Off-Duty Deputy Accidentally Shoots H...

Off-Duty Deputy Accidentally Shoots Himself (note his name was not released)

Posted in the Camden Forum

Mater

Belgrade, Serbia

#1 Jan 7, 2013
The deputy sustained a non-life threatening wound to the back after his service weapon accidentally fired
By Monica Garske
| Sunday, Jan 6, 2013 | Updated 10:50 AM PST
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

Off-Duty Deputy Accidentally Shoots Himself

NBC 7 San Diego

advertisement

An off-duty sheriff’s deputy wound up in the hospital after accidentally shooting himself with his service weapon outside of a grocery store in Carlsbad.

Authorities confirmed the incident happened at around 8 p.m. Saturday.

The deputy was in his car outside the Sprouts grocery store at Rancho Santa Fe Road and Camino De Las Coches in Carlsbad when his service weapon accidentally fired. He was hit with one round in the back.

The deputy -- who, according to Sheriff’s Department Lt. Mike Munsey, is an experienced veteran – was taken to a local hospital. His gunshot wound was not life-threatening, authorities said.

“I’ve known him for 25 years,” Lt. Munsey told NBC 7.“He’s a pretty experienced guy. It’s just one of those freak things that happens, I guess.”

At the time of the accidental shooting, the deputy was with his girlfriend and family. His name was not released.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Off-Dut...

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#2 Jan 7, 2013
OK, call me stupid, but Somebody explain to me how you can accidentially shot yourself...IN THE BACK?

Especially a 25-year Veteran Policeman with a holstered gun???
Shrink

Camden, TN

#3 Jan 7, 2013
You asked for it. :) Stupid no where does it say the weapon was holstered. Many people carry concealed in their waste band . No mention is made of the type of service weapon. Revolver or semi auto.Hard to speculate without that info. Maybe we was scratching his butt.
Mater

Cambridge, MD

#4 Jan 7, 2013
In any case, scratching his butt or picking his nose he could have killed someone and needs to be at least disciplined.

Location hidden

#5 Jan 7, 2013
Shrink wrote:
You asked for it.:) Stupid no where does it say the weapon was holstered. Many people carry concealed in their waste band . No mention is made of the type of service weapon. Revolver or semi auto.Hard to speculate without that info. Maybe we was scratching his butt.
All On-duty Cops wear their Weapons in a holster and an Off-duty Cop wears their weapon in a different kind of holster, but it is always holstered somewhere on their body...unless they're a complete Idiot and you wouldn't think a 25-year Veteran of Law Enforcement would be...and it's always pointed down. So, I still cannot figure out how that could have happened.
Even unholstered and just stuck in his Belt, which I doubt that a cop would wear it like that, but even if he did, it's pointed down. How could it get turned around enough to shoot him in the back???

Location hidden

#6 Jan 7, 2013
Mater wrote:
In any case, scratching his butt or picking his nose he could have killed someone and needs to be at least disciplined.
AND, sent back to the Academy to learn how to carry his weapon!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#8 Jan 7, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>
AND, sent back to the Academy to learn how to carry his weapon!
Why do I think that some how tax payers will be footing his medical expenses, and do they have a medical clause for stupidity?

Location hidden

#9 Jan 7, 2013
Marth571 wrote:
<quoted text>Why do I think that some how tax payers will be footing his medical expenses, and do they have a medical clause for stupidity?
They have insurance that the County or City that he works for, pays the premiums for. So, there probably won't be any extra expense on that issue. But, I just can't figure out how he could shoot HIMSELF in the back. Kind a makes me wonder if he's covering for somebody else that was in the vehicle and there's more to the Story, since the Report didn't give many details. But, that's just my opinion, I have no way of knowing. It just all seems very strange to me.
Camden Tn

Camden, TN

#10 Jan 8, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>
All On-duty Cops wear their Weapons in a holster and an Off-duty Cop wears their weapon in a different kind of holster, but it is always holstered somewhere on their body...unless they're a complete Idiot and you wouldn't think a 25-year Veteran of Law Enforcement would be...and it's always pointed down. So, I still cannot figure out how that could have happened.
Even unholstered and just stuck in his Belt, which I doubt that a cop would wear it like that, but even if he did, it's pointed down. How could it get turned around enough to shoot him in the back???
Waist band is above the lower back.It does not say where in the back he was shot. Alot of back between the waist band and the tailbone. How can you say what ALL as in every off duty officer does ?? Xray vision ??Super powers ???Accidents happen Prayers for a quick recovery for the officer.
Associate

Baton Rouge, LA

#12 Jan 9, 2013
Maybe Yeager can teach him a few things.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Camden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tiffany mcalister (Aug '10) 9 hr Wrong 6
Cayleeee Ray 9 hr vApE 2
Greasy 15 hr Blackcat 1
Is laney haze fowler in jail forever this time? 19 hr Allen 1
Married Women and Messaging (sexting) 20 hr Curious 5
Bad gas at Marathon (Mar '10) Feb 23 Ben Thompson 26
Tiffany Tood Feb 22 Derek 2

Camden Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance