Taylor County hold backs
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wondering

Elizabethtown, KY

#1 Dec 7, 2012
Why would Ezra Oliver get held back? Greg is really trying to get him some looks huh? Ain't gonna work!! Q got held back n for what reason? TC you guys are pathetic if they are not good then it won't help, doing it for your own satisfaction not your kids is very selfish!!!
smh

Elizabethtown, KY

#2 Dec 8, 2012
I don't know why anyONE would want their kid to have stay in middle school or high school any longer than they had to. I think it would be miserable on the kid.
DUH

Tucker, GA

#3 Dec 16, 2012
Its so that they are bigger and stronger for sports. That is the only reason they are getting held back.
Artie

Means, KY

#4 Dec 16, 2012
Start your kid in the first grade as they are turning seven will solve the problem of holdbacks. Certainly helps the child in all aspects. Most elementary teachers will tell you the same thing. I started first grade at five and was a sixteen year old senior, not good. I am not just talking about sports, but as mentioned, all aspects.
correct info

Campbellsville, KY

#5 Dec 18, 2012
Don't just talk about TC, look at C-ville also it's just as bad or worse there. I agree with what "Artie" said about just starting your kids a year later. I would love to here the conversation when a parent is explaining to there (in a lot of cases an "A" student) child, they are going to hold them back in the 5-6-7 or 8th grade to help the "mature" more to be better ready for high school, while the whole time thinking they are raising the next Micheal Jordan, Nolan Ryan, or Bret Farve. The worst problem is the parents probably believe and have there kids believing that this will allow them to be a Division 1 college play and then a Pro!!!
College education fund = Hold the kid back a year, Great Plan!!!
Nope

Louisville, KY

#6 Dec 18, 2012
It has to do with them getting an EXTRA year of experience in middle school BEFORE high school eligibility rules kick in. Most people, if they think their kid has a real shot at playing college ball, consider holding the kid back a year because of that. It has NOTHING to do with their age as much as it does with just an extra year of experience.

And theoretically, you could save more in the college fund if you hold back a year too. I'm just sayin....
Mcgruff

Edwardsville, IL

#7 Dec 18, 2012
My mommy held me back 3 times and look at me. The smartest one on Topix. Just saying...
reality point

Greenbrier, AR

#8 Dec 18, 2012
If kids are doing this strictly for sports reasons in this area, then they're wasting their time. It takes a team to help a good basketball player become a college hopeful, which happens on rare occasions in this area.

Ball-hogging is not what coaches look at anymore. The assists leaders are more important than the shooters themselves. If a player wants to go far, he/she should network with other like-minded and interested players, and attend summer basketball camps as well as practicing and playing as much pick-up games as possible.

One great player can't go far when he/she plays on a team of "so-so" players.
Disagree

Louisville, KY

#9 Dec 20, 2012
reality point wrote:
If kids are doing this strictly for sports reasons in this area, then they're wasting their time. It takes a team to help a good basketball player become a college hopeful, which happens on rare occasions in this area.
Ball-hogging is not what coaches look at anymore. The assists leaders are more important than the shooters themselves. If a player wants to go far, he/she should network with other like-minded and interested players, and attend summer basketball camps as well as practicing and playing as much pick-up games as possible.
One great player can't go far when he/she plays on a team of "so-so" players.
If the one player is a "great player" yes, he or she can go far on a team of so-so players. College coaches, just like NBA scouts, look at potential of an individual player. A college coach who knows what he or she is looking for can tell you within the first couple of quarters if a player has potential to make it at the college level, whether it's small or big college. Most usually if a player is good enough he or she will attract attention of college coaches regardless of who the other players are.

You are right about networking, playing summer ball and so forth though as a lot of college coaches will do scouting over the summer at various camps and leagues.

And I can't recall a player that has been held back in the Cville system for sports in quite some time...
Cville

Elizabethtown, KY

#10 Dec 21, 2012
correct info wrote:
Don't just talk about TC, look at C-ville also it's just as bad or worse there. I agree with what "Artie" said about just starting your kids a year later. I would love to here the conversation when a parent is explaining to there (in a lot of cases an "A" student) child, they are going to hold them back in the 5-6-7 or 8th grade to help the "mature" more to be better ready for high school, while the whole time thinking they are raising the next Micheal Jordan, Nolan Ryan, or Bret Farve. The worst problem is the parents probably believe and have there kids believing that this will allow them to be a Division 1 college play and then a Pro!!!
College education fund = Hold the kid back a year, Great Plan!!!
who from cville is a hold back? Please tell me?
Holdbacks

United States

#11 Dec 21, 2012
Kearney (both)
Bottoms (both)
Levi Smith held bak there.
Only a few I can think of right now.
Both schools hold back kids at parents request. They both have about the same number of holdbacks. All of those mentioned were athletes.
Rick

Greensburg, KY

#12 Dec 21, 2012
Holdbacks wrote:
Kearney (both)
Bottoms (both)
Both schools hold back kids at parents request. They both have about the same number of holdbacks. All of those mentioned were athletes.
Isn't that another year of tax money spent on that child?
Artie

Means, KY

#13 Dec 21, 2012
Start your child in first grade at age seven, takes care of the problem. Child is better off and not just in sports.
correct info

Campbellsville, KY

#14 Dec 28, 2012
Cville wrote:
<quoted text>who from cville is a hold back? Please tell me?
I am not going to put young kids names on here but the list is probably longer than most of us would expect. My point from my original post was not to just talk about TC, its just as bad at C-ville. If you need to know who is held back at C-ville just ask around some of the parents, especially some 4th & 5th grade kids parents, just be careful you might embarrass someone!
Why

Elizabethtown, KY

#15 Dec 28, 2012
Why does it concern you about the decisions another family makes? I think this is irrelevant you everyone to everyone here.
check it out

Elizabethtown, KY

#16 Dec 28, 2012
Why wrote:
Why does it concern you about the decisions another family makes? I think this is irrelevant you everyone to everyone here.
As someone else said, our tax dollars are being spent on this. If a kid needs to be held back for learning is one thing, but other than that, the parents ought to foot the bill for a year.
Why

Elizabethtown, KY

#17 Dec 29, 2012
check it out wrote:
<quoted text>As someone else said, our tax dollars are being spent on this. If a kid needs to be held back for learning is one thing, but other than that, the parents ought to foot the bill for a year.
So calling those kids out on topix is going to help something? If you are concerned about it take it up with the school board.
What

Elizabethtown, KY

#18 Dec 29, 2012
What set of Kearney's are you referring to?
Holdbacks wrote:
Kearney (both)
Bottoms (both)
5 peat baby

Hodgenville, KY

#19 Dec 29, 2012
What wrote:
What set of Kearney's are you referring to?
<quoted text>
Obviously not Ryan and Brett. Neither one of them got held back.
None ya

Hodgenville, KY

#20 Dec 29, 2012
Maybe if girl players from Taylor County got held back they would have a decent team. Can't win when your game plan is to let one person score.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Campbellsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone know Cynthia summers 41 min Wilberts plastics 3
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 48 min whome 165,569
WERE my bros at 1 hr Old school 3
panhandling BOB 4 hr casey N charrie 1
Sienna 7 hr Curious 4
Michael west 8 hr NoBro 3
SeahagSunday 15 hr Insane Leon 1

Campbellsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Campbellsville Mortgages