Compton college on the mend

Compton college on the mend

There are 6 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Sep 11, 2010, titled Compton college on the mend. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Compton College students walk past the Learning Resource Center, a giant glass building, built with bond money but never opened due to design flaws.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

ruben

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Sep 12, 2010
cool.good going
surfgirlmb

Phoenix, AZ

#2 Sep 12, 2010
Compton will always be COMPTON!!!!
surf_morongo

United States

#3 Sep 12, 2010
You would have to either be out of your mind or insanely dedicated to attempt to instruct there.
ECC Student

Torrance, CA

#4 Sep 12, 2010
surfgirlmb wrote:
Compton will always be COMPTON!!!!
I have to agree Compton is Compton that that will never change. Even if the classes are not full, I don't feel safe going there.
ECC Employee

Hawthorne, CA

#5 Sep 13, 2010
It's been years now, and ECC has yet to compensate many of us at the Torrance campus for our efforts at the Compton Center. I feel taken advantage of and resent management and the union, both of who have done absolutely nothing in giving us the compensation that we were told we would get. While the administration basks in the public light, we still wait for the compensation we were PROMISED.
Shihan

Compton, CA

#6 Sep 20, 2010
Mr. Kuznia, as a thirty year employee of Compton Community College District, I found your article to be rude, insulting and misleading. While there where fiscal issues involved leading to the District’s loss of accreditation, you neglected to note that in academics and governance, the Compton district was far ahead of El Camino in terms of meeting state requirements. Compton Community College enjoys a 70 year history as an excellent institution of higher education. When a crime is committed you arrest the criminals, not punish the community they occurred in.
And then there’s the fact that you paint the entire city with the same broad brush of biased, misleading insult. I grew up in the City of Compton in the ‘60s and ‘70s. I married and bought a home there in the ‘80s. Compton has ALWAYS been a working class city. Whether the population was predominantly European-American, African-American, or Latin-American, it has always been, and remains, a working class city whose population works hard to buy a home, raise their children, and send them to college. In view of current events in Bell and other surrounding cities your statement that Compton is “infamous for political corruption” might be taken as biased, especially when you add the remark about “gangsta rap”(rappers come from virtually every large city in the country), and as for “violent crime”, you failed to offer a comparison for contrast. Do you mean the crime rate is higher than a rural city with a fraction of the population, or do you honestly believe the crime rate in Compton to be significantly higher than that of cities of similar population in a major metropolitan area?
I have volunteered my time as a karate instructor for the last 30 years, teaching and guiding the youth of Compton at venues ranging from the Salvation Army and the YMCA to city parks, and I tell you, the kids here in the City of Compton are NOT the ones in the rap videos or in your imagination. There are a great many of us who work very hard to serve our community, you have done us all an injustice.
Tim Stewart
Compton Community College employee
Senior Master, Eyes of the Hawk Karate

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Camino Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Marcos Breton: Obama critic in Placerville offe... (Jul '08) May '16 WellArmed 24
Review: Brookside Dental - Phuong-Lien Ngo DDS (Oct '10) May '16 Jerry Kramer 4
Nood Senior Dancing In Park at Night Apr '16 Mollusca 1
trapped in pollock, desperately need black (Jun '15) Apr '16 Anonymous 4
News El Dorado County official upset by low-flying p... (Nov '07) Mar '16 Col Rathbone CSA 38
News Oakland's costly gamble with spiking its minimu... Feb '16 WTF? 1
News Roadshow: Gas under $2 a gallon gas reaches Bay... Feb '16 Solarman 1

Camino Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Camino Mortgages