The Irony at Gay Pride
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#1 Jun 18, 2011
I've attended my share of Louisville's Gay Pride Festivals over the past 20 years, and this year was the first time in a many years that I recall seeing a street preacher ranting on his soapbox. There were also various people making their way through the crowd to hand out religious tracts that pronounced homosexuality to be a sin. No one took a tract or even acknowledged that the preacher was there. However, the real irony of the situation is that the parade was dominated by church groups marching in acceptance and celebration of the gay lifestyle. The church organizations were a diverse group of presbytarians, baptists, Metropolitan Community Churches, Unitarian Universalists, Buddhists, a number of nondenominational churches and a Jewish group. And those were just the ones I recall taking note of. One of my friends even joked that, a few years from now, Louisville's Pride Parade will consist of nothing but church groups.

I wonder what the naysayer and his tract buddies thought about all the support from local churches? I noticed that he shut down his sermon as soon as the parade started and was no where to be seen afterwards.
crime and punishment

Lexington, KY

#2 Jun 18, 2011
Spillway Fan wrote:
I've attended my share of Louisville's Gay Pride Festivals over the past 20 years, and this year was the first time in a many years that I recall seeing a street preacher ranting on his soapbox. There were also various people making their way through the crowd to hand out religious tracts that pronounced homosexuality to be a sin. No one took a tract or even acknowledged that the preacher was there. However, the real irony of the situation is that the parade was dominated by church groups marching in acceptance and celebration of the gay lifestyle. The church organizations were a diverse group of presbytarians, baptists, Metropolitan Community Churches, Unitarian Universalists, Buddhists, a number of nondenominational churches and a Jewish group. And those were just the ones I recall taking note of. One of my friends even joked that, a few years from now, Louisville's Pride Parade will consist of nothing but church groups.
I wonder what the naysayer and his tract buddies thought about all the support from local churches? I noticed that he shut down his sermon as soon as the parade started and was no where to be seen afterwards.
You have been reported

Location hidden

#3 Jun 18, 2011
crime and punishment wrote:
<quoted text>You have been reported
Reported for what? Expressing an opinion? Oh wait, I forgot...if my opinion isn't racist or homphobic, then I'll be reported for being a progressive liberal. I forgot that you guys have nothing better to do than to act as the thought police on Topix.
straight

Alton, IL

#4 Jun 18, 2011
Spillway Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Reported for what? Expressing an opinion? Oh wait, I forgot...if my opinion isn't racist or homphobic, then I'll be reported for being a progressive liberal. I forgot that you guys have nothing better to do than to act as the thought police on Topix.
You are on report for being anti homphobic.
LMS

Lexington, KY

#5 Jun 18, 2011
I like when people copy me. Gay pride is the first one to use this forum for a good cause, I would not have reported, was a good read. Thanks.

Location hidden

#6 Jun 18, 2011
LMS wrote:
I like when people copy me. Gay pride is the first one to use this forum for a good cause, I would not have reported, was a good read. Thanks.
Thanks for your support, LMS. It seems you have a following of people who want to imitate you. You must be doing something right.
LMS

Lexington, KY

#7 Jun 18, 2011
I have stepped on a few toes. Trying to keep the trash off this forum.
I have read you before and you are calm, rational and I enjoy the discusions when kept that way.
Seems most are on here for the trash tho. Will do my best for awhile.
Rubber Duck

Lexington, KY

#8 Jun 18, 2011
LMS wrote:
I have stepped on a few toes. Trying to keep the trash off this forum.
I have read you before and you are calm, rational and I enjoy the discusions when kept that way.
Seems most are on here for the trash tho. Will do my best for awhile.
Yeah Rubber Duck this is Sod Buster
C'mon there yeah Ten-Four Sod Buster
Listen you wanna put that microbus in behind that suicide jockey?
Yeah he's haulin dynamite and he needs all the help he can get
butler bob

Danville, KY

#9 Jun 18, 2011
Spillway Fan wrote:
Great! Maybe they can march in favor of bestiality next.
LMS

Elizabethtown, KY

#10 Jun 19, 2011
March on.

Location hidden

#11 Jun 20, 2011
butler bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Great! Maybe they can march in favor of bestiality next.
Why do certain people always have to post this nonsensical, slippery-slope argument everytime someone mentions gay civil rights? Do these people have such a low opinion of the human race that they think everyone is on the verge of bestiality, incest and pedophilia? How do they equate a relationship between two mutually consenting adults with abuse of someone or some thing that is unable to consent?

There is no rational basis for or logic behind this argument. The gay and straight people I know, regardless of their ideologies, are basically good people who would never intentionally harm another person, and I can't imagine an America that would support and condone abuse.
Idiots

Elizabethtown, KY

#12 Jun 20, 2011
Spillway Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not allowed to have an opinion different from the masses, didn't you know this? Small town, small minds. Kentucky will never change.
Take a stand

Mammoth Cave, KY

#13 Jun 20, 2011
God's word will also never change. I am thankful for those who stand for what the Bible tells us is true. Read it and ask for help in understanding it Just because you are from a small town doesn't mean you have a small mind. Some of the smartest people I've ever met are from small towns. Homosexuality is wrong but so are many other sins. Some people go about speaking against it in the wrong way. This turns people off. Read the Bible and you will get the perfect answer.

Location hidden

#15 Jun 20, 2011
Idiots wrote:
<quoted text>You're not allowed to have an opinion different from the masses, didn't you know this? Small town, small minds. Kentucky will never change.
oh so true

Location hidden

#16 Jun 20, 2011
Take a stand wrote:
God's word will also never change. I am thankful for those who stand for what the Bible tells us is true. Read it and ask for help in understanding it Just because you are from a small town doesn't mean you have a small mind. Some of the smartest people I've ever met are from small towns. Homosexuality is wrong but so are many other sins. Some people go about speaking against it in the wrong way. This turns people off. Read the Bible and you will get the perfect answer.
I've read the bible many times over and still don't get that homosexuality it wrong, and one will never get "the perfect answer" from a book that upholds sexism and slavery.
gay and proud in TC

Elizabethtown, KY

#17 Jun 20, 2011
you closeminded people just need to get over it already, its 2011 were not in the 1930's anymore. Were all human beings and everyone is different. Remember God loves all, were all his children gay, straight,bi, transexual, black, white, hispanic it doesnt matter.

“The Australian Jesus”

Since: Oct 10

Heaven on a Stick

#18 Jun 20, 2011
Kudos to the rainbow of choices...keep posting...the dills will get the message one day.
Take a stand

Mammoth Cave, KY

#19 Jun 21, 2011
God does love all but if we willfully sin we will answer for those sins. You can do anything you want-no one denies that. However homosexuality is wrong. Again so are many sins. God and sin cannot coexist.

“The Australian Jesus”

Since: Oct 10

Heaven on a Stick

#20 Jun 21, 2011
Don't you hate it when church thumpers highjack your thread?

Can't just read the crys of separate ideas but they feel the calling to share the thought "Where you went wrong." with you.
Huh

Mammoth Cave, KY

#21 Jun 21, 2011
Why are Christians Bible thumpers? What may I ask are your type listed as?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Campbellsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 41 min CriminalForever 153,607
Mudpack Monday 1 hr Chief Thompson 2
AngieAkin Huddle House saga continues 1 hr Paleontologist 18
radio (Aug '07) 5 hr conrad 5
Richi and Amy taylor 6 hr yes 2
morgan milby 6 hr oops 7
Overdose 6 hr DealersWillPay 18

Campbellsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Campbellsville Mortgages