First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Jan 11

Canajoharie, NY

#1 Jan 22, 2011
Why is it that the majority of people up here kiss the Amish people's asses? As a construction worker, I have to deal with being underbid by the Amish. Unlike them I have to pay taxes, electricity, telephone. It's funny how they don't have electric, but they use power tools at "The English's" house. If their crock of shit beliefs prevent them from having electric, then why not live totally by it?
Another thing, take a shower before walking into Price Chopper! The last thing I want to smell while shopping for food is underarms and cow shit! How many times I'm walking through the isles and there is clumps of cow shit on the floor. That is disgusting, never mind unhealthy. I don't want to hear anyone saying, well we live in a farming community. Does that mean we have to live like pigs? There are a lot of farmers that I know that shower before they go into a food store. I'm sure you all heard of E-coli? Yup, it lives in the intestines of cows. Well I don't want it!
They should also have to use drop buckets behind their horse drawn buggies like they do in PA. I am tired of getting wet horse shit all over my freshly washed car! Or when it rains and I run over it, then get out of my car and get it all over my pants. I do not own a horse and I don't want to smell like one!
old timer

Gloversville, NY

#2 Jan 22, 2011
The Amish do pay taxes! You don't have to pay for
electricity and telephone if you don't use them!
Sounds like the worst part is that you are getting
underbid. Live and let live.

Canajoharie, NY

#3 Jan 22, 2011
old timer, you must be one of the ass kissers I was talking about. What do you do for a living? For your information, the Amish do the majority of their work for cash. Do they have Social Security numbers? When they do their taxes at the end of the year do they have to pay into the Social Security and Medicare like we do? I think not! We DO NOT have a choice but to pay it. And if they do not believe in using electric, stop using power tools on the jobs. Cut plywood with a hand saw. So live and let live when it affects your work and income pal. They don't like us anyway. Even when they hired men to come and impregnate their woman because of all the inbreeding, they were disgusted by it. I don't know how the men actually were able stand the stink. But then again, they weren't getting any prizes showing up at their door. I mean you didn't have Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp showing up to breed with the Amish.
silis guy

Pulaski, NY

#4 Jan 22, 2011
SkullCollector wrote:
old timer, you must be one of the ass kissers I was talking about. What do you do for a living? For your information, the Amish do the majority of their work for cash. Do they have Social Security numbers? When they do their taxes at the end of the year do they have to pay into the Social Security and Medicare like we do? I think not! We DO NOT have a choice but to pay it. And if they do not believe in using electric, stop using power tools on the jobs. Cut plywood with a hand saw. So live and let live when it affects your work and income pal. They don't like us anyway. Even when they hired men to come and impregnate their woman because of all the inbreeding, they were disgusted by it. I don't know how the men actually were able stand the stink. But then again, they weren't getting any prizes showing up at their door. I mean you didn't have Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp showing up to breed with the Amish.
Very well said! Im sick of after i wash my car on a nice summer day, i come up the road, and splat.. Amish horse crap on my car! Again, the response from these ignorant a**holes is "well, its a farming community" , wtf, so does that mean i can go take a crap in the middle of the road?
tooperhat

Albany, NY

#5 Jan 22, 2011
The Amish should not have their buggies on the stretch of route 10 by stone arabia when the roads are bad they make it really dangerous for all of us on the roads including themselves. I also think it animnal abuse to make their horses pull them through blizzards and snow drifts, and then in the summer heat to beat them up and down hills till they are lame and lathered up, Why aren't their children in proper restraints etc.. Insurance--- Yes the Amish should have insurance because they do and will cause accidents. What about street signs how do they get away with disobeying common traffic laws for instance on my way to McDonalds in Palatine I took a left at the light to go up the one way road by Stewarts, who did I meet was an Amish buggy coming right towards my vehicle headed down the hill. There are 2 signs that say ONE WAY DO NOT ENTER. I know they do not have an education past eighth grade but they should be able to read street signs and understand them. Also stop means stop, a red light means stop not back up your buggy on top of the car behind you, green light means go, no turn on red MEANS NO TURN ON RED, slow moving vehicles should yield to the right allowing safe pass for other vehicles. having lights on a black buggy at night should be crucial especially on the back roads. I realize you have to transport your milk to milk houses but we have to transport milk too and we do not do it at night on back roads with no lights on our vehicles and if we did we would probably cause a wreck or be arrested. and your children they should be supervised by an adult while walking down a 55 mph highway, these kids are walking down the middle of the road and sticking their tongues out at cars and running in front of cars no common sense I swear. It's not the 15th Century anymore, its obvious its time to embrace change. Oh yeah and about the store, PLEASE DO NOT GO INTO PRICE CHOPPER WITH MUCH BOOTS ON. I realize you are hard workers, but you are risking our health. I would not like to contract ecoli from one of your sick cows
old timer

Gloversville, NY

#6 Jan 22, 2011
If the Amish don't pay into Social Security, then
they can't collect like you will be able to. Of
course, I went to college and got a good job so
I don't have to worry about the Amish underbidding
me. Maybe you're charging too much?
silis guy

Pulaski, NY

#7 Jan 22, 2011
old timer wrote:
oooh, you went to college, whopdeef***in doo! You want a medal? I am sure skullcollector charges fair rates, so thats not the problem, the problem is when someone underbids a take it in the a** price because they dont have to pay taxes, business insurance, workers comp, and all the other things our wonderful state and govt rape us of! Thats why the Amish CAN charge so low.. in turn, it screws the rest of us trying to do the right thing and go by the system. That's basic economics! You didnt learn that in college?? Maybe if you werent playing queer fraternity games and hugging tree's, you would have learned that! For a college educated person, your pretty dumb!

Canajoharie, NY

#8 Jan 22, 2011
Glad to hear you went to college and got yourself a job they can't touch, well at least for the moment. It's people like me that build your house, build the building that you work in, and the school your children attend. I also went to school for 4 years to become what I am. So now tell me something.. Did the Amish have to attend any type of school? I can answer that for you, NO. I have seen their work and it's fair at best. They are not the great carpenters people think they are.
After years of college, didn't you want to make a decent salary? Would you be satisfied for competing with $12.00 per hour? For me to compete with $12.00 per hour cash is kind of hard. As for paying into Social Security, I DO NOT have a choice, I have to pay whether I like it or not. If I choose not to pay into it, I go to jail. So now tell me again, where is it fair? It's always people that don't have to worry about illegals or Amish taking over their jobs that seem to speak the loudest.

Canajoharie, NY

#9 Jan 22, 2011
tooperhat wrote:
The Amish should not have their buggies on the stretch of route 10 by stone arabia when the roads are bad they make it really dangerous for all of us on the roads including themselves. I also think it animnal abuse to make their horses pull them through blizzards and snow drifts, and then in the summer heat to beat them up and down hills till they are lame and lathered up, Why aren't their children in proper restraints etc.. Insurance--- Yes the Amish should have insurance because they do and will cause accidents. What about street signs how do they get away with disobeying common traffic laws for instance on my way to McDonalds in Palatine I took a left at the light to go up the one way road by Stewarts, who did I meet was an Amish buggy coming right towards my vehicle headed down the hill. There are 2 signs that say ONE WAY DO NOT ENTER. I know they do not have an education past eighth grade but they should be able to read street signs and understand them. Also stop means stop, a red light means stop not back up your buggy on top of the car behind you, green light means go, no turn on red MEANS NO TURN ON RED, slow moving vehicles should yield to the right allowing safe pass for other vehicles. having lights on a black buggy at night should be crucial especially on the back roads. I realize you have to transport your milk to milk houses but we have to transport milk too and we do not do it at night on back roads with no lights on our vehicles and if we did we would probably cause a wreck or be arrested. and your children they should be supervised by an adult while walking down a 55 mph highway, these kids are walking down the middle of the road and sticking their tongues out at cars and running in front of cars no common sense I swear. It's not the 15th Century anymore, its obvious its time to embrace change. Oh yeah and about the store, PLEASE DO NOT GO INTO PRICE CHOPPER WITH MUCH BOOTS ON. I realize you are hard workers, but you are risking our health. I would not like to contract ecoli from one of your sick cows
Very intelligent and well written reply.
canjohere

Pulaski, NY

#10 Jan 22, 2011
old timer wrote:
Hey old timer, you sound as dumb as the ass of the Amish's horse that drops crap all over our high taxed roads. Why don't you gather up all the Amish as you're kissing their unwashed, sweaty a-holes and take them back to Pensylvania.
biker

Gloversville, NY

#11 Jan 23, 2011
it is sad that we can't get anyone to make regulations for horse and buggie use on our highways. it is a safety issue for sure. the horse droppings are dangerous for motorcycles and when they freeze in the winter it can damage a vehicle as well.and it is unsanitary (E_COLI) i also agree with the lighting. just last night a buggy was on the road around 6:00 - no lights and it almost hit me.they also need registration # on their wagons and buggies. us english have to PAY to use the roads( license, registrations, inspections, safe tires,insurance) which we also are fined, and ticketed for the violations. AND our studded tires have to be off the roads by april ist. THEIR steel wagon wheels and TRACTORS are destroying our roads, they were designed for the FIELDS only.how can a group of people buy up the land dirt cheap and just TAKE OVER!!! is it a cult? one amish elder stated and i quote" you people were here first and we need you more than you need us!" end quote. its time for us english to speak up. go to the county board of supervisor meetings , the town board and write to the govenor. write more letters to the editor in the recorder. maybe we can scare them to leave. By the Way Brian sweet is chairman of the public safety committee. get a group of people together , list it on facebook etc. and lets stand our ground. BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.
tooperhat

Albany, NY

#12 Jan 23, 2011
I guess we need to make our issues heard through the legislators if enough people came together and came up with some solid arguments they may be able to put laws on the table. I agree there needs to be something done. I guess this is a place to start.
I have no problems with the Amish other than traffic and safety laws. Some local farmers non Amish also go into Price Chopper and Stewart's I swear right after they get out of the barn. I wish these people would have a little common sense. No wonder why there is so much sickness and food contamination.
I do not like to travel the back roads at night but sometimes I have no choice I have to get to and from work and that unfortunately is the only way to get there, I hold my breath around every corner hoping I do not run into a Amish Buggy that is not lit, even during the day it can be scary you come up on a buggy, you have to slow down on a corner usually then you have to hope no-one else comes around that corner and rear ends you while you are waiting to safely get around the buggy with out hitting someone head on. Changes everything we learned when we got out license, I would love to see some laws changed and am on board with whatever we need to change them
old timer

Gloversville, NY

#13 Jan 23, 2011
"Canjohere", your command of the English language
is amazing! Where did you learn to speak so
with such flowery language. By the way, before
we send the Amish back, learn how to spell
"Pennsylvania".
P.S. Biker, how are you going to get "E. Coli"
from manure on the road? Are you licking the pave-
ment?If the Amish are buying up land "dirt cheap",
why wouldn't someone like you buy it instead of
them and then you could "take over"?
biker

Gloversville, NY

#14 Jan 23, 2011
hey old timer ever hear of not washing your hands before shopping in the store? thats where e coli comes from the amish are not noted for being clean.
billp

Albany, NY

#15 Jan 23, 2011
funny thing is seeing the amish was one of the things that made me want to move here.
and the amish pay income tax and property tax.
the do not collect or use ss. and you will never find the amish in fonda wanting welfare.
unlike us so called English they take care of their own. and in a time of need they will help a neighbor, with out wanting something back.
i would rather see the amish farming land than cookie cutter homes.
hell i wish i had what it takes to live with out every thing. the modern world gives us that we don't think about twice. till the cable or power goes out for even 10 minutes, the bulk of us panic.
i am also glad that i am not closed mind person.

afraid of some one differnt in faith life style
like the amish i will low ball a bid to get a job you also want. dose that make me a bad person or some one trying to pay bills and live
tooperhat

Albany, NY

#16 Jan 23, 2011
billp wrote:
funny thing is seeing the amish was one of the things that made me want to move here.
the do not collect or use ss. and you will never find the amish in fonda wanting welfare.
unlike us so called English they take care of their own. and in a time of need they will help a neighbor, with out wanting something back.
hell i wish i had what it takes to live with out every thing. the modern world gives us that we don't think about twice. till the cable or power goes out for even 10 minutes, the bulk of us panic.
like the amish i will low ball a bid to get a job you also want. dose that make me a bad person or some one trying to pay bills and live
The Amish culture and way of life has remained relatively unchanged since the 1500's. The world around the Amish culture has changed a lot since the 1500's. I am not saying the Amish are bad people or their religion is bad, I can't say that. I can say they put themselves and others at risk when they are out on our highways, If they used proper lighting and common sense when it comes to travel we all could be safer. Motor vehicles and their drivers also put the Amish at risk, and should learn to slow down in known Amish communities. The problem I see is visitors or tourists that do not know this area could be traveling down a 55 mph highway on a dark night, and end up in the back end of an Amish buggy hurting themselves, the Amish, the horse etc.. The same thing for honey wagons on 5s the farmers choose to go out onto a busy highway at the break of dawn before its fully light out with their wagon covered in poo, which is covering their lights and their slow moving vehicle sign. I guess I could stop driving and I would have nothing to complain about, but I need to go to work so I can pay my bills and feed my kids. The same thing the Amish do, just differently. Who cares who believes what, the safety of everyone on the road is the issue. Its not about religion, welfare, social security, taxes it's all about SAFETY on our highways. We all should abide by the same rules.

Canajoharie, NY

#17 Jan 23, 2011
billp wrote:
Ok, you are most likely one of the breeders I was talking about. Either that or you are a welfare recipient. Here's how I come to that conclusion. IF (and notice I say IF) you had a job, can you tell your employer that you DO NOT want to pay into Social Security, because you want to do your own investment for retirement? Let me answer the question for you. NO YOU CAN'T! I don't care about their religion, or even the way they live, but you want to be primitive, then live like a caveman and grow what you eat! Stay out of our stores! And for @#$& sake, leave our jobs alone!
Ok, now you can go back to sticking your head up the Amish @ss!!

Canajoharie, NY

#18 Jan 23, 2011
old timer wrote:
"Canjohere", your command of the English language
is amazing! Where did you learn to speak so
with such flowery language. By the way, before
we send the Amish back, learn how to spell
"Pennsylvania".
P.S. Biker, how are you going to get "E. Coli"
from manure on the road? Are you licking the pave-
ment?If the Amish are buying up land "dirt cheap",
why wouldn't someone like you buy it instead of
them and then you could "take over"?
I thought you went to college? Apparently "Biker" I would assume is well, a biker, and if he is riding down the road and a car in front of him rolls over wet horse sh*t and splashes in his face, what do you think can happen? That's right, E-coli!!! Not to mention a ruined day of smelling like an Amish. So I think you need to go back to school and learn to think before you speak. Ignorants seems to run rampid on this forum. Geeeeeez
old timer

Gloversville, NY

#19 Jan 23, 2011
Biker, I read three to four newspapers a day and
I haven't read about anyone getting E. Coli from
shopping in any local markets. Have you? I see
more manure on the roads from farmers and their
manure spreaders than the Amish ever thought of
dropping on the roads.Every case of E. Coli I
have heard about was caused by food already
contaminated when it arrived at the market or
by contaminated water running into wells.
Jerimiah Bullfrog

Albany, NY

#20 Jan 23, 2011
The Amish are self-sufficient. How many of us (including myself) can say that? Not many.

When the world turns upside down, as I predict it soon will, the Amish will be able to weather the storm. They have the knowledge, the work ethic, and the community needed to get through what is coming down the pike.

They can grow their own food. This is more important that anything.

They aren't reliant on energy such as electricity or petroleum products. When gas prices get to be $5 a gallon, most of you sitting there criticizing the Amish buggies are going to wish you had a cheap and reliable form of transportation. You'll probably be begging the Amish for a ride (or for food, for that matter!). They don't need electricity to keep their food, they don't need generators to provide them heat. This will be an important "skill" if/when the electrical grid is ever compromised for any length of time (which is a distinct possibility if there becomes a state of civil unrest due to economic conditions or food supply disruptions)

They keep to themselves. They really don't give a rat's ass what you or anyone thinks of them. And, I'll bet, when the chips are down, they will still be willing to help out a neighbor who has been kind to them.

No, you people who are discounting the Amish better think twice and put your negative energy elsewhere. I suggest that you start to read the news and prepare for hard times ahead. You might want to study how the Amish live. It may be helpful for what is to come.

Just sayin....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canajoharie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Audit hits Minden over tax allocation 2 hr How could you 11
Nelliston crack house 8 hr Gert 5
Cody Mosher 12 hr ANM 12
Yager steals money from Ft.Plain Canjo ELKS Mon whatcanyousay 9
Nelliston Days Car Show 2015 Mon Marie A 1
Salons in Canjo Ft. Plain and Palatine (Nov '14) Jun 30 Cutityourself 10
Fort Plain FPCS School's Rating Jun 28 FP Parent 7
More from around the web

Canajoharie People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE