Camp Pendleton fire burns about 200 a...

Camp Pendleton fire burns about 200 acres

There are 5 comments on the The Californian story from Jun 28, 2006, titled Camp Pendleton fire burns about 200 acres. In it, The Californian reports that:

A fire that started near Basilone and Las Pulgas Roads on Camp Pendleton around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday has burned about 200 acres, fire officials said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Californian.

United States

#1 Jun 28, 2006
How did this fire start, is it contained, I smell smoke still at 11p.m. near Sandia Creek and Gavilan Mountain.....

May I suggest annual fire training in winter early spring instead of the most recent live fire training, high temperatures, high winds, dry conditions,red flag warnings...awful pollution/air quality during training, did this meet california epa air pollution standards?

Although new to area, it seems within a day or two, there is usaually a fire after bombing/machine gun type training....

Never get too hear on news, what the causes are, when these fires are put out....
Annette in San Clemente

Irvine, CA

#2 Jun 29, 2006
AT about midnight my husband and I smelled strong fire smells here on our southern San Clemente home on the hill. Ave Salvador, Misty Ridge Area. Went outside and it was pretty smoky. Called the non-emergency local fire number. I told them I wasn't sure what was going on. They said they would come out anyway just to check our neighborhood that is next to all of the chaparell. They came out a few minutes later to check. By then a breeze kicked up and most of the smoke had dissipated. They did a quick drive by and all seemed well. It still smells strongly of the fire odor however.

San Diego, CA

#3 Oct 23, 2007
how about you just leave the "suggestions" to the professionals and worry about yourself. the fire had nothing to do with "training"...and as you know absolutely nothing about the military obviously then don't try to pretend that you know what is going on. the fire started from embers from the fallbrook fire. my husband is in the military and he is now not allowed to leave base until sunday so shut your little mouth and sleep well at night knowing that you have life easy and people like my husband fight for your right to make judgements. enjoy the rest of your safe night while the rest of us ACTUALLY going through something deal with it. thank you.
John in Carlsbad

La Jolla, CA

#4 Oct 14, 2008
Why can't the resources to fight fires- helicopters, tanker plane specificall, be on call 24/7 and take off as soon as you see a small fire starting anywhere, and I mean immediately. Is that too much to ask? Easier to douse a small fire I would think.
Terry a Helicopter Pilot

Beverly Hills, CA

#5 Sep 6, 2009
There's many reasons why pilots and aircraft can't be 24/7. Pilots have to sleep too. Contractors, state, and federal are not going to pay for 2 or 3 crews for each aircraft. Even if they were willing to pay, there are additional hazards of flying at night. Simply, we can't see everything we need to see, even with night vision goggles. And, night vision goggles add their own level of risk and hazards as well. Adding night flying to already risky operations such as filling over water, long lines, terrain and vegetation hazards, SMOKE, as well as wires, poles, trees, and many other things, the risks far out weigh the gains. There are times we have hard times flying in the day on the fires under certain conditions and situations. Frankly, there'd be many more incidents and accidents if the pilots were required to fly at night than in the day alone. Nobody wants broken aircraft, hurt or killed pilots, and damage to others or property on the ground (what goes up must come down....). I hope this lends a little clarity why we don't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Camp Pendleton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What about $700,000 buys in Dana Point, Fountai... 6 hr mar 1
Oceanside Windshield repair and Auto glass repl... Oct 21 abelito 2
green Oct 20 greengo 1
Corinne Hogg and her VA disability - What's wro... (Sep '15) Oct 20 Annonymous 14
News Lake ElsinoreMurrieta, Temecula forming new all... Oct 20 Kathy 1
News Vista, California Dumps Red Light Cameras Oct 18 SoapBox99 1
Review: Sobertec (Jun '12) Oct 8 Beentheredonethat 9

Camp Pendleton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Camp Pendleton Mortgages