First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Sarah

Little Valley, NY

#1 Jul 13, 2008
What is your opinion on preachers who have been divorced. Should they be allowed to preach? It is my understanding that Baptist do not allow a person to preach in the church or even at a revival if they have been divorced. Any information or helpful comments is appreciated.
Lost Faith

Elizabethtown, KY

#2 Jul 13, 2008
I've lost faith in all preachers. No, I'm not being the Judge. But, when you believe in one and he does something any one of less faith knows is wrong, what are we to believe anymore?
Concerning your question about Baptist, I've also heard a divoced man cannot serve as deacon in a Baptist church.
I don't think I have ever know a divorced Southern Baptist preacher. I talked to a well educated Baptist preacher about divorce and re-marriage before asking my girlfriend to marry me. We only talked a short time, because time was limited, but his answer was confussing. If you want a good answer about divorce and Baptist preachers, or the Baptist belief on divorce and remarriage, talk to Skip Alexander or James Jones. They are well educated and very knowledgeable.
honest

Clermont, KY

#3 Jul 13, 2008
Lost Faith wrote:
I've lost faith in all preachers. No, I'm not being the Judge. But, when you believe in one and he does something any one of less faith knows is wrong, what are we to believe anymore?
Concerning your question about Baptist, I've also heard a divoced man cannot serve as deacon in a Baptist church.
I don't think I have ever know a divorced Southern Baptist preacher. I talked to a well educated Baptist preacher about divorce and re-marriage before asking my girlfriend to marry me. We only talked a short time, because time was limited, but his answer was confussing. If you want a good answer about divorce and Baptist preachers, or the Baptist belief on divorce and remarriage, talk to Skip Alexander or James Jones. They are well educated and very knowledgeable.
Put your faith in God, not preachers. Preachers are people like us whether we want to believe that or not.
IMHO

Buffalo, TX

#4 Jul 13, 2008
I think, if they are divorced because the wife cheated on him, then it's fine. (just my opinion, of course)
LGC Member

Crockett, TX

#5 Jul 13, 2008
I believe if a pastor divorces during his ministry he should not preach again, however if he divorces before he is saved and God calls him to preach I see nothing wrong. But at the same time I can't tell God who he can or can't call
yeah

Huntsville, TX

#6 Jul 14, 2008
honestly, i think it depends on the circumstances of the divorce. if someone is in an abusive relationship, you have to get out. and i don't think someone should be judged because of that.
Crazy

Bedias, TX

#7 Jul 15, 2008
Sarah wrote:
What is your opinion on preachers who have been divorced. Should they be allowed to preach? It is my understanding that Baptist do not allow a person to preach in the church or even at a revival if they have been divorced. Any information or helpful comments is appreciated.
If God called him to preach who am I to say he shouldn't.
survivor

Buffalo, TX

#8 Jul 15, 2008
I am Baptist and my preacher has been divorced. He is a great preacher. Just because he was divorced dosen't mean a thing to me.
Sarah

Little Valley, NY

#9 Jul 15, 2008
survivor wrote:
I am Baptist and my preacher has been divorced. He is a great preacher. Just because he was divorced dosen't mean a thing to me.
So, here is the dilema......a church is holding a community wide revival in the community and not at the baptist church. A preacher was asked to preach and when it was discovered he had been divorced he was then asked to not preach. Is that right? I dont think it is but would like other Christians' opinions.
opinion 1

Centerville, TX

#10 Jul 15, 2008
It is my opinion that God can use anyone he calls. I think the Baptists need to reconsider the issue of preachers being divorced. Some of these men have had wives who do not support them or abuse them in some way or just basically disrespect who they are. I think a person CAN come out of a divorce stronger spiritually. Divorce can make you rethink priorities and goals in life. Divorce definitely humbles a person. What an example to others of how God can work for the good in a person's life? I definitely have no problem with accepting a preacher who has been divorced.

“Is truth stranger then fiction”

Since: Oct 07

Campbellsville

#11 Jul 15, 2008
This is a good topic. Divorce is a huge problem in America and I think is major reason for the destruction of the traditional families. IN our culture we have many or most homes are headed by single parents and now the increasing experimentation with homosexuality.

Technically if a man divorce and his former wife is still alive I'm under the impression it's adultery. The Bible says all marriage can work, but it's because the hardness of man heart it doesn't. Bible gives a few a person few options to permit divorce.

When we died, the marriage will no longer be valid. Marriage only something we do here on earth.

Overall, I guess the church has to make a judgment call on the preacher and find out what's going on. We definitely don't want the preacher marriage or dating life being a stumbling block for the crest of the church. It maybe better if the preacher stayed single.

The married couple (Preacher & wife) must work together for protection of the church. Things can be worked out if they want it to work.
Vote McCain

Lebanon, KY

#12 Jul 15, 2008
When I was looking for a preacher to marry me the first time, we asked a baptist preacher to do the ceremony. He would not do it because my husband-to-be had been married before. We got another preacher to do it (he was Baptist also and was the one who married my first husband the first time-I was his second wife and my first marriage). In less than 2 months, he was verbally and very physically abusive. I lived in this 2 1/2 years and finally was able to get out. If I had not, one of us would be dead today. Since then, this idiot has had a third wife and he beat her too. Probably same preacher married him that time too. I don't think God judges a divorced person based on abuse. I do not think He would want anyone to live in that. You really don't know a person until you've lived with them.

“Is truth stranger then fiction”

Since: Oct 07

Campbellsville

#13 Jul 15, 2008
LGC Member wrote:
I believe if a pastor divorces during his ministry he should not preach again, however if he divorces before he is saved and God calls him to preach I see nothing wrong. But at the same time I can't tell God who he can or can't call
I believe their many roles and function to be performed in the church that's just as important as preaching in aiding in the ministry of the Lord. Even in the Business world people have been known to having to step down because of personal problems.

If i was a preacher and my wife wants a divorce though as long as I don't sign anything I don't think it should account against me. But if I divorce my wife, then that means I'm 100% responsible for being divorced.

I know it's hard trying to find the right mate. Dating a very difficult thing to do especially for Christians.
Mango Man

Hawesville, KY

#14 Jul 15, 2008
Bradley10 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe their many roles and function to be performed in the church that's just as important as preaching in aiding in the ministry of the Lord. Even in the Business world people have been known to having to step down because of personal problems.
If i was a preacher and my wife wants a divorce though as long as I don't sign anything I don't think it should account against me. But if I divorce my wife, then that means I'm 100% responsible for being divorced.
I know it's hard trying to find the right mate. Dating a very difficult thing to do especially for Christians.
Bradley, anyone ever tell you that you look just like George Dufas Bush?
just someone

Elizabethtown, KY

#15 Jul 15, 2008
You have to keep in mind that every human being on the planet are just that..human beings. What did a lot of the preachers do before they were called to do God's work? I know a few preachers that used to drink, smoke, drugs, sex, you name it and they did it and who are we to judge them. Of course not all of them did these things but a lot of them probably have because they are human. There is this thing called forgiveness and although we have a forgiving God that doesn't mean that we can take advantage of that. It just means that no matter what any preacher or any man of God has done before, he is forgiven just like the rest of us as long as we ask for forgiveness. And just like someone else said, if God didn't want them to be where they are then he wouldn't allow it. God Bless
What about the Bible

Franklin, TN

#16 Jul 15, 2008
All of these opinions are interesting, but what does the Bible say about pastors and marriage? Southern Baptists do what they do because they try to follow the Bible as close as possible.(You also have to remember that Southern Baptist Churches are autonomous - they govern themselves and do not have to answer to any governing body - which is why sometimes you will run into one that is different from the norm.) So what does the Bible say? I Timothy 3, Titus 1. Opinions are fine, but thats exactly what they are, opinions. If you want answers, go to the source...
Mango Man

Hawesville, KY

#17 Jul 16, 2008
What about the Bible wrote:
All of these opinions are interesting, but what does the Bible say about pastors and marriage? Southern Baptists do what they do because they try to follow the Bible as close as possible.(You also have to remember that Southern Baptist Churches are autonomous - they govern themselves and do not have to answer to any governing body - which is why sometimes you will run into one that is different from the norm.) So what does the Bible say? I Timothy 3, Titus 1. Opinions are fine, but thats exactly what they are, opinions. If you want answers, go to the source...
Just curious about something. If "Southern Baptists" follow the bible so closely, then:

1. Why do you not take the Lord's Supper every Sunday?

2. Why do you have instrumental music and a choir in worship? Never have found in my Bible where those two are prescribed as part of worship.

3. Why do you not have Elders? You have Deacons, but they do not function under Eldership as set forth in the New Testament.

“Is truth stranger then fiction”

Since: Oct 07

Campbellsville

#18 Jul 16, 2008
Mango Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Bradley, anyone ever tell you that you look just like George Dufas Bush?
Respect your president. George Bush Loves you. lol

“Time To Play The Game”

Since: Jun 08

Campbellsville, Kentucky

#19 Jul 16, 2008
Well I don't respect George Bush. You must like him. He has turned our country upside down. I can't wait until he get's out of office and we get a new President.

“Is truth stranger then fiction”

Since: Oct 07

Campbellsville

#20 Jul 16, 2008
Mango Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Just curious about something. If "Southern Baptists" follow the bible so closely, then:
1. Why do you not take the Lord's Supper every Sunday?
2. Why do you have instrumental music and a choir in worship? Never have found in my Bible where those two are prescribed as part of worship.
3. Why do you not have Elders? You have Deacons, but they do not function under Eldership as set forth in the New Testament.
1. Jesus said something like, however many times you do this, do it in remembrance of me. Thier was never a set amount of time to do the Lords supper.

2. Instrumental music and a choir some more traditional. King David had severals Choirs that use to sing throughout the day I think. Choirs some that been around for a long time in churches.
Many churches tend go with a more traditional style of service.

The main thing the worship service should be spiritual and in truth. The Church is also house of prayer.

3. What do you mean Elders don't function as Deacons? Both are important. Deacons or Elders bth provide leadership or what ever title a person uses in leadership.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Campbellsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 24 min Forumwatcher 174,955
Vanessa flinchum 1 hr Tracy 4
Vickie Strader 10 hr Class Of 79 8
Looking for Rob Roberts 23 hr Portman11 1
Men that isn't a man Wed Daddys girl 5
Patti Gribbons and meth Wed Daddys girl 2
Police Chase and then Shooting Wed Sad truth 6

Campbellsville Jobs

Personal Finance

Campbellsville Mortgages