Los Gatos man killed in motorcycle cr...

Los Gatos man killed in motorcycle crash on Highway 17

There are 122 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Jul 30, 2010, titled Los Gatos man killed in motorcycle crash on Highway 17. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The crash happened around 10 p.m. as the motorcyclist was heading north on the highway toward Los Gatos.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
TFC - total chaos

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Jul 30, 2010
RIP

Not that it happened in this case - but I've had cagers try to take me out on 17. Some bikers ride way too fast as well.
Whatever

San Jose, CA

#2 Jul 30, 2010
they call them 'Donorcycles' for a reason.
Dorftroedel

United States

#3 Jul 30, 2010
TFC - total chaos wrote:
RIP
Not that it happened in this case - but I've had cagers try to take me out on 17. Some bikers ride way too fast as well.
Yeah - I had one look me directly in the eye and purposely pull into me. The truck mirror just knicked my arm. It is bad enough that the ones that are not paying attention do it but there are plenty of others out to do bikers harm - needs to be more deterrent for these types.
Commuter

Berkeley, CA

#4 Jul 30, 2010
Sad I saw this when I was driving home last night from San Jose about 10:45pm. It was in the northbound lanes just north of the summit road overpass going towards San Jose. I did not understand why they left the body in the road covered. It look like it been a long while that he had been there. Because there was a line of traffic all the way back with the cars sitting with their head lights all off.. Sad... Prayers to the family and friends...
Commuter

Berkeley, CA

#5 Jul 30, 2010
Whatever wrote:
they call them 'Donorcycles' for a reason.
True.. but now is not the time to be saying that... Have at least a bit of respect for the dead as one day it will be yourself..
Wild Turkey

Fremont, CA

#6 Jul 30, 2010
Very sad. I've seen bikers speeding as well, racing bikes mostly. The hill is a serious temptation for racing bikes,as is HWY 9, and the Summit, San Jose - Soquel roads.
Geof

San Jose, CA

#7 Jul 30, 2010
I am an ex "plastic fender" biker that lived through three accidents and was smart enough to quit as I could not resist the urge to see how fast I could go, now days, with the new lane splitting laws,these idiots are nothing other than "road terrorists"
Last week, going to Hollister, five plastic bikers, did a lane split pass, against on-coming traffic, at 70mph, on a two lane road, causing car traffic to pull off the road to avoid "head-on " collisions.
Need to have attitudes and laws changed to keep another from dying.
At 31 yrs, life is just beginning - He apparently, enjoyed the speed - his friends and family are now suffering.
That particular curve is dangerous whatever you're driving
Whatever

San Jose, CA

#8 Jul 30, 2010
Commuter wrote:
<quoted text>
True.. but now is not the time to be saying that... Have at least a bit of respect for the dead as one day it will be yourself..
You have a point and I have respect for the dead but in truth I've heard stories of doctors whom when they find out that a younger person rides a motorcycle put on the hard sell to get them to be a donor. In their mind it's a only a matter of time...
Commuter

Berkeley, CA

#9 Jul 30, 2010
Yes... I know I see them fairly often but have to say over the course of the last 5 years I have seen a big decrease of them. I am not sure if its due to the increased CHIP enforcing speed limits or just riders being more sensible about their driving on the bikes on hwy 17
Tola Girl

San Francisco, CA

#10 Jul 30, 2010
Commuter wrote:
Sad I saw this when I was driving home last night from San Jose about 10:45pm. It was in the northbound lanes just north of the summit road overpass going towards San Jose. I did not understand why they left the body in the road covered. It look like it been a long while that he had been there. Because there was a line of traffic all the way back with the cars sitting with their head lights all off.. Sad... Prayers to the family and friends...
They have to leave the body as it lies until the coroner arrives. If you saw the body at 10:45 p.m., he hadn't been there all that long. I was trying to follow it on the CHP website last night for a friend who was also stuck in traffic. Very sad.
deer in the road

Alameda, CA

#16 Jul 30, 2010
I can't help but wonder if he was avoiding an impact with an animal.

I myself am a rider of about 10 years. Maybe coincidental but, I haven't had any issues with drivers hating on me. I admit I don't do anything that can be perceived as exhibitionistic (is that the right word here?). Sometimes I'm tempted to speed through a curve on hwy 9- but I'm more driven to return home to my husband and kids than a quick adrenaline rush. Maybe it's natural to be cautious because I'm a woman. Always on my mind are animals and other road hazards.
deer in the road

Alameda, CA

#18 Jul 30, 2010
I'm sorry for his family and friends loss. Very, very sad.
bikerscum

San Jose, CA

#20 Jul 30, 2010
Dorftroedel wrote:
<quoted text>
17 **** to ride at night - you cannot see all the way through most of the curves as they are out of illumination area of the headlight - as a rider you need to see through to set up to turn. You need a lot of faith to ride even a little bit over the speed limit at night on 17. I have never seen anyone, even the most nutty riders, excessively speed on 17 at night and I have been driving that road since 1982
I thoroughly agree with all of your posts. I confess to riding like a bat out of h-ll during the day on my way to work in S.J., but when I come home at night conditions are as you stated and if anything I ride under the limit. I have also had the experience of cagers looking me in the eye and trying to hit me on 17. One woman even opened her door as I went by trying to knock me over. Fortunately, I just clipped her and was able to maintain control. May this brother RIP and ride the cage-free highway in the sky. Condolences to his friends and family.
TFC - total chaos

Santa Cruz, CA

#21 Jul 30, 2010
wavey wrote:
Here's the deal, I drive 17 a lot and have to deal with these idiots that EXPECT you to do the right thing and move over for them. Well, eventually reckless behavior catches up to you and you become a grease spot in the road. Thank God he didn't take anyone else out with him. RIP but you have no one to blame but yourself. I hope you were an organ donor.
Yeah, sometimes the bikers do crazy. But its quite telling that your so upset by them. Ease up, move over so they can split. Threatening them by not budging an inch, acting as if you didn't see them is a wa-nk move. Intentionally encroaching their space might make you responsible for someones injury or death - even if you can get away with it. I've been pounding the hill for 26 years, several of those years on a bike, but mostly in a cage. I can tell you with great precision, that the threat to you on 17 comes from other cars - not bikers. You would not believe the crazy carp I've seen on that road. You hate the bikers cause they can move through traffic when you can't - period.
Hmmm

Milpitas, CA

#24 Jul 30, 2010
When I start to get a little faith in the human race I come here to get a reality check. Thank you for putting me back on the correct path. Oh ya, change your colostomy bag. It's starting to stink.
J Edgar ElectroLuX wrote:
<quoted text>
Get rid of me twice? Are you kidding? Check your history book, stooge. I dropped dead shortly after a hard day at the office while serving as "the director" ( very peacefully and in a dignified manner.... not with my brains messily spread all over a center barrier).
Please don't confuse "self righteousness" with common sense and concern for other's welfare..... of which you possess, apparently little. You can excuse this biker's stupidity if you want ....or chant Kum bi ya, or any other damnn thing to avoid dealing with blame, but I won't.
Maybe YOU think I made a "random judgement", but I didn't. It's a well reasoned response to people like you who can't even begin to figure out what accountability to oneself and others means. This biker was a danger to himself by his actions and probably others as well.
Want me to run him for priors? Bet I'll find a bunch of reckless/speeding tickets--wait a minute I'm dead, I can't do that.....crapp.
Regarding your last inane points: yes I'm in heaven. At our annual Friar's Roast, I WAS anointed by Jesus Christ himself....good enough for ya? Just to set the record straight, I'm not wearing a dress--its a standard issue "Heavenly Robe", I've heard enough of that cross-dressing bulllshit for one lifetime.
Finally in closing, I'll come back any fuuckin' time I want -- so get used to it.
J.
Iron Man

Santa Cruz, CA

#26 Jul 30, 2010
Is there anything that can be done to make this highway safer? It doesn't have to be a white knuckle trip to get in or out of Santa Cruz. I hate the 17 so much, I usually take the 1 when driving to San Fran, and try to avoid the 17 at all costs. This has curbed my trips to San Jose. Is there any way to get to SJ and avoid the 17 altogether? I've only been a Santa Cruz resident for 6 months, but when I moved here, I didn't think I'd end up being stuck inside Santa Cruz because I don't want to risk driving on a manual roller coaster. I'm from a small Southern town, and every highway was a straight path, I'm simply not used to this.

I don't care if I have to drive 20 more miles, is there any way to avoid the 17 altogether and still get out of Santa Cruz?

Since: Sep 08

Scotts Valley, CA

#27 Jul 30, 2010
TFC - total chaos wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, sometimes the bikers do crazy. But its quite telling that your so upset by them. Ease up, move over so they can split. Threatening them by not budging an inch, acting as if you didn't see them is a wa-nk move. Intentionally encroaching their space might make you responsible for someones injury or death - even if you can get away with it. I've been pounding the hill for 26 years, several of those years on a bike, but mostly in a cage. I can tell you with great precision, that the threat to you on 17 comes from other cars - not bikers. You would not believe the crazy carp I've seen on that road. You hate the bikers cause they can move through traffic when you can't - period.
No, respectfully I don't harbor any animosity that bikers can move through traffic; what I strongly object to is that they think they have the RIGHT to put everyone on the road in jeopardy so that they can get ahead of the rest. That means me in my van with kids who just want to get to school in one piece! Selfish B*stards is what I call them!!
bikerscum

San Jose, CA

#28 Jul 30, 2010
Iron Man wrote:
Is there anything that can be done to make this highway safer? It doesn't have to be a white knuckle trip to get in or out of Santa Cruz. I hate the 17 so much, I usually take the 1 when driving to San Fran, and try to avoid the 17 at all costs. This has curbed my trips to San Jose. Is there any way to get to SJ and avoid the 17 altogether? I've only been a Santa Cruz resident for 6 months, but when I moved here, I didn't think I'd end up being stuck inside Santa Cruz because I don't want to risk driving on a manual roller coaster. I'm from a small Southern town, and every highway was a straight path, I'm simply not used to this.
I don't care if I have to drive 20 more miles, is there any way to avoid the 17 altogether and still get out of Santa Cruz?
You can go 9 which is very curvy but beautiful and people usually go slower. Or you can go to Watsonville and go 152 which is also curvy, beautiful, and slow. Or go to Watsonville and go 129 which is fairly staright and mostly beautiful. I used to be afraid of 17 also, but now I've done it so many years that I could almost do it blindfolded at 100mph! LOL!
wow

Hayward, CA

#30 Jul 30, 2010
Iron Man wrote:
Is there anything that can be done to make this highway safer? It doesn't have to be a white knuckle trip to get in or out of Santa Cruz. I hate the 17 so much, I usually take the 1 when driving to San Fran, and try to avoid the 17 at all costs. This has curbed my trips to San Jose. Is there any way to get to SJ and avoid the 17 altogether? I've only been a Santa Cruz resident for 6 months, but when I moved here, I didn't think I'd end up being stuck inside Santa Cruz because I don't want to risk driving on a manual roller coaster. I'm from a small Southern town, and every highway was a straight path, I'm simply not used to this.
I don't care if I have to drive 20 more miles, is there any way to avoid the 17 altogether and still get out of Santa Cruz?
Ask people who drove 17 twenty years ago what they think about the current state of the road. There is no reason to white knuckle this road. Stay in the right lane and drive a speed you are comfortable with. It might take 10 minutes longer but it will be less nerve racking for you and the commuters around you.
13 blocks on ticket

United States

#34 Jul 30, 2010
to fill in. You must be superman. All I did was fill in 13 spaces on a ticket. Day after day, thousands upon thousands. Oh, only 3 day, and they pay you to retire at how much? Cashier does that much hundreds of times faster.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Campbell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
anyone find tina? 5 hr Jimmy Johns 2
News Wal-Mart closes Oakland, San Jose stores 21 hr Missed america 9
negroes Tue OMF 2
News Roadshow: Gas under $2 a gallon gas reaches Bay... Mon Solarman 1
News Roadshow: Parking in front of a neighbor's hous... (Aug '09) Sun Mike 249
Please Donate To A Good Cause ! Feb 2 SFHS foundation 1
sex (Dec '12) Feb 2 Casey1920dui 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Campbell Mortgages