Syosset father of killed tot testifie...

Syosset father of killed tot testifies for car safety

There are 4 comments on the Newsday story from Feb 28, 2007, titled Syosset father of killed tot testifies for car safety. In it, Newsday reports that:

Syosset pediatrician Greg Gulbransen made his fifth trip to Capitol Hill Wednesday, testifying at a Senate subcommittee hearing in support of a car safety bill named for his 2-year-old son, Cameron, whom he ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

jim

Warren, NJ

#1 Mar 1, 2007
i should be forced to buy extra safety devices because some negletful parent lets a toddler run free and gets run over in the driveway? NO WAY, and how come the parent is not arrested for child endangerment ?
Ronkonkoma

Coram, NY

#2 Mar 1, 2007
"Jim" from NY said it all. I'm very sorry for what happened; it's absolutely horrible. But, looking to place blame everywhere except where it belongs may make the parent feel a little better, but it serves no real purpose. Perhaps the individuals who feel they SIMPLY MUST drive a three-ton land cruiser to run their piddly errands should have two extra eyeballs forcibly installed in the back of their heads (at taxpayer expense, of course).
Don

Coram, NY

#3 Mar 1, 2007
"For as much as you can pay for a car nowadays, wouldn't it be simple to make these devices mandatory?" Just what the hell does that mean?! Talk about "simple"! Let's not forget to mandate on-board radar and infrared body heat detectors. It'll give these air-head drivers something elst to do while they're talking on their goddamn cell phones instead of paying attention to where they're going.
Thomas Paine

United States

#4 Mar 1, 2007
I remember tearing up when I first read about this horrible accident happening. As a father myself, I cannot imagine this man's pain, or how I could possibly bear it myself, if I were in his place. What a terrible tragedy.

But when I consult my common sense and experience on this proposed bill,

1) Legislators (i.e., politicians and lawyers), if they're wise, should stay far, far away from mandating particular technological 'fixes' to societal problems in laws. Leave the business of technology selection to people who know what they're doing. When it comes to technology, lawyers and politicians are generally incompetant and their track record in this respect has been horrendous. Those legislators who are not wise enough to see this and stay away themselves need to be kept well away.

2) There are only two classes of SUV drivers - those who have backed into/over something, and those who are going to. Between this hazard and several others (weight, high CG & instability at speed, exemptions from key vehicular safety standards) make SUVs are inherently less safe as passenger vehicles. SUVs have their place, but many, if not most, people who have succumbed to the auto industry's marketing hype and are driving these things as passenger vehicles are doing so out of ignorance and/or foolishness, IMO. To think that festooning these things with ever more clever technological gimcrackery like cameras, proximity beepers, reverse gear audible alarms, automatic brake applicators, automatics head-turners, etc. is going to make them safe passenger vehicles is also foolish.

3) If this bill does go through, I suppose I will just have to look for the silver lining - which is that if mandating more and more expensive stuff on SUVs prices them into well-deserved extinction, this will not be a bad thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cameron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
citizens beware (Sep '11) Oct '17 Debbie young 2
News Jasper man facing burglary charges Oct '17 Debbie young 1
News Man faces multiple felony charges after fire (Jan '09) Jul '17 Jason Pope 12
bath judicial system (Apr '16) May '17 judges indabag 2
News FCC fines Syracuse radio owner $20,000 after 'u... (Jun '16) May '17 ZIONIST MEDIA CABAL 4
More Bath Rumors... (Apr '13) May '17 yidfellas v USA 20
Election Who do you support for State Senate in New York... (Oct '10) Nov '10 MRA 5

Cameron Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cameron Mortgages