GUEST EDITORIAL: Summer camps need ba...

GUEST EDITORIAL: Summer camps need background checks

There are 14 comments on the Public Opinion story from Jun 25, 2010, titled GUEST EDITORIAL: Summer camps need background checks. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Summer camp -- it can be a time of fun, freedom and flirting. Plus, maybe a little danger.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

Giant Yellow Jacket

Newport, PA

#1 Jun 26, 2010
Nonsense...this writer assumes all pedophiles are known and a mere background check would ensure safety.

It won't.
sharkbait

Ocean City, MD

#2 Jun 26, 2010
Anyone that is supervising or in charge of children should have a background check. It is a basic security measure and should absolutely be performed.

pre-schools, kindergartens and child care centers.

As a babysitter or childminder that is arranged by a commercial agency,involving the private tuition of children.

Private tuition means tuition formally arranged for children, where the person is actively teaching.
In schools or other educational institutions (not universities)

school bus drivers(to and from school)

Excursion bus drivers should be under the direction of the accompanying teachers, therefore they are not in child related employment

Involving regular provision of taxi services for the transport of children with a disability

Involving the provision of child protection services, fostering or other child care

in detention centers

in counceling or other child support services.

Other support services for children means youth services, family support services and other welfare services

Only staff delivering the counselling or other support service are covered by this definition.

Child health services covers medical and dental services, ambulances and those therapies listed in “extras cover” by the major health insurance funds.
Only the health staff, including allied health staff, directly delivering the service are in child-related employment.

In clubs, associations, movements, societies, institutions or other bodies (including bodies of a cultural, recreational or sporting nature) having a significant child membership or involvement Museums, councils, galleries and other like institutions are child-related employment if they provide programs specifically for children.

Public fairs and events intended for children, children’s theatres, computer games arcades, vacation care centres, public swimming pools and sports facilities are child-related employment
Zoos, aquariums, theme parks, fun parks, general theatres, circuses and cinemas are child-related employment if they provide programs specifically for children.

Overnight camps covers any activity specifically for children involving overnight accommodation, for example in tents, temporary shelters or group accommodation with organised recreation or programs
Janie

Waynesboro, PA

#3 Jun 26, 2010
Maybe I missed it, but I think sharkbait overlooked churches -- pastors, assistant pastors, youth pastors, Sunday School teachers -- anyone that would have any sort of authority position over children.

“Don't tread on me!”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#4 Jun 26, 2010
Janie wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but I think sharkbait overlooked churches -- pastors, assistant pastors, youth pastors, Sunday School teachers -- anyone that would have any sort of authority position over children.
Some churches do require background checks for volunteers who deal with children.

“Don't tread on me!”

Location hidden

#5 Jun 26, 2010
I think it's a great idea.

Wisdom says to look for danger in the future and take precautions now.
Jon

Greencastle, PA

#6 Jun 26, 2010
jtb_hypocrite wrote:
<quoted text>
Some churches do require background checks for volunteers who deal with children.
Looks like you are out of luck, jtb. Curses, foiled again!!

“Don't tread on me!”

Location hidden

#7 Jun 26, 2010
Jon wrote:
<quoted text> Looks like you are out of luck, jtb. Curses, foiled again!!
Ernest T spoke of the possum under the rock.
now the possum from Clarks Summit has found it's way to Topix.
Grumpy

Shermans Dale, PA

#9 Jun 26, 2010
More of the crowd who want government to be the daddy and do their jobs for them. Please please please keep me safe. What unmitigated bovine scatology.
lost

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Jun 26, 2010
I know a man who at 14 was sent to Loysville thanks to Franklin Co Probation he told me 2 years ago how he was made to have sex with the cousaler. Thanks Lawer D Zeger for all the [email protected] you did to be a big shot and have this man sent there and not listen when he told you what happen. You too judge Keller for going along with him.
Ralph

Chambersburg, PA

#11 Jun 26, 2010
lost wrote:
I know a man who at 14 was sent to Loysville thanks to Franklin Co Probation he told me 2 years ago how he was made to have sex with the cousaler. Thanks Lawer D Zeger for all the [email protected] you did to be a big shot and have this man sent there and not listen when he told you what happen. You too judge Keller for going along with him.
Renewing a drivers licence should require a background check for sexual deviates. Any interaction with state or local government should require a background check. Maybe even a check of citizenship.
sharkbait

Ocean City, MD

#13 Jun 28, 2010
Janie wrote:
I don't think that is state law. It should be though.
Bryce the Bear

Chambersburg, PA

#14 Jun 28, 2010
I do hope they've done away with "open bar" at summer camp.
Grumpy

Shermans Dale, PA

#15 Jun 29, 2010
Oh government please protect me. Please, Please, please. Pretty please with sugar on top. Get a life people.
Official Response

Allen, TX

#16 Jun 29, 2010
I have been supervisor of one camp in NY and am VP of another. Yes, NY State has very extensive regulations. Most are well intended and appropriate. Some regs and some inspectors are intrusive, subjective and unnecessary.
I now oversee clearances of personnel in a large camp in Franklin co. We have been proactive in requiring screening and clearances. Yes, many places are gravely at risk because of a lack of proper screening processes. Insurance companies will not cover liability litigation if the camp has neglected to screen in this area.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Camp Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
State stores Nov 21 Overtaxed 1
Review: West Shore Auto Care Inc (Feb '17) Nov 19 West Shore Auto Care 3
Are Dauphin County Youth Placed in This Out-of-... Nov 16 Krieg Ben 2
News Middletown Man Tries to Hire Hit Man to Take Ou... (Mar '06) Nov 10 Still abusive 5
Matthew V Buonassisi Arrest Nov 6 bob 3
Review: Asphalt Sealed By RS Maile (Oct '10) Nov 5 Owl Jolson 7
News Blue and Gray Bar & Grill opens in Gettysburg (Apr '12) Feb '17 Steve Gratman 217

Camp Hill Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Camp Hill Mortgages