The Swarm: Arden Arcade cityhood group apologizes, foes seek probe

Jun 8, 2010 Full story: Sacramento Bee

The broader questions about the proposed incorporation of Arden Arcade aside, the two sides are going at it hammer and tong over how the pro-cityhood group is going about its business -- and what that might mean for a new city.

Full Story
Curmudgeon

Sacramento, CA

#1 Jul 2, 2010
Leave it to the oh so perfect and smarmy editorial staff at the Bee to inflate minor and honest mistakes by ordinary citizens. What heresy that these upstarts should try to wrestle control of their own community away from the impeccable management of the City and County of Sacramento!
"The Swarm" is just sore that those of us outside the City of Sacramento voted down their bid to merge with the County. One need only look at the successes after incorporation for the new cities of Citrus Heights, Elk Grove and Rancho Cordova to see why Arden Arcade community residents would be smart to vote themselves out of County control and into cityhood. Carmichael will be sorry they didn't join in.
Daniel

Sacramento, CA

#2 Aug 8, 2010
the pro-cityhood people do not seem trustworthy... how can they be trusted to run a city if they cannot run a campaign correctly. This is far too risky during a down economy. How will we afford it? What will happen when we end up with less businesses, less police protection? These people scare me.
Ed Dickey

Elk Grove, CA

#3 Aug 8, 2010
Daniel wrote:
the pro-cityhood people do not seem trustworthy... how can they be trusted to run a city if they cannot run a campaign correctly. This is far too risky during a down economy. How will we afford it? What will happen when we end up with less businesses, less police protection? These people scare me.
Daniel, nice to see someone else has drank the Kool-Aid. Was it cherry?

How do we afford it? You might ask either of the two independent consultants who completed exhaustive studies of the area and the revenue flow, and concluded the new city would be financially viable, with room to spare. And yes, one of those studies was this year.

Less police protection? That is the end result of NOT incorporating. Think the county is just going to suddenly realize that staffing levels are ridiculous, and instaly double their patrols, in spite of the budget shortfalls? Cityhood is the ONLY way we can keep our current levels of protection, or even increase them.

And regarding whether we can trust the incorporation proponents to run the city - are you ready for this?- We don't have to!!! In this country we have these things called elections. Say it with me: eee-leck-shuns. Of the people running for city council, less than a fourth of them were on the incorporation committee. The committee existed to serve the community and bring this issue to a vote. Now the candidates will serve in their own, completely different, way.
Curmudgeon

Sacramento, CA

#4 Aug 12, 2010
Ed Dickey wrote:
<quoted text>
Daniel, nice to see someone else has drank the Kool-Aid. Was it cherry?
In true Jonestown style, it must have been grape.
Ed Dickey wrote:
<quoted text>
How do we afford it? You might ask either of the two independent consultants who completed exhaustive studies of the area and the revenue flow, and concluded the new city would be financially viable, with room to spare. And yes, one of those studies was this year.
Exactly. Indeed, Arden Arcade has to pay a large "dowry" or "alimony" payment to the County to incorporate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Camino Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Will Pay for Surveillance Feb 24 Looking for Justice 1
Placerville police arrest man for child molesta... Feb 5 Paysen 7
Opinion: Placerville Stop Lights Need to GO (Aug '13) Feb 4 Carol McGraw 3
moving to placerville?? Jan '15 xsf 4
12-Hour Standoff In Placerville Ends After Fire Jan '15 Fahim Mohammed X 2
Review: Brookside Dental - Phuong-Lien Ngo DDS (Oct '10) Dec '14 Satisfied 3
Review: Automotive Excellence Auto (May '09) Dec '14 Realistic 7
Camino Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web