Lib Hissyfit after Baker Refuses G8y ...

Lib Hissyfit after Baker Refuses G8y Wedding Cake Order

Posted in the Canal Winchester Forum

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#1 Jul 30, 2012
1/1

---

Lakewood Cake Shop Refuses Wedding Cake To Gay Couple
July 28, 2012 7:06 PM

LAKEWOOD, Colo.(CBS4)– Chick-fil-A’s president spoke out against gay marriage last week, sparking a huge uproar in the gay community, and now the issue is spilling over to a Colorado bakery.

The owner of Masterpiece Cake Shop in Lakewood refused to bake a wedding cake for a local gay couple and now people are pushing a boycott against the owner.

Shop owner Jack Phillips probably didn’t think he was going to be wading into a civil rights debate a week ago when he told the gay couple that he would not make a cake for their wedding, but that’s exactly what has happened.

Dave Mullin and Charlie Craig say they dated for nearly two years before getting engaged. They went into the Masterpiece Cake Shop thinking they’d spend a full day trying cakes for their ceremony. Instead the meeting lasted a few seconds.

“My first comment was,‘We’re getting married,’ and he just shut that down immediately,” Craig said.

Mullin and Craig were stunned. They went online and posted their experience on Facebook. The response has been huge.

Dozens of protesters gathered outside the shop on Saturday and were very angry.

It wasn’t the first time the shop turned down gay couples who wanted a cake. Phillips has received more than 1,000 angry messages about his stance.

“If gays come in and want to order birthday cakes or any cakes for any occasion, graduations, or whatever, I have no prejudice against that whatsoever,” Phillips said.“It’s just the wedding cake, not the people, not their lifestyle.”

Jack Phillips (credit: CBS)
“I support local business, I think it’s really important to our community to support local business,” protester Cate Owen said.“If it has to do with discrimination I don’t think we should support it. I think we should want to change their policies. It’s not like we want to shut them down.”

Some customers said they are now ordering cakes at the shop specifically because of the stance against gay marriage.

“We would close down that bakery before we closed our beliefs, so that may be what it comes to … we’ll see,” Phillips said.

A larger protest is scheduled to take place next Saturday.
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#2 Jul 30, 2012
Nacho Vato

Ada, OH

#3 Jul 30, 2012
You think that's bad. Just watch what happens when Walt is refused his pedobear birthday cake!

Kramers Attorney

Since: Apr 12

Hilliard, OH

#4 Jul 30, 2012
Nacho Vato wrote:
You think that's bad. Just watch what happens when Walt is refused his pedobear birthday cake!
http://renalfailure.files.wordpress.com/2012/...

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#6 Jul 31, 2012
Who else is up for chicken and a big slab of chocolate cake for lunch?
Britneys dad Chuckn

Valley City, OH

#8 Jul 31, 2012
He should have made the cake, collected his payment for the cake and just added a little something special to the batter for the husbands.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Albakoikee

#9 Jul 31, 2012
Spookhereskcusxipot wrote:
<quoted text>
And wash it down with a southern sweet tea. Had chic-fil-a at a conference they brought gallon jugs of tea. Did not tell any one that it needed diluted because it was just one teaspoon of sugar away from turning into syrup.
The best sweet tea I ever had, hands down, was at Mammy's Kitchen in Myrtle Beach. Best commercial tea is McDonalds. I don't eat anything from there, but stop off for tea a couple of times a week.
Britneys dad Chuckn

Valley City, OH

#12 Jul 31, 2012
<quoted text>
Like fresh made chocolate corn log?
I was thinking more like "homemade" butter creme, but either way. LOL !!

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#13 Jul 31, 2012
rowdy01 wrote:
Who else is up for chicken and a big slab of chocolate cake for lunch?
If we bring my son along, we can get a 10% discount at Chick-fil-A. Right up Bobby's alley...cheaper

Columbus, OH

#14 Jul 31, 2012
Kramers Attorney wrote:
Bobby's working two jobs I see; lawyer during the week, mascot on the weekends.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Albakoikee

#16 Jul 31, 2012
Walmart cakes are good enough for the illiterate, why not for gay couples?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_V4FIONduJfg/Rx_deu6...
Britneys dad Chuckn

Valley City, OH

#17 Jul 31, 2012
<quoted text>
A discount always makes it taste better.
I think they would like a little "man-ayse" with their cake.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#19 Jul 31, 2012
End of the day, I think that the baker was probably within his rights. I don't know if Colorado has any laws protecting the rights of gays to be served equally with others (most states don't). But, if it is true that he will make other kinds of cakes for gay customers--well, he could be within rights.

But, also within their rights are any customers who choose to no longer frequent the establishment.

Not so clear on Chick-fil-a. My own personal boycott amounts to nada, since I wasn't a customer anyway. But, I don't support the political causes that they support. I don't know the (legal)grounds on which two cities seem bent on keeping them out. If they have hiring practices in violation of city code, that would make sense. Again, as most states have few laws protecting gay rights (and particularly in the area of employment)--if those cities have ordinances and Chick-fil-a has hiring policies in violation, then they would seem to have little legal recourse.

If that is not the case--it would seem they have the right to open up despite any disagreement about their political donations.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#20 Jul 31, 2012
I know Colorado includes sexual orientation as a protected group. I have no idea if that includes access to services as well as the usual housing/employment/public services deal.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Albakoikee

#21 Jul 31, 2012
The baker has every right to determine which types of cakes he will make. He may not want to make peanut butter cookies. If he doesn't want to make a mickey mouse or monster truck cake OR a gay wedding cake, the courts can't force him to.

Kramers Attorney

Hilliard, OH

#23 Jul 31, 2012
tranpsosition wrote:
I know Colorado includes sexual orientation as a protected group. I have no idea if that includes access to services as well as the usual housing/employment/public services deal.
Doesn't matter. The owner said he would gladly make them any other kind of cake.
Simple solution for the phaggots...go elsewhere.

Kramers Attorney

Hilliard, OH

#24 Jul 31, 2012
rowdy01 wrote:
The baker has every right to determine which types of cakes he will make. He may not want to make peanut butter cookies. If he doesn't want to make a mickey mouse or monster truck cake OR a gay wedding cake, the courts can't force him to.
Let's see a Muslim bakery be faced with a request for a pig shaped bacon garnished cake.

Columbus, OH

#25 Jul 31, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
End of the day, I think that the baker was probably within his rights. I don't know if Colorado has any laws protecting the rights of gays to be served equally with others (most states don't). But, if it is true that he will make other kinds of cakes for gay customers--well, he could be within rights.
But, also within their rights are any customers who choose to no longer frequent the establishment.
Not so clear on Chick-fil-a. My own personal boycott amounts to nada, since I wasn't a customer anyway. But, I don't support the political causes that they support. I don't know the (legal)grounds on which two cities seem bent on keeping them out. If they have hiring practices in violation of city code, that would make sense. Again, as most states have few laws protecting gay rights (and particularly in the area of employment)--if those cities have ordinances and Chick-fil-a has hiring policies in violation, then they would seem to have little legal recourse.
If that is not the case--it would seem they have the right to open up despite any disagreement about their political donations.
Blah, Blah, Blah. I have read a Chick-fil-A application, read their employee handbook, son has worked there two plus years, etc. Stop speculating about their hiring practice. If you have a nose ring, you'll be asked to remove it during your shift. Guess what? That is the policy in any facility I have worked in; cover your tats, shower, wear deodorant, wear your uniform, etc. are not uncommon requests of an employee. No one wants to see all that crap nor a guy looking like a girl, girl looking like a guy when ordering a chicken sandwich.

You know I have no problem what anyone's sexual orientation may be, but for you to imply that Chick-fil-A may discriminate is laughable.

Stop bringing in ordering a #4 meal off the menu as leverage for gay rights; wish the politicians would do so also.

Columbus, OH

#26 Jul 31, 2012
Kramers Attorney wrote:
<quoted text>Let's see a Muslim bakery be faced with a request for a pig shaped bacon garnished cake.
Reader would be all over that. It's their business, be respectful of their rights.

Target thread anyone?

Columbus, OH

#27 Jul 31, 2012
hey now wrote:
<quoted text>At the beginning of everyday you're a filthy progressive who constantly sees a need for carve-out laws that pit one group against another...you suck sh^t.
Dam, agreed with you again.

I either need to shake my head or you're putting subliminal messages in your posts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canal Winchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White Nationalists losing faith in Trump 16 min Reality 85
Foretelling 1 hr Knucklehead 7
New DISPATCH Website 1 hr 404 not found 1
Obama's worst decision by far 2 hr Male 106
What Do You Think of Donald Trump Now? 2 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 305
Trump plans to Remove WH Press Corps, hide TRUTH 3 hr Male 170
Extra Ink Pens 4 hr Good Riddance Jac... 1

Canal Winchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance