Budget cuts leave El Camino College with fewer classes for more...

There are 57 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Sep 3, 2009, titled Budget cuts leave El Camino College with fewer classes for more.... In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Students line up to enter a crowded bookstore on the ECC campus. This semester enrollment is estimated 27,500 students, an increase of 10 percent from last semester.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
John M

San Clemente, CA

#2 Sep 3, 2009
Not only can you hardly find classes, but the student services staff seems overwhelmed. How many new high paid administrators has this community college district or college just added recently that directly takes way from instruction and services? Does management and administrators work more than 40 hours a week, I am sure some do but isn't that why they make the big bucks?
I am an American

Whittier, CA

#3 Sep 3, 2009
IF YOU WANT AN EDUCATION, GO TO UCLA AND USC. HOW DO YOU GET THERE. LET SEE...1. YOUR PARENTS SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT YOUR EDUCATION BEFORE THEY HAD YOU. (IF WE HAVE A BABY, CAN WE AFFORD FOR THEM TO GO TO SCHOOL...NAAAAA..WILL SEND THEM TO EL CAMINO COLLEGE AND LET THE GOVERMENT PAY THEIR WAY)...STOP BLAMING THE SYSTEM AND START BLAMING YOUR STUPID PARENTS FOR NOT THINKING AHEAD. THE GOVERMENT IS NOT YOUR KEEPER, YOUR PARENTS ARE. PARENTS IF YOU ARE GOING TO SEND YOUR KID TO SCHOOL, MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A GOOD CAR AND YOU HAVE THE MONEY FOR THEIR EDUCATION. OR MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A JOB TO PAY FOR PART OF THEIR EDUCATION AND YOU PAY THE REST. UCLA AND USC HAS ALL SORTS OF OPENINGS..BUT YOU HAVE TO BE SMART AND HAVE MONEY. SO FOR ALL YOU STUPID KIDS GOING TO EL CAMINO COLLEGE, BLAME YOUR PARENTS.
So What

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Sep 3, 2009
In the 70s after Viet Nam we all waited for classes. So what? Most of these kids have never broken a sweat.
Local Yokel

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#6 Sep 3, 2009
I am an American wrote:
IF YOU WANT AN EDUCATION, GO TO UCLA AND USC. HOW DO YOU GET THERE. LET SEE...1. YOUR PARENTS SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT YOUR EDUCATION BEFORE THEY HAD YOU.(IF WE HAVE A BABY, CAN WE AFFORD FOR THEM TO GO TO SCHOOL...NAAAAA..WILL SEND THEM TO EL CAMINO COLLEGE AND LET THE GOVERMENT PAY THEIR WAY)...STOP BLAMING THE SYSTEM AND START BLAMING YOUR STUPID PARENTS FOR NOT THINKING AHEAD. THE GOVERMENT IS NOT YOUR KEEPER, YOUR PARENTS ARE. PARENTS IF YOU ARE GOING TO SEND YOUR KID TO SCHOOL, MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A GOOD CAR AND YOU HAVE THE MONEY FOR THEIR EDUCATION. OR MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A JOB TO PAY FOR PART OF THEIR EDUCATION AND YOU PAY THE REST. UCLA AND USC HAS ALL SORTS OF OPENINGS..BUT YOU HAVE TO BE SMART AND HAVE MONEY. SO FOR ALL YOU STUPID KIDS GOING TO EL CAMINO COLLEGE, BLAME YOUR PARENTS.
Please change your name. You're giving other blathering loud mouthed Americans a bad name.
I am an American

Whittier, CA

#8 Sep 3, 2009
Local Yokel wrote:
<quoted text>
Please change your name. You're giving other blathering loud mouthed Americans a bad name.
THE TRUTH HURSTS YOU MUST BE A PARENT
Torrance Mom

Corona, CA

#9 Sep 3, 2009
I am an American wrote:
<quoted text>
THE TRUTH HURSTS YOU MUST BE A PARENT
Learn to spell, moron. Obviously you didn't go to college at all.
I am an American

Whittier, CA

#10 Sep 3, 2009
I did not go to college, but my kid attends UCLA. YOUR A DEAD BET PARENT...OR DID YOU HAVE YOUR STUPID KID WRITE THIS FOR YOU.
dump people

San Marcos, CA

#11 Sep 3, 2009
whaaaa??? if u subsidize costs den mo' people wan' use produckt den iz uh-vail-uh-bul?

dis no like gaz lines in da 70s, righ'?
I am an American

Whittier, CA

#12 Sep 3, 2009
TORRANCE MOM, I HAVE ONLY ONE KID HOW MANY DO YOU HAVE. AND YOU ARE PROBABLY NOT EVEN MARRIED..YOUR A LOSER YOU DEAD BEAT MOM. AND A STUPID PARENT AT THAT.
Huh

United States

#13 Sep 3, 2009
I am an American wrote:
I did not go to college, but my kid attends UCLA. YOUR A DEAD BET PARENT...OR DID YOU HAVE YOUR STUPID KID WRITE THIS FOR YOU.
Congratulations to your son for being accepted to UCLA. Hopefully he becomes a more gracious person than his parent.

Frankly, it doesn't matter what school you attend, but it's what you make out of your time in school. Anyone can coast through classes and party. No school pours knowledge into the students' head. The student has to work to earn it, and they can do that at any campus that offers access to the resources. Community college students have access to the same research library resources as UC or CSU students. They can accumulate enough credits to transfer to the 4-year campus. If anything, transfer students are likely more driven to succeed.

Thank you for having the foresight to sufficiently prepare your kid for college, instead of letting him grow up ignorant like you.
Huh

United States

#14 Sep 4, 2009
I am an American wrote:
TORRANCE MOM, I HAVE ONLY ONE KID HOW MANY DO YOU HAVE. AND YOU ARE PROBABLY NOT EVEN MARRIED..YOUR A LOSER YOU DEAD BEAT MOM. AND A STUPID PARENT AT THAT.
And more congratulations are in order, since you've passed your genetic material on to another generation. Whoo hoo, you can breed like most every other creature on the planet! And you beat the odds in that your offspring is demonstrably smarter than you.
Aside from putting your son into UCLA, do you have anything else to offer the world? Being a loutish bully isn't much of a skill. Do you still breath through your mouth, or is that only when you got your drink on?
I am an American

Whittier, CA

#15 Sep 4, 2009
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Congratulations to your son for being accepted to UCLA. Hopefully he becomes a more gracious person than his parent.
Frankly, it doesn't matter what school you attend, but it's what you make out of your time in school. Anyone can coast through classes and party. No school pours knowledge into the students' head. The student has to work to earn it, and they can do that at any campus that offers access to the resources. Community college students have access to the same research library resources as UC or CSU students. They can accumulate enough credits to transfer to the 4-year campus. If anything, transfer students are likely more driven to succeed.
Thank you for having the foresight to sufficiently prepare your kid for college, instead of letting him grow up ignorant like you.
IF THIS WAS TRUE, THEN YOU KID WOULD NOT BE STANDING IN LINE AT EL CAMINO COLLEGE. A SCHOOL THAT IS FUNDED BY THE GOVERMENT FOR ALL THE DUMB KIDS WHO PARENTS WERE TO DUMB TO THINK AHEAD. BEFORE THEY HAD KIDS. OR BORE KIDS THAT ARE JUST AS DUMB AS THEIR PARENTS THEY HAVE TO ATTEND A CALIFORNIA FUNDED COLLEGE. A COLLEGE THAT LETS ANY DUMB KID ATTEND, BECAUSE THEY ARE TO DUMB TO ATTEND A UNIVERSITY OR THEIR PARENTS WE TOO DUMB TO THINK AHEAD BEFORE THEY HAD A STUPID KID.
youre annoying

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Sep 4, 2009
I am an American wrote:
<quoted text>
IF THIS WAS TRUE, THEN YOU KID WOULD NOT BE STANDING IN LINE AT EL CAMINO COLLEGE. A SCHOOL THAT IS FUNDED BY THE GOVERMENT FOR ALL THE DUMB KIDS WHO PARENTS WERE TO DUMB TO THINK AHEAD. BEFORE THEY HAD KIDS. OR BORE KIDS THAT ARE JUST AS DUMB AS THEIR PARENTS THEY HAVE TO ATTEND A CALIFORNIA FUNDED COLLEGE. A COLLEGE THAT LETS ANY DUMB KID ATTEND, BECAUSE THEY ARE TO DUMB TO ATTEND A UNIVERSITY OR THEIR PARENTS WE TOO DUMB TO THINK AHEAD BEFORE THEY HAD A STUPID KID.
You just called yourself a dumb parent. UCLA is funded by our government. Stop being a pr*ck.
pril

Klamath Falls, OR

#17 Sep 4, 2009
I am an American wrote:
<quoted text>
IF THIS WAS TRUE, THEN YOU KID WOULD NOT BE STANDING IN LINE AT EL CAMINO COLLEGE. A SCHOOL THAT IS FUNDED BY THE G
(blah blah blah) Ha ha, joke's on you for thinking you sent your kid off to some prestigious private university.
Here We Go Again

Burbank, CA

#18 Sep 4, 2009
why don't we get a more complete story? the data doesn't make sense. partially because they are comparing fall 2009 to spring 2009 semester or fall 2009 to fall 2008 semester...such journalistic trickery. why slant the story to the "feel sorry for ECC" angle, why not just present the data in a logical fashion and let people come to their own conclusion? everybody knows (including the kids) that FALL semester is ALWAYS heavier enrollment than the spring. And while you are at it, how many of these kids will try for a few weeks and then drop their classes? Why should we fund kids who aren't going to make it? What's the drop rate at ECC? Oh, and the admin has always been overwhelmed there, that's the only mode of operation that they know.
anonymous

United States

#19 Sep 4, 2009
I have saved for my child's education, but if he's not quite sure what his major is going to be...why not go to the JC and take the general ed. courses needed to transfer. Why pay the big bucks to a CSU or UC and take the same classes. Many young adults don't know what they really want to be and end up changing majors anyway and attending school for more than 4 years. Of course, that wouldn't be true for "I am an American's child" because dad has probably told him/her what they will be, whether they like it or not. I am an American just sounds bitter.
Huh

United States

#20 Sep 4, 2009
I am an American wrote:
More stuff to demonstrate his ignorance...
Hah, hah, you overpaid!

I hope your son does well at UCLA. I also hope he doesn't inherit your arrogant attitude.

Most nurses come from community colleges. Machinists, medical technicians, firefighters, EMTs are examples of some of the many trades which come out of community colleges. Many community college students continue their studies at a university, getting a bachelors, masters and even doctorate degrees. Disbelieve it as you wish, but it's still a fact.

But you are smarter than all of them, because your sperm successfully swam up a uterus and fertilized an egg. Add to that, you saved up so you could send your offspring to what you considered an exclusive school so you could feel superior seeing him wear the blue and gold and put a "UCLA Dad" on your leased Lexus. Hold on, Stockholm is on the phone, they want to know where to send your Nobel Prize.
Huh

United States

#21 Sep 4, 2009
anonymous wrote:
I have saved for my child's education, but if he's not quite sure what his major is going to be...why not go to the JC and take the general ed. courses needed to transfer. Why pay the big bucks to a CSU or UC and take the same classes. Many young adults don't know what they really want to be and end up changing majors anyway and attending school for more than 4 years. Of course, that wouldn't be true for "I am an American's child" because dad has probably told him/her what they will be, whether they like it or not. I am an American just sounds bitter.
Precisely!

Having started college after years in the Army, I got my AS degree at a community college before transferring to the university. I got my B of Sci, and have completed work toward a M of Sci. I found the learning experience is more personal at the community college.

The material covered in the lower-division courses are the same at both campuses. Many lower-division introductory courses are huge (>400 students) auditorium classes at the universities. At the community colleges, the class sizes for the same courses are much smaller (<150 students) so there is better interaction with the instructor.

A major part of a university professor's job is to conduct research and win grant money and prestige for the school. The lower-division undergraduate experience suffers. It gets better at the upper division classes.

The community college instructor's primary job is to teach. They have time to engage and motivate their students. They mentor their students, and provide directed research for more motivated students, often using resources at a university campus.

The downside to the community college experience is that it fails to prepare some students for university life. University professors don't have the time to reach out to students. The student must actively seek to learn. Those students who must be pestered for their homework will fail to make the transition to university life.
Jake

Redondo Beach, CA

#22 Sep 4, 2009
Drove out Redondo Beach Blvd yesterday .... nice to see the NEW multi level parking structure complete with electonic signage on how many spaces are available on each level - then a 12% class cut???

What's going on here? Places to park but no classes?!!!!!
Huh

United States

#23 Sep 4, 2009
Jake wrote:
Drove out Redondo Beach Blvd yesterday .... nice to see the NEW multi level parking structure complete with electonic signage on how many spaces are available on each level - then a 12% class cut???
What's going on here? Places to park but no classes?!!!!!
Different monies - the parking structure fund was a ballot initiative. Operating funds come from the shrinking state budget.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Camino Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Love & Relationships May 13 Say no to cults 5
News Upper Placerville Flooded with Pedestrian traff... (Sep '13) May 3 laugh 5
Water May 1 Davish 3
It ain't broke but ya gotta fix it? (Aug '14) Apr 28 KevinIs 2
Gloria Wilson Russell-R.I.P. (Aug '08) Apr '15 Lil Bro 5
Women helping women Mar '15 Smarter than you 2
News Artist Thomas Kinkade died suddenly of natural ... (Apr '12) Mar '15 Hypno Doc 24
More from around the web

Camino People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]