Who Should Get Custody Of A Child; Mo...

Who Should Get Custody Of A Child; Mom or Dad?

Created by Billy The Kid on Jan 10, 2008

635 votes

Click on an option to vote

dad

Mom

how

AOL

#24 May 12, 2008
how can a father get custody?
DTC

Elizabethtown, KY

#25 May 12, 2008
I think that the children should stay with both parents equally if they live in the same town and both parents are capable to take care of the child. If there is distance, like in my case, I would say that the children should stay together no matter what, even if it hurts the father or mother. The children have a sibling bond that is as strong or stronger than the bond that the child has with either parent IMO. My oldest some came and lived with me, and his brother and sister stayed with their mother, but after a couple years, he asked to go and be with them and I let him because I knew he needed the bond and the friendship that only a sibling can bring. I am sad and do miss my kids, but I call them every other day and know they are happy to be together.

Since: Apr 08

Tennessee

#26 May 13, 2008
how wrote:
what does the father and step mother get custody of his daughter...when the mother is not fit to have the daughter? the mother has gotten 2 dui's in 2 weeks apart, has been in rehab. hid it from the fatherwhile the grandparents were keeping his daughter...the mother is in to meth real bad...everyone knows it but she still has custody of the daughter...what can we do????
call your local child abuse hot line report a drug exsposed child the mother will be drug tested and that will start the ball! been there done that! also need to call a lawyer file for temp emergency custody due to drug abuse
Angela Adair County Ky

Russell Springs, KY

#27 May 24, 2008
I think that the mother should get the kids because the father is so dead on doing nothing he will never have time for two kids. Mothers like me find the time to be with their kids.All the man wants to do is go out and party. But woman do take on the responsabilites. All the men wanted to do is have sex and then drop us like flies.
researcher

Clermont, KY

#28 May 24, 2008
how wrote:
what does the father and step mother get custody of his daughter...when the mother is not fit to have the daughter? the mother has gotten 2 dui's in 2 weeks apart, has been in rehab. hid it from the fatherwhile the grandparents were keeping his daughter...the mother is in to meth real bad...everyone knows it but she still has custody of the daughter...what can we do????
Take your case to a lawyer and back it up with truth. You should get her easy. She doesn't deserve the child if that is going on but you should let the grandparents see her. Sounds like they are trying to do good, even if hiding things their daughter has done. Good luck. Sounds like your daughter needs you. Take care of her.
Mini Pearl

Lexington, KY

#29 Jun 3, 2008
DeathsDarkChild wrote:
honestly it depends on whose most fit to raise the kid(s)
I agree with you.
Mini Pearl

Lexington, KY

#30 Jun 3, 2008
Angela Adair County Ky wrote:
I think that the mother should get the kids because the father is so dead on doing nothing he will never have time for two kids. Mothers like me find the time to be with their kids.All the man wants to do is go out and party. But woman do take on the responsabilites. All the men wanted to do is have sex and then drop us like flies.
i don't agree with you. my son has sole custody of his children and is a good Dad. now tell me this if what you say was true with all Dads do you think the Judge would have awared him sole custody?I don't think so So if Dad is a better parent give him the children.Sometimes the Moms are not the best parent!!!
Nana

Lexington, KY

#31 Jun 3, 2008
researcher wrote:
<quoted text> Take your case to a lawyer and back it up with truth. You should get her easy. She doesn't deserve the child if that is going on but you should let the grandparents see her. Sounds like they are trying to do good, even if hiding things their daughter has done. Good luck. Sounds like your daughter needs you. Take care of her.
If you know this is going on Do something about it.Run to a lawyer this child needs you.Don't punish the Grandparents let them see their Grand Child
Nana

Lexington, KY

#32 Jun 3, 2008
Billy The Kid wrote:
who said anything about keeping them from one of the other. dad has the oppurtunity but never keeps him. he isn't very fit keeping the child scared to death of lies. you need to learn how to spell ( SOCIAL) before putting your input and telling someone to grow up. read the first comment it goes with the poll!!!!
Why on earth would a court separate the two children in the first place how cruel and how sad my heart is acheing for those children.
grandmother

Memphis, TN

#33 Jun 7, 2008
A child should be place in a home where their best interest is the number one topic. A child needs to live in a stable environment. They don't need to be in an environment where there's constant turmoil. They need to be around people that is going to make sure their basic needs are met.
Granny

Mammoth Cave, KY

#34 Jun 7, 2008
Those poor children. It's a shame they are going through this,Why can't there parents be adults? Get a lawyer and do it soon.
agooddad

Acworth, GA

#35 Jul 8, 2008
Angela Adair County Ky wrote:
I think that the mother should get the kids because the father is so dead on doing nothing he will never have time for two kids. Mothers like me find the time to be with their kids.All the man wants to do is go out and party. But woman do take on the responsabilites. All the men wanted to do is have sex and then drop us like flies.
just cause u found a retard for a boyfriend dont mean we are all like u!!!! im a great dad and my kids mom said the same things u did till i proved her to be unfit and got sole rights of my kid. its woman like u that cause divorces!!!!!!!!!!
agooddad

Acworth, GA

#36 Jul 8, 2008
Angela Adair County Ky wrote:
I think that the mother should get the kids because the father is so dead on doing nothing he will never have time for two kids. Mothers like me find the time to be with their kids.All the man wants to do is go out and party. But woman do take on the responsabilites. All the men wanted to do is have sex and then drop us like flies.
??????
agooddad

Acworth, GA

#37 Jul 8, 2008
ok it looks like u got a real winner!! and are close to being one urself!! my kids mom would wine and cry like u and bad mouth me like u do. now my kid hates her and i got sole rights. ur the reason men get divorces!!!!!!!!!
Duh

Elizabethtown, KY

#38 Jul 8, 2008
Which ever parent isnt on meth should get the kid.
rollercoasterrid eahead

Taylor, MI

#39 Jul 27, 2008
how wrote:
what does the father and step mother get custody of his daughter...when the mother is not fit to have the daughter? the mother has gotten 2 dui's in 2 weeks apart, has been in rehab. hid it from the fatherwhile the grandparents were keeping his daughter...the mother is in to meth real bad...everyone knows it but she still has custody of the daughter...what can we do????
you sue her for custody....welcome to my world! my husbands ex has been into drugs and having abusive men in her life every since I've known her (6 years). 3 yrs in and my hubbie sued for custody (after her name was in the paper for being caught stealing)...she came to an agreement that if she broke her probation for any reason or had a pos drug test, custody would automatically change and she would have to seek court intervention for any rights to the child. Oh, and my husband had the right to have her randomly tested. 18 months later, she called the child at our house and told her she wouldn't pass a drug test if one was given to her. Well she didn't. It has been a MAJOR up and down ride since then (happened in Dec 08) Her and the child are in court ordered counseling (jointly and individually) and she has 1 hr supervised visits once a week. Oh, part of her probation is that she canNOT be around the man she has been with for 6 years....she's currently pregnant by him (which happened before they did drugs together..smart huh? pregnancy and cocaine don't mix) My husband and the ex went to mediation....mediator said he suggested reports from the counselors with emphasis on the childs individual counselor on how the visits should proceed over time with the mother proving she can change her lifestyle. Come to find out, she has been lying to her atty, individual cnslr and joint cnslr, along with her daughter. She is very much still with the ex but denies it. We have seen her numerous times riding around in his vehicle. Well, wouldn't you know it, the counselors are now suggesting unsupervised visits (except childs cnslr) so we had to scramble to get evidence of them together(pic). That wasn't hard...two days in we had it. This week will no doubt be a drama filled one when she finds out my hubby isn't agreeing to unsupervised visits. According to our atty and childs cnslr, this should prove to the judge that she number 1 continues to lie and number 2, has made zero progress in this whole long process. The saddest part is watching her daughter daily. Daughter is a teen and is an excellent kiddo. She doesn't know all the ins and outs from us (her mom freely tells her lies about the court case, we know this for a fact from the supervised visit reports). It is very difficult to watch a child want their mother when the mother refuses to follow rules and actually change in order to regain time with her child. It marks it that much harder to when the mother is telling the daughter that she is doing everything she is supposed to. Thank goodness for the counselor but we still have to nurture and hurt right along with her. There is no easy, cut and dry answer for custody issues. Unless you've actually lived through the process, it's hard to pass judgment. Even then, it's not a perfect system. Just as a last thought...probation is a joke....her probation officer is aware that they are together but can't seem to catch them together in 8 months, yet me and my husband did so in 2 days without them ever knowing we were watching in our car. We weren't hiding or anything but we certainly weren't parked next to them by all means. Well, good luck with your case. It is VERY hard to be a by-stander in a custody situation (as I am)and know all the facts first hand and watch as the court system and counselors just push it through the system. Case # 123456, closed. Child's life- affected forever.

Since: Oct 08

Oneida

#40 Oct 12, 2008
I don't know if you are really a social worker or not but I am involved in a case where this is happening. You are full of crap if you think, or tell people, it doesn;t happen. One parent has "temporary custody" and the other parent, regardless of what this parent does, because of the way the system works is being erased from the children's lives. There is nothing about child protective services or family court in Kentucky that is concerned with children's rights or family rights, only getting in and out quick. YES, YOU MOST CERTAINLY CAN DO THIS TO A CHILD EVERY DAY. You need to open your eyes
Socail Worker wrote:
I just voted on one because there isnt another option. But Why shouldn't Mom get the child, or why shouldnt Dad get the child. I know lots of Mom's with cusody and I know Dad's with cusody. Who are the parents and why dont you just call the Common Wealth and asked them who you think should get cusody, if there arent any problems with either of you, then make it were there are visitation rights and make that, that. You should not keep the child from either parent unless there is proof they are unfit. That will hurt the child in the long run. Trust me I see these types of cases every day and you can not do that to a child. If you are thinking about keeping them from one of the parents then you need to grow up. Thanks!
do the right thing

Glasgow, KY

#42 Oct 17, 2008
i just think some parents need to GROW UP. it is actually sad that we need a legal system to make decisions on what's best for a child. take a good hard look at whatever situation it is... and simply get those kids in the best environment for THEM. all the turmoil and instability is terrible for kids when the grow up and it hurts them more than you/other spouse. in these situations the parents should take themselves out of the equation for what they want, and decide to do what the kids want and need. they need both parents if they are stable and can provide... and divorced persons need to find a way to share that responsibility. but there;s alot of parents out there that got problems of there own to work out before they put those problems on there kids. don't yank them around. i've been ther and it was bad. if you really care about your kids you'll swallow your pride and make the right choice for them.
blondie

Elkton, MI

#43 Nov 24, 2008
Why should the mom get custudy when she doesn't work. She keeps the child from his dad because she doesn't get alone with his girlfriend who takes excellent care of the child when he was getting him. What kind of mom hold the kid over the dads head to get what she wants. She lies to the child. Now what kind of mom deserves the rights to have any child.
dad

Elizabethtown, KY

#44 Nov 25, 2008
how wrote:
how can a father get custody?
i have been through it and it is hard for the father to get custody but i done it.i got my three kids 2 girls and 1 boy.i had to prove they were better off and more stable with me.plus the school backed me to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Campbellsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Mickey402 148,467
Review: Campbellsville Peddlers Mall (Aug '10) 3 hr Pennie 77
doug wheeler ratting on everybody 4 hr Frank 2
Why do Ushers in Black Churches (Sep '10) 6 hr AZ DH 93
Jeremy wilcoxson 20 hr LMS 10
Four Twenty Lincoln 20 hr LMS 4
DawnaHash and Jeff Schwab dognotted up 21 hr LMS 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Campbellsville Mortgages