extreme events. Yet when I inquire about the money owed to me...which is very substantial...I am usually ignored or fed the usual lines. So on that front (no pun intended) I agree with a lot, if not most, of the negative things said. In many ways I feel used and disrespected. BUT...two very important things to consider. One, the concept is good. Why after 7 years and exponential growth of clients we can't make any sustainable money is incomprehensible. But that doesn't change the fact that the concept is solid and the hope that one...just one...of the "big deals" will come through. Or someone will buy us out keep me going. Two...and this is epically important...should lawsuits start flying and Larry decides just to claim bankruptcy; then he isn't responsible for anything owed anyone. So if RFN goes down because of lawsuits, all the work and frustration is for naught. To use an old phrase you'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face. And what good would come of that?

As for a class action, even if one were filed and we got paid from it, we'd only get a fraction of the money owed to us. I don't know about anyone else but I don't want a fraction or a percentage of my money. I want my money.

So people have to do what they have to do. If its quit, quit. If its reduce your work, reduce your work. Lawsuits...at least to me...seem counterproductive.

Okay I have rambled on enough.
My 2 Cents Worth

Falls Church, VA

#16 Jun 2, 2011
I'm happy to see the interest in this subject. To comment on a previous post, you'll need to file actions, either legal or with a government agency, like the Labor Board, in Louisiana since that's where RFN is based.

Port Matilda, pa

#17 Jun 2, 2011
I think there is interest in this subject because of what I said in my previous post. The concept is solid. I don't know why every time a major deal seems imminent it fails to be finalized in the 11th hour. I'm just hoping if Larry can't make it work...and maybe he can. But if he can't he'll either sell to or partner with someone who can. I don't understand why Weatherbug doesn't put some cash in. We splatter their name all over the country. We should be paid for that. We've put way too much time and effort into it for it to fail. And I really think legal action would lead to failure. I did consider it and looked seriously into it. In the end, the potential negative outweighs the potential positive. At least at this point and in my opinion.

Port Matilda, pa

#18 Jun 2, 2011
2 cents...I am curious about the reputation you spoke of. Email me who you spoke to and what was said. I don't think an open forum is appropriate to discuss it.

Location hidden

#19 Jun 4, 2011
If anyone is interested in taking collective action please email me. I think those who haven't been paid for their work and talent have been more than patient.

Port Matilda, pa

#20 Jun 4, 2011
Something needs to happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cankton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Louisiana... (Oct '10) 1 hr Living Wage 3,255
coach stelly for mayor (May '12) 11 hr U so stupid 29
Church Point's Halloween Haunted Attraction Sep 11 cpgorilla1 5
Who will be the next Church Point Police Cheif ... Sep 11 lil bob 1
No police officers in Grand Coteau were are the... Sep 9 well my my 3
Mexicans in CP (Nov '13) Sep 7 Great White Shark 42
Duson Police officer shortage addressed Sep 7 Concerned 1
•••
•••
Cankton Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••