Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Mar 23, 2013
educated

United States

#1 Mar 18, 2013
Can anyone tell me why our kids come home from school without text books.
Are they to understand and retain all the class material covered each day and have no way for parents to review or help at home.?
(Rogers Elementary)
LHelton

Germantown, OH

#2 Mar 18, 2013
You could contact the school's office or teachers to find out. There may be a good reason? Or not? When I taught school, and depending on the subject, I might have 6 or 7 class periods, but only enough textbooks for one class set. So, to let any books go home and possibly not be returned would've been detrimental to my daily lessons. Then there are other teachers who don't allow their students to take books home, because too often books are left at home, whereas they are needed for classwork the next day. Let us know if you find out.
parent

West Liberty, KY

#3 Mar 18, 2013
educated wrote:
Can anyone tell me why our kids come home from school without text books.
Are they to understand and retain all the class material covered each day and have no way for parents to review or help at home.?
(Rogers Elementary)
You can probably buy the textbooks your child uses at school on eBay or amazon.com .
also a parent

West Liberty, KY

#4 Mar 18, 2013
I was told by my child there is not enough books to let them bring them home such a shame our tax dollars hard at work. How are they suppose to really learn the material the notes are sometimes non explanatory..and I hate the comment no child left behind because not all children learn at the same level and needs to go over the lesson a few times to comprehend or retain the knowledge and no that doesn't mean they need special ed just incase someone suggest that!!!
educated

United States

#5 Mar 19, 2013
also a parent wrote:
I was told by my child there is not enough books to let them bring them home such a shame our tax dollars hard at work. How are they suppose to really learn the material the notes are sometimes non explanatory..and I hate the comment no child left behind because not all children learn at the same level and needs to go over the lesson a few times to comprehend or retain the knowledge and no that doesn't mean they need special ed just incase someone suggest that!!!
. l was told the same thing.
Since when do children have the mental capacity to retain all their class lessons and not have the opportunity to review and study at home.
How are parents to install good study habits when their child states they have no homework and you want them to hit the books. The upside. Is when my child goes to college I will not have to buy textbooks .she was taught to excell without them in Wolfe County.
educated

United States

#6 Mar 19, 2013
STUDY HABITS
Teach them ,instill them
also a parent

Campton, KY

#7 Mar 19, 2013
educated wrote:
<quoted text>. l was told the same thing.
Since when do children have the mental capacity to retain all their class lessons and not have the opportunity to review and study at home.
How are parents to install good study habits when their child states they have no homework and you want them to hit the books. The upside. Is when my child goes to college I will not have to buy textbooks .she was taught to excell without them in Wolfe County.
Agree there..and just because some of these teachers have a dgree doesn't mean they can teach and lead..a few of them couldn't lead a horse to water if you know what I mean!
Be Responsible

West Liberty, KY

#8 Mar 19, 2013
If you want your child to have a book at home, buy it for you and them. If you say you cannot afford it take notice; does your child possess a cell phone? I-pod? I-pad? etc? Decide what your priorties are..
give it time

Campton, KY

#9 Mar 21, 2013
Well it's not the fact if can afford it, I pay school taxes that should be able to get my child whatever it needs I shouldn't have to be putting more money in to the school system. When I went to school we where taught responsibilities of taking that book home and taking care of it and bringing it back, there was enough for every kid. You don't have to replace them every year so its not costing tax money every year. If a kid's loses it or messes it up they had to pay the school to buy a new one. So what is the problem now, they don't want to take the time to do all that now. School is sooo much different now then what it was like back then. I think we actually learned more back then, than what our kids does now. That no child left behind crap has left a lot of kids behind because they force the teacher to not care about the childrens education just cram all this stuff in there head pass them on and there u go they are left behind.
Citizen

West Liberty, KY

#10 Mar 22, 2013
First off Rogers Elementary must be doing something right because they were one of the only elementary schools in our area to be considered a proficient school. Second off I would almost guarantee most books that get sent home do not get returned, and yes they could make them pay for them but what if the parents decide not to, what should the school do then? Should they take the matter to court and pay for court costs? That does not seem financially feasible, nor warranted. I highly doubt that a student who has homework in a subject area that requires a book would not be allowed to bring that book home.
Teacher

Wheelwright, KY

#11 Mar 23, 2013
The sad fact is the state used to provide money for text books each year and the schools could rotate which textbook they adopted each year. The state cut those mOnies several years ago and schools have no money to buy books. Contact your state representative. Also, technology is taking the place of the textbook. When I went to school, parents complained because school children didn't have to do choirs such as shoveling coal to keep school warm. Well, we had heating systems because time advances how we live. Now, with all the technology, textbooks are no longer needed. Parents could google any skill they are trying to teach their children at home and easily access what they need.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Campton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 10 min Limbertwig 151,301
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 26 min tired of it 1,596
Jessika Kelly 4 hr Wolf pack 1
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 7 hr Tollesboro Guy 81,601
Lol at courtney king 18 hr true true 4
Boys or so called men hitting women Sat mkkk 17
kimberly hollon Fri had it 2
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Wolfe County was issued at August 31 at 4:13AM EDT

•••
•••
Campton Dating

more search filters