Man arrested after 10-hour stand-off ...

Man arrested after 10-hour stand-off with deputies

There are 42 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Aug 18, 2008, titled Man arrested after 10-hour stand-off with deputies. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Comments on Topix forums : CANDLER A Candler man faces charges of assaulting officers with a rifle after a 10-hour stand-off with Buncombe County Sheriff's deputies, according to court documents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Huh

Asheville, NC

#1 Aug 18, 2008
Jeremiah Israel Dockins, 21, of Pinners Cove Road, Asheville and Katherine Courtney Womack, 21, of Kensington Place, Asheville, were charged with one count each of larceny from a construction site. Buckner was also charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. Their bonds were set as a written promise to appear in court.
....Buckner??

Since: Jun 08

Fairview, NC

#2 Aug 18, 2008
The AC-T never ceases to amaze me, I've said it before and I will say it again HIRE A PROOFREADER!
95 BRAVO

Garner, NC

#3 Aug 18, 2008
Larry Joe McCarter, 55, of Keller Mill Road, Traveler's Rest, S.C., was charged with assaulting a government employee, driving while impaired, possession of an open alcohol container in the passenger area of a vehicle, flee or elude arrest in a motor vehicle, possession of a stolen vehicle, possession of stolen goods, resisting officers and a fugitive warrant from Greenville County, S.C., for aggravated assault on an officer. His bond was set at $80,500.

Well, I guess if you're going to screw up, do it right!

“RadicalDudette”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#4 Aug 18, 2008
Well at least the bonds were high for the first two criminals.

But the others should have been given
a bond, despite it the crime was different.
carolina cat

Asheville, NC

#5 Aug 18, 2008
i love jeff gordon
TJL

United States

#6 Aug 18, 2008
Police kept the incident in Candler from residents while shutting down the entire Big Cove loop area for many hours leaving folks stranded with NO explaination. I had frightened teens staying with me overnight who were turned away from getting home. Even a day later the police refused to give any answers...it is not reasonable or acceptable for the local authorities to be so silent in any situation that impacts the public like this did.
Ronald Frobnitz

United States

#7 Aug 18, 2008
I am glad to see appropriate bonds set in the first two cases.
No Clue

United States

#8 Aug 18, 2008
TLJ,
Shut up and quit whinning!! If you needed to know something, they would have told you. Maybe they were busy keeping a subject contained and not posing a threat to you.
bobo

Asheville, NC

#9 Aug 18, 2008
TJL wrote:
Police kept the incident in Candler from residents while shutting down the entire Big Cove loop area for many hours leaving folks stranded with NO explaination. I had frightened teens staying with me overnight who were turned away from getting home. Even a day later the police refused to give any answers...it is not reasonable or acceptable for the local authorities to be so silent in any situation that impacts the public like this did.
Give me a break!!
Concerned Candler

Boiling Springs, SC

#10 Aug 18, 2008
To TJL Would you want those teens life in danger or would rather know what was going on at that time while officers were at work, protecting the community and risking their lives! Sometimes its not an appropriate time to give out information, you know there is a privacy act in almost every thing you do these days.
catchinheat

Conover, NC

#11 Aug 18, 2008
i think tjl was just very nosy and couldn't find out for herself
TJL

United States

#12 Aug 18, 2008
No Clue wrote:
TLJ,
Shut up and quit whinning!! If you needed to know something, they would have told you. Maybe they were busy keeping a subject contained and not posing a threat to you.
Stupid Lemming
TJL

United States

#13 Aug 18, 2008
Concerned Candler wrote:
To TJL Would you want those teens life in danger or would rather know what was going on at that time while officers were at work, protecting the community and risking their lives! Sometimes its not an appropriate time to give out information, you know there is a privacy act in almost every thing you do these days.
The kids were not inside the area wanting out...they were outside wondering if something had happened to their family which they were seperated from. I simply wanted an answer to give them. They also wanted to feel safe the next day when they went home...that's not too much to ask is it.
TJL

United States

#14 Aug 18, 2008
catchinheat wrote:
i think tjl was just very nosy and couldn't find out for herself
Try not to think...clearly it is above your pay grade.
LETSJUSTSAY

Asheville, NC

#15 Aug 18, 2008
Lets Just Pretend that something did happen to one of their family members. What do you think would have happened then?? I know what I would do, I would try to force my way in one way or another to get to my family. Some folks are like that. And besides, if something had happened to their family, don't you think worrying for 10 hours would have been worse on them? The less the public knows during a heated situation, the better until it's all resolved. It keeps anyone else from putting themselves in a position to take unnecessary risks. I don't think they acted unreasonably at all. It just kills people not to know all the details.
TJL wrote:
<quoted text>
The kids were not inside the area wanting out...they were outside wondering if something had happened to their family which they were seperated from. I simply wanted an answer to give them. They also wanted to feel safe the next day when they went home...that's not too much to ask is it.
ollie

Taylorsville, NC

#16 Aug 18, 2008
why waste 10 hrs. on this worthless piece of dung.
aim for center mass and be done with it. he'll be turned loose and then he'll really get somebody. assualt on a law enforcement official should be met with deadly force and then let the coronor sort out the deadly details.
Old Booger

Casar, NC

#17 Aug 18, 2008
ollie wrote:
aim for center mass and be done with it. he'll be turned loose and then he'll really get somebody. assualt on a law enforcement official should be met with deadly force and then let the coronor sort out the deadly details.
This is my new bestest friend^^^^

Since: May 07

Asheville, NC

#18 Aug 18, 2008
ollie wrote:
While I fully agree, its hard to hit someone who has locked himself back in his house after shooting at a deputy. Once the negotiation starts its tough to kill him and have a clean shoot.
No Clue

United States

#19 Aug 18, 2008
TLJ,
I still think you are stupid and nosy!! You need to find something to do.

“Yes, I'm laughing @ you...”

Since: Jun 08

...unless you're laughing w/me

#20 Aug 18, 2008
LETSJUSTSAY wrote:
Lets Just Pretend that something did happen to one of their family members. What do you think would have happened then?? I know what I would do, I would try to force my way in one way or another to get to my family. Some folks are like that. And besides, if something had happened to their family, don't you think worrying for 10 hours would have been worse on them? The less the public knows during a heated situation, the better until it's all resolved. It keeps anyone else from putting themselves in a position to take unnecessary risks. I don't think they acted unreasonably at all. It just kills people not to know all the details.
Let's keep going with the "let's pretend." Let's pretend you and the others found out what was going on got on cell phones and started calling others related to those in the neighborhood... and those people came running to see what was going on... and people started calling 911 to find out what was going on... and tied up the lines so other emergencies couldn't be reported... and distracting officers on the scene by repeatedly asking questions that had no good answers at the time.

Sometimes it's best to just back off and let LEOs do what they're trained to do. Take the kids to Mickey D's for a coke and chill.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Candler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Obama Deceived The Public On Healthcare (Nov '13) 1 hr Ruthann 48
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr Paul Porter1 141,801
14th Bothwell DWI Thread Deleted 3 hr Satdump Thomass H... 8
YANKEE NORTHERN SLAVE MERCHANTS The First To Ow... 4 hr Satdump Thomass H... 6
News Confederate flag fan defends the stars & bars 4 hr Satdump Thomass H... 43
The CONFEDERATE FLAG REPRESENTS SOUTHERN PRIDE 4 hr Satdump Thomass H... 6
OBAMA SUCKS! anyone vote for obama and now wish... (Jul '09) 4 hr Satdump Thomass H... 295
More from around the web

Candler People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Candler Mortgages