old campton elementary built by the w...
betty jean jessup

Humboldt, Canada

#21 May 13, 2012
My dad,Darley Spencer, helped to build this school.
irvine

Irvine, KY

#22 May 18, 2012
rembering teachers wrote:
If you are talking about Martha Banks, she is still alive and doing well. I see her quiet often. If you are talking about Sally Graham, I miss her. She died a long time ago. I just love the way she would hit that paddle against her desk and tell us she was going to make a hole through "yonder" wall. Another of her favorite expressions was "I swear to my swanny" whatever that meant.LOL Both teachers started teaching in one room school houses around the Bethany area.
THe Bradley men are still around wolfe county. Mr. Glen was my fifth grade math teacher and he actually scared me a little, but it was fine as I did learn my fractions...LOL
I have some great memories of that place.
these were my teachers too. bet we when to scool together,i love those bradley men but they would let u have if u needed it.
remembering teachers

West Liberty, KY

#23 May 19, 2012
WCHS class of 83.
former student

Chesterfield, MO

#24 May 20, 2012
irvine wrote:
<quoted text> these were my teachers too. bet we when to scool together,i love those bradley men but they would let u have if u needed it.
I never did know Charles, but Glenn was an excellent teacher. I'm glad to have been in his class.
awesome lad

United States

#25 May 21, 2012
I went to school in that building from the 7th-10th
grades, then the new high school was built. I have
never heard the haunted story until today. Those old buildings built by the WPA have a lot of class.
I would hate to see it torn down, always thought
it would be a good central office location. Maybe
Family resource, centers etc.
me too

Campton, KY

#26 May 21, 2012
awesome lad wrote:
I went to school in that building from the 7th-10th
grades, then the new high school was built. I have
never heard the haunted story until today. Those old buildings built by the WPA have a lot of class.
I would hate to see it torn down, always thought
it would be a good central office location. Maybe
Family resource, centers etc.
I always thought that the central office should have been moved there and a new school built long before it was built. I thought that back when they bought the building that now houses the central office.
But I think now that someone needs to see about getting some money and fixing the old building up to be a community center. A place that colleges can come and have classes as well as house the Adult education program. I think the old outbuildings might be in to bad a shape to fix and they could be torn down. If not, then they could be converted into some kind of daycare program for the working people. We have the headstart program for those that are at risk or low income. We need something similiar for those that work and fall between the cracks.
RHL

West Liberty, KY

#27 May 21, 2012
There are plans underway to turn the old school into apartments for seniors.
It will be placed on the Registry of Historic Places and will qualify for tax credits, federal grant monies, and private investors.
The integrity of the building will be maintained - i.e. the hardwood floors and bannisters, the doors and trim will be renovated, not replaced.
The gymnasium and stage will be renovated to look like it did when it was new. It will be used for community activities.
There will be between 20-24 apartments - one and two bedroom. It will be landscaped. There will be elevators installed.
Check out AU Associates in Lexington - they are going to be doing all the renovations. They will lease the building from the county for 40 years and the cost to the county will be zero.
When you go to their website, check out all the old schools that they have renovated - they are absolutely beautiful. Great way to retain the building at no cost to the taxpayers!
as good as that is

Campton, KY

#28 May 21, 2012
As good as that is, I think the idea of a community center that can bring college classes here to our community would be a better use of the building. We already have enough low income housing with both housing projects and KRCC two apartment complexes.
RHL

West Liberty, KY

#29 May 21, 2012
The cost of renovating the building and bringing it up to code would cost several million dollars - where do you think this money is going to come from??
There are college classes available at Jackson and West Liberty, with plans underway for a community college in Stanton - all of these are close enough for our residents to attend.
These apartments are nothing like the KRCC or housing projects currently here.
There was a public meeting last week to discuss this at length. If you are opposed to the project, you should have attended and voiced your opinion.
as good it is

Campton, KY

#30 May 22, 2012
RHL wrote:
The cost of renovating the building and bringing it up to code would cost several million dollars - where do you think this money is going to come from??
There are college classes available at Jackson and West Liberty, with plans underway for a community college in Stanton - all of these are close enough for our residents to attend.
These apartments are nothing like the KRCC or housing projects currently here.
There was a public meeting last week to discuss this at length. If you are opposed to the project, you should have attended and voiced your opinion.
I get the paper every week and read it. There was nothing in the paper about this meeting. As far as the cost, it will cost even more to make these apartments. Where is that money coming from? West Liberty, Jackson and Stanton are thirty minutes away for most people. That is closer than Morehead or Richmond but still....
We need the community center worse than we need more apartments. We need places and things for people to do in campton. The community center would give them that. There would be enough room to even have a fitness center like Beattyville has.
I have been polite about my opinions until now. You need an attitude adjustment.
By the way, whose pocket will be lined with these apartments?
RHL

West Liberty, KY

#31 May 22, 2012
With all due respect, there was an informational article in the Friday, May 11 issue of the Wolfe County newspaper. It was on the front page - date, time, and who would be there to discuss the plans for the building.
There was also a large editorial in the same issue written by Wendell Alexander - he was opposing the proposal. If you do not have that issue, back issues are available at the newspaper office.
The money for these apartments in coming from tax credits that banks purchase, from private investors, and from private capital.
If you had attended the meeting, you would have learned all this.
Of course, we need a community center - we need many things, but reality sets in when there is no money for these projects. We have spent $200,000 of taxpayer money to Summit Engineering to come up with plans for using the building only to find that it is going to cost approximately $6.7 million to accomplish this. There is no funds available - none.
I certainly did not mean to rude or offend anyone - I just have a problem with people voicing opinions on anonymous forums, but will not attend a meeting and voice them in public.
The pockets that will be lined will be those individuals, banks, corporations that invest money - the ones that take the risk.
RHL

West Liberty, KY

#32 May 22, 2012
Sorry - after looking at the newspaper again - the editorial was written by Wendell Denniston - not Alexander. I don't know him, but I believe that he ran for County Judge Executive at one time.
as good it is

Campton, KY

#33 May 22, 2012
I saw that little article that Wendell Denniston wrote. I missed it the first time. SImply because I don't take him serious. Not only that the article title did not have anything in it to suggest that it was about the old school. If it did I would have read it. The article also didn't give the time,date or place that the meeting would take place. There wasn't anything in the paper announcing the meeting.
Truthfully, I probably wouldn't have attended. I just get upset when someone voices thier opinion in a polite way and then someone gets on here and gets all nasty about what they said. I don't post my real name simply because want people to harrass me for my opinion.
I still stand by my comment though about pockets being lined with this project.
If places such as Beattyville and Booneville can get grants for community center type facilities why can't Campton. The PEP coalation started out with a grant and is now self sufficent. Booneville got a grant a few years ago for a community center facility. It doesn't make sense to me why the mayor, council members, Judge executive, and other politicians don't want this. Makes one wonder what they are doing that they want to keep hid.
RHL

West Liberty, KY

#34 May 22, 2012
I think you misunderstood - the article about the meeting was on the front page. The article by Mr. Denniston was on the inside. It was two different articles.
You are absolutely incorrect - it was on the front page. The simple fact that you didn't see it doesn't negate the fact that it was there. Geez!!
Why does everything have to funded by grants - why can we not do something for ourselves?? Grant money is not limitless.
I certainly am sorry that you feel that everyone has an ulterior motive - I have no idea if that is true or not - really doesn't matter - not going to change the facts.
The simple fact is the money isn't there - isn't going to happen - period.
If you think there is grant money available for a community center, why don't you research it, apply, and do something instead of criticizing everyone else. Not everyone is capable of writing grants - maybe you have a talent for that.
no clue

Atlanta, GA

#35 May 23, 2012
I have been following this as I have family from that area. RHL you have no clue how things are done in the hills of kentucky do you?
It is safe to say someone is getting rich off this and it isn't the county.
The so called wealthy, Mays, Brewer, Campbell, Oliver, Rose and Creech families don't want to see change come. They and thier descendants would have to give up the power and prestige they think they have. Something that means more to them than what is for the best of the community.
Friend of the Shepherd

Campton, KY

#36 Apr 19, 2013
Oh remember those huge steps leading up the hill to this school. once inside it was so cold in some of the rooms. The smell of food coming from the kitchen Yum, would make me so hungry I could hardly stand it. the excitement of moving up to another floor with the passing of grades. Wow finally you make it all the way to the top,and you feel you have made it. I have a lot of very fond memories there. My grandfather also helped to build this place. those were good days when children were children and teachers could teach. Remember the rulers and palms of your hands OUCH! Well some days were better than others.
yeah

Montréal, Canada

#37 Apr 19, 2013
Friend of the Shepherd wrote:
Oh remember those huge steps leading up the hill to this school. once inside it was so cold in some of the rooms. The smell of food coming from the kitchen Yum, would make me so hungry I could hardly stand it. the excitement of moving up to another floor with the passing of grades. Wow finally you make it all the way to the top,and you feel you have made it. I have a lot of very fond memories there. My grandfather also helped to build this place. those were good days when children were children and teachers could teach. Remember the rulers and palms of your hands OUCH! Well some days were better than others.
Yeah I remember those days. Like you said when you reached third floor you thought you where hot stuff. LOL
I like a lot of other people think a better use for the building would be as a community center and day care facilities for those that work. That some college classes need to be brought there. Like was stated before, there are all kinds of grants to get these things if people would get off their butts and get them. It has been years since I lived in the area but I have been told things haven't changed over the years about power players. Just the next generation.
observer

West Liberty, KY

#38 Apr 19, 2013
yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I remember those days. Like you said when you reached third floor you thought you where hot stuff. LOL
I like a lot of other people think a better use for the building would be as a community center and day care facilities for those that work. That some college classes need to be brought there. Like was stated before, there are all kinds of grants to get these things if people would get off their butts and get them. It has been years since I lived in the area but I have been told things haven't changed over the years about power players. Just the next generation.
Not sure where you get your information, but there are no grants available for renovating these old WPA buildings. Federal and state grant funding has been cut drastically. They are having trouble getting it on the historic registry. The only funding available is private investments and banks who invest for tax credits.
The company that is attempting to get this done knows a lot more about these buildings and funding than you or anyone in Wolfe County.
Just the mere fact that you want it to happen isn't going to make it so.
Wolfe County has changed a great deal. The Fiscal Court is working together to get things accomplished. A great deal of improvements have been made.
I am sure that there are a lot of people, including me, that would like to see some other things done to this building, but it is not going to happen because Wolfe County does not have the funding.
There will be a community center preserved in the old gym.
I am not sure that we need a place for college classes - we have those in West Liberty and Jackson. There is a community-type college coming to Stanton, through a partnership with Wolfe County.
People are working diligently in Wolfe County to make improvements and to imply that they are lazy is such a stupid statement coming from someone who doesn't live here and is only hearing what they want to hear.
If you cannot help or say something positive, why not find something else to do and talk about. Just a thought.
everyone

Montréal, Canada

#39 Apr 19, 2013
observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure where you get your information, but there are no grants available for renovating these old WPA buildings. Federal and state grant funding has been cut drastically. They are having trouble getting it on the historic registry. The only funding available is private investments and banks who invest for tax credits.
The company that is attempting to get this done knows a lot more about these buildings and funding than you or anyone in Wolfe County.
Just the mere fact that you want it to happen isn't going to make it so.
Wolfe County has changed a great deal. The Fiscal Court is working together to get things accomplished. A great deal of improvements have been made.
I am sure that there are a lot of people, including me, that would like to see some other things done to this building, but it is not going to happen because Wolfe County does not have the funding.
There will be a community center preserved in the old gym.
I am not sure that we need a place for college classes - we have those in West Liberty and Jackson. There is a community-type college coming to Stanton, through a partnership with Wolfe County.
People are working diligently in Wolfe County to make improvements and to imply that they are lazy is such a stupid statement coming from someone who doesn't live here and is only hearing what they want to hear.
If you cannot help or say something positive, why not find something else to do and talk about. Just a thought.
Everyone knows who wrote this. You and your husband have your noses so far up everyone butts it isn't even funny. You left and then came back. You are so stuck up that you can't even talk to your family unless you think it will help make you look better.
I come back from time to time and no things really haven't changed since I was raised here 40 plus years. Just some of the power players. And even those really haven't changed. It is still a good ole boys club.
Old CES could be put on the historical register if they so wanted it. Same with Rose's old building and both should. Yes, there are grants out there to rehab buildings if you look. If there wasn't then how come so many other cities find them?
I love Wolfe County and would have stayed if I could have found a decent job that would have supported me and my family. But I didn't have a choice. Same with all my siblings and even my parents. They decided to leave to find a better location for their retirement years.
observer

West Liberty, KY

#40 Apr 19, 2013
So amusing - you have no idea who wrote this. I have no idea who you think wrote it, but I would bet what little I have that you are clueless. But, it does sound like you don't like this person. Since I am a man, I don't have a husband. Actually, don't have a wife, either.
And, actually don't life in Wolfe County and haven't for a couple of years. Visit very often and am very proud of my old home community. I have contacts and I also visit enough to know what is going on. I supppose I just choose to be a little more optimistic and less critical of everyone that I don't agree with.
I love reading these posts. So many people think they know who is writing all these things. I don't claim to know, but love speculating.
I do love Wolfe County and I like most of my relatives, not all, but most. I would love to be able to live there when I get older and I would also love to be able to to help in some way.
If you don't live in Wolfe County, why don't you try to give back a little to the place that you once called home? Why don't you help find the grants. This is your hometown, also.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Campton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
fugative 45 min neighbors concerned 1
Local Politics 12 hr Litmus 3
Class of 1983 12 hr Proud 2
M. Peyton 18 hr blue light special 2
nick 19 hr milkduds 1
Mobile welding 21 hr Just wondering 2
Campton Sheriff 1978 (Mar '09) Fri Brown eyes 75

Campton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Campton Mortgages