stop

Independence, KS

#1 Oct 15, 2012
question? Why wouldnt the fire dept be dispatch first to a fire than a cop? Can somebody explain why a cop shows up to a fire then says yep the house is on fire. Then 5 to 10 min. later the fire dept shows up? What i am pissed off about is that this happened to a family member of mine and he and his girlfriend has 4 KIDS, luckly the kids was not home. They need more trainning in the police dept and on the fire dept.
Why The Hell Not

Coffeyville, KS

#2 Oct 15, 2012
stop wrote:
question? Why wouldnt the fire dept be dispatch first to a fire than a cop? Can somebody explain why a cop shows up to a fire then says yep the house is on fire. Then 5 to 10 min. later the fire dept shows up? What i am pissed off about is that this happened to a family member of mine and he and his girlfriend has 4 KIDS, luckly the kids was not home. They need more trainning in the police dept and on the fire dept.
It has always been that way here......The dispatcher that particular night is an idiot........i heard the whole thing on trusty scanner...they made at least 3 pages for firemen..then fire chief (idiot dispatchers brother) made another begging for manpower......they sure didnt get in any hurry that night.....fire department has definately went downhill over the past few years..... new trucks and calendars dont make a good department....neither do unmarked police suv's
Mr Walkman

Wann, OK

#3 Oct 15, 2012
The officer on duty at the time was either on a call or a traffic stop, when the page was made. Is is VERY common to make additional pages. Not saying that no one is showing up, it is just so the informaion is repeated. Tony making a page from his hadle is not out of line.
Of course the office on duty will(and should) get to the scene first as he is already on duty and in an emergency vehicle. It also helps to have that 'on scene' knowledge of what is really going on.
As far as the time frame, it always seems alot longer that what the actual time frame is. If anyone has issues, they can go get times from either dispatch or go ask Tony himself. Its open record.
Why The Hell Not

Coffeyville, KS

#4 Oct 16, 2012
Mr Walkman wrote:
The officer on duty at the time was either on a call or a traffic stop, when the page was made. Is is VERY common to make additional pages. Not saying that no one is showing up, it is just so the informaion is repeated. Tony making a page from his hadle is not out of line.
Of course the office on duty will(and should) get to the scene first as he is already on duty and in an emergency vehicle. It also helps to have that 'on scene' knowledge of what is really going on.
As far as the time frame, it always seems alot longer that what the actual time frame is. If anyone has issues, they can go get times from either dispatch or go ask Tony himself. Its open record.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better...... when the conversations between the firefighters are on the air and they are saying they dont have enough manpower....then NO ONE IS SHOWING UP....
Momma V

Coffeyville, KS

#5 Oct 21, 2012
Perhaps if someone is worried about the fire department not having the man power or that they are not moving fast enough then maybe they should offer their self as a volunteer to the fire department.

It is, as in most towns, protocol to have police officers at the scene first to access what is needed and to make sure the scene is safe for others to approach.

It is unfortunate that anyone has to deal with the tragedy of a fire...it is one of my worst fears. I am thankful that no one was hurt physically in this instance.

Instead of using Topix to share your concerns maybe you could go talk to the council about this. In order to be heard you have to talk in a calm adult manor...not matter how mad you are. I know this because I have had to learn to do it over the years.
non

United States

#6 Oct 22, 2012
Caney or Sedan?
Why The Hell Not

Coffeyville, KS

#7 Oct 22, 2012
Momma V wrote:
Perhaps if someone is worried about the fire department not having the man power or that they are not moving fast enough then maybe they should offer their self as a volunteer to the fire department.
It is, as in most towns, protocol to have police officers at the scene first to access what is needed and to make sure the scene is safe for others to approach.
It is unfortunate that anyone has to deal with the tragedy of a fire...it is one of my worst fears. I am thankful that no one was hurt physically in this instance.
Instead of using Topix to share your concerns maybe you could go talk to the council about this. In order to be heard you have to talk in a calm adult manor...not matter how mad you are. I know this because I have had to learn to do it over the years.
yeah like the council will do anything..unless your kissing pell, mccammon, or mcbrides ass..........but you know that old smell well dont you..........kim
outside looking in

Wichita, KS

#8 Oct 23, 2012
The Fire was indeed unfortunate for the homeowner and his family. The duty officer should n most cases make it to the scene first as like stated in another post he is already in an emergency vehicle. The fact it took so long for the Fire Dept to respond is again truely unfortunate but you have to keep two things in mind CCaney has a volunteer Fire Dept. and the fire happened in the ealy morning hours when most people were asleep. Multiple pages for people aren't uncommon as bigger cities do it as well but they also have a paid Fire Dept and if needed can recall every Employee of that Dept back to help fight a fire if needed. It all boils down to this simple but true statement " If you don't like hey way that the City of Caney is ran, show it at the polls and vote in people that you think are better and would do a better job in City Government "
Doris

Pittsburg, KS

#9 Oct 23, 2012
Momma V wrote:
Absolutely! All of us in small towns across the nation owe a debt of gratitude to those individuals who VOLUNTEER (without pay) to protect our lives and property. So, whiners and complainers: get with the program, make it better, volunteer your services.
stop

Independence, KS

#10 Oct 26, 2012
ok i hate to say this, i was a volunteer for the caney fire dept. My father was a volunteer and there was times i went on fire calls that the police show up after we got there, or show up at the same time.
I dont live in Caney anymore. Where i live the fire dept, ems and police dept shows up at the same time.
When i went on fire calls i did get paid it was $8.00 a call. That was back in 1993 and from what i hear even through they are volunteers they are not trainned very well. i do hear horror stories of people going to the council and nothing gets done.
all i was doing was saying what happened and it could happen were somebody is trapped. the cops saying on the cars are not there anymore "To protect and serve".
Why The Hell Not

Coffeyville, KS

#11 Oct 27, 2012
stop wrote:
ok i hate to say this, i was a volunteer for the caney fire dept. My father was a volunteer and there was times i went on fire calls that the police show up after we got there, or show up at the same time.
I dont live in Caney anymore. Where i live the fire dept, ems and police dept shows up at the same time.
When i went on fire calls i did get paid it was $8.00 a call. That was back in 1993 and from what i hear even through they are volunteers they are not trainned very well. i do hear horror stories of people going to the council and nothing gets done.
all i was doing was saying what happened and it could happen were somebody is trapped. the cops saying on the cars are not there anymore "To protect and serve".
You are correct about people going to the council and nothing getting done...thats why they call it the buddy system..........they all have their noses planted up the beefy city clerks rear end...she is the one who runs the city and hides all the money.....
Momma V

Coffeyville, KS

#12 Oct 28, 2012
Why The Hell Not wrote:
<quoted text>yeah like the council will do anything..unless your kissing pell, mccammon, or mcbrides ass..........but you know that old smell well dont you..........kim
Not sure what that is supposed to mean but if it makes you feel better then more power to you.
JoeBlow

Coffeyville, KS

#13 Feb 6, 2015
stop wrote:
Are you really that stupid? You should not be allowed to breed. police officer, already in his car, drives to fire. Volunteer firemen, if they don't first have to get up and get dressed, get into their car and drive to fire station, wait one more minute for others to arrive, then drive truck to fire.
Imwatchinyou

United States

#14 Feb 6, 2015
JoeBlow wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you really that stupid? You should not be allowed to breed. police officer, already in his car, drives to fire. Volunteer firemen, if they don't first have to get up and get dressed, get into their car and drive to fire station, wait one more minute for others to arrive, then drive truck to fire.
You are a pathetically rude little man aren't you? A little too much time on your hands to be replying to posts from 2012.
Countryman88

Mount Vernon, MO

#15 Feb 8, 2015
We are worried about it and they only pick their favorites to get on fire departments. One up there thinks his shit don't stink that's billy kolb. Uses taxpayers money sitting up there's using cable. Steals from people he works for and uses everybody
pattie

Independence, KS

#16 Feb 9, 2015
Countryman88 wrote:
We are worried about it and they only pick their favorites to get on fire departments. One up there thinks his shit don't stink that's billy kolb. Uses taxpayers money sitting up there's using cable. Steals from people he works for and uses everybody
Same thing at matcor
Gangnum Style

Bartlesville, OK

#17 Feb 16, 2015
Funny, same bitchers here all the time, they do not to make a difference, they just want to whine and cry. If McCammon and Pell are still an issue I would leave town. They are both pretty much nothing here anymore. Force reform, go to council meetings, get change made, confront the department heads and do not let up. Or you could just shut up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to Brandi Smith Thu GubbaBump 1
Good reliable contractir (May '17) Thu GubbaBump 4
News Southeast Kansas teacher accused of sex with st... (Mar '07) Apr 18 JEM 1,263
Eek Apr 12 Mellie 1
Tyro Cultist Church (Jul '14) Apr 11 CodeTalker 52
Punk's junk gyro ks Mar '18 Wonder 2
grocery store? Mar '18 Wonder 6

Caney Jobs

Personal Finance

Caney Mortgages