Cowboys Steakhouse
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#1 Nov 26, 2012
Tried it Saturday night...I won't be back. Staff were confused. owner was confused, owner's girlfriend confused. Service rated a #5 (so-so)
Salad bar #6 (still so-so) Salad dressing just plain watered down!! Guess this boy expected something better. I tried a steak (Got Gas).

Floor was dirty, waitress station cluttered and dirty, kids playing at the food bar area in food? This is a receipt for the t-rots if you get my drift!!! Whats happend to your resturants Camden?
Bullwinkle and Rocky

Collierville, TN

#2 Nov 26, 2012
Sad
In the know

United States

#3 Nov 26, 2012
It is unfortunate. However it is true. We need real food choices in BC. Great food Great Service with a Great atmosphere. I was there only once. There was a little girl who used to worked at another restaurant in J'Ville. Tequilla Johns. (that place is a joke as well and dont eat there either - side note) Jessy I think was my servers there and over here at Cowboys. It is the lack of passion and true desire to be in service for others. It is a quality that just does not exist anymore. The reality is, when you only pay a person 2.13 an hour. You will only get 2.13 of service. Until a server is paid what they worth before the tips. Nothing is going to change. Customers are not considered number one anymore. Servers act like they are doing you a favor to eat there.
dreamer

United States

#4 Nov 26, 2012
Would be nice to turn one of those big buildings that are for sale in Court Square into some kind of country music get together place. Even though there is no alcohol sales in the city, there could still be a lot a fun to made. So much country music talent around. Good food, Good Service and great music, Maybe something that is only on the weekends just to start. Four times a month. Bring night life to BC again. Back in the day court square was the place to be! Just dreaming.

Since: May 11

Dallas, TX

#5 Nov 26, 2012
There are alcohol sales now just passed but dont know when goes in effect
fred

Keller, TX

#6 Nov 26, 2012
dreamer wrote:
Would be nice to turn one of those big buildings that are for sale in Court Square into some kind of country music get together place. Even though there is no alcohol sales in the city, there could still be a lot a fun to made. So much country music talent around. Good food, Good Service and great music, Maybe something that is only on the weekends just to start. Four times a month. Bring night life to BC again. Back in the day court square was the place to be! Just dreaming.
Country music place with no alcohol? That's kind of like gong to Church with no preacher.
Opinion

White Oak, TX

#7 Nov 26, 2012
In the know wrote:
It is unfortunate. However it is true. We need real food choices in BC. Great food Great Service with a Great atmosphere. I was there only once. There was a little girl who used to worked at another restaurant in J'Ville. Tequilla Johns.(that place is a joke as well and dont eat there either - side note) Jessy I think was my servers there and over here at Cowboys. It is the lack of passion and true desire to be in service for others. It is a quality that just does not exist anymore. The reality is, when you only pay a person 2.13 an hour. You will only get 2.13 of service. Until a server is paid what they worth before the tips. Nothing is going to change. Customers are not considered number one anymore. Servers act like they are doing you a favor to eat there.
I had Tequila Johns not long ago. I thought the food was excellent.
How cool would that be

United States

#8 Nov 26, 2012
fred wrote:
<quoted text>Country music place with no alcohol? That's kind of like gong to Church with no preacher.
Well lets do the math. Most people say this WHOLE is "The Bible Belt" The whole town is full of nothing more than stupid Christians trying to ruin everything, right? Well then since there are more Christians it wont be a problem for us to enjoy good food good friends and great music in a down home setting. Hell there is a dancing place next to Brewers. Dancing, sodas, music equals revenue. Simple math to me. Here is a brilliant idea. If you don't want to go out and eat a great meal, with great service and live country music with out the booze...well I'm thinking you don't have to go. Funny thing is Im not a religious freak. Further, I don't drink or drug it up.(for a multitude of reasons.) So for someone like me and my friends would be the perfect place to hang out for a fun venue or such. We wont have to worry about the kind of riffraff that hangs out at the country club. Country Club for the boozers and Looser, Night life on Court Square for the stupid Christian and NON boozer loosers. Simple. Merry CHRISTmas P.S. any idea that brings in any revenue is some revenue. Ooohhh, we need our booze to have a good time? Hahahah what a looser. By the way do you know what a flask is stupid? That is what drinkers/alsholics bring in there purse or coat pocket when they are teetotalers to spike their drinks. So I'm sure people can get around it. Dont kill things before they even start. Would be nice to have good clean fun for the whole family not just the select few boozers. The Country Cub hole were lawyers fight in the street beating up women, for you peace and joy for us.
How cool would that be

United States

#9 Nov 26, 2012
Should read "Whole area" typo. kill me grammar gods
Grammar God

Keller, TX

#10 Nov 26, 2012
How cool would that be wrote:
Should read "Whole area" typo. kill me grammar gods
I striketh thee down.
a friend of a friend

United States

#11 Nov 26, 2012
To Opinon

Its fair for simple Tex Mex. "Chef" John Revels that runs the place thinks hes gods gift to the human pallet.

It is NOT AUTHENTIC MEXICAN CUSINE. He uses five ingredients for almost every dish. Made into different things. Look closely at the menu. From quesadillas, taco, burritos, chimis. All prepared with the same five ingredients (other than your choice of (chicken pork or beef). All just wrapped up in different "packages"

Example 10.95 dollars for two tortillas, with a little shredded cheese, a little bell pepper, a little onion and 2 or 3 of oz of meat. Then you have to wait a hundred years for your food or refills on chips or drinks. 10.95 plus 1.95 for drink. If you want a little cheese sauce, kick in another 1.95 to 3.95 depending on size, tax and tip: 10.95 + 1.95 + 1.95 = 14.95 + tax (1.50)= 16.45. gratuity for slow service at best at the tune of 15 to 20 % 2.46 (if you use 15 %) 16.45 + 2.46 = 18.91 ish. So in my opinion a Tex Mex Quesadilla and soda to me is not worth almost 20 bucks for ony one person, plus add a guest. Ha again.$40.00 for Quesadillas? No thanks.

Further, I know people that work there. Some days they were so slow maybe five customers during lunch hour. John Revels does not meat the minimum wage standards. He does not make up the difference to meat the minimum wage of 7.25, because he told another employe he does have to. The reason??? He makes under 500 thousand a year and is not required to meet minimum wage standards according to labor laws. Can you imagine slaving a food server 20 dollars a day? I would not eat there ever again simply because of his pay wage practices. I'm sure my friend will kill me or exposing him. But I'm tired of employers taking advantage of people. Slave labor and he legally gets away with it. Call him or apply for a job. Ask him, what happens If you don't make minimum wage in a seven day period. will he make up the difference? He will say no. "I don't have to" He even charges for the employee meal. So if are lucky enough to make any tips he deducts it from your wages. No other benefits.

The one and only server during the lunch hour, is required to handle all customer needs, carry there own cash money to make change because there is no cashier and if someone does not pay the check the server is responsible, required to check and clean the toilets every 30 mins, bus, clean and set up tables, mop and sweep floors, vaccume floors, wrap silver, refill the entire servers station, scrape plates into bins. The list goes on. No, serious, just call him and apply for the job, find out how much he wants you to work for so little.

His son that is also slaved to the point of insanity while he tries to go to school full time. So when all your fancy people eat there know he does not care one iota for his employees. They put on a good face.

People know that John Reveles is the worst employer in all of Humphrey county. And every worker he has ever had, he talks crap about them behind there back.

So to recap, for 2.13, if you work at Tequilla Johns, you will be server, bus boy, cashier, toilet cleaner and slave for 2.13 and no hope of getting a complete payroll week of minimum wage. Never to meat minimum wage in a seven day period.

One more thing. He lives for positive feed back response on the web site Urban spoon. Mostly only good ones are on there. You know why you never see bad reports about his reputation and bad service practices? Because he signed up with Reputation.com to make sure no negative complaints show up on the internet. So all the negative reports that were on the "Urban Spoon" site for evaluation are gone. Its to bad his investors don't know the real deal about his rotten money hungry soul. He even puts down other restaurant owners like Jeffs Place. My friend worked there too.

So think about the next time you want some mexican food. Better of to go taco bell or Mazatlans.

When you eat a Tequila Johns you support slave labor.
shawty

Keller, TX

#12 Nov 27, 2012
Tequila Johns sucks! The food was disgusting my 3 year old wouldn't even eat it. Went there once NEVER going again. Cowboys isn't all that great either.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#13 Nov 27, 2012
Has anybody checked with the U.S. Dept. Of Labor, Wage and Hourly Division...to see if that's true about the Minimum Wage Requirement? I've never heard that before, but I'm not really that familiar with Food Server Wage Laws, either.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#14 Nov 27, 2012
Really Sassy wrote:
Has anybody checked with the U.S. Dept. Of Labor, Wage and Hourly Division...to see if that's true about the Minimum Wage Requirement? I've never heard that before, but I'm not really that familiar with Food Server Wage Laws, either.
Tips

DOL Web Pages on This Topic

A tipped employee engages in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 per month in tips. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 per hour in direct wages if that amount combined with the tips received at least equals the federal minimum wage. If the employee’s tips combined with the employer’s direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Many states, however, require higher direct wage amounts for tipped employees.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#15 Nov 27, 2012
A link to the wage issue I posted above. http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/wagestips....

Location hidden

#16 Nov 27, 2012
Marth571 wrote:
A link to the wage issue I posted above. http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/wagestips....
Thanks for posting this Link, Marth. I hope that anybody who works in the Food Service Industry will bookmark it, so they can check the Federal Laws concerning any questions they might have.

I'm wouldn't take that Mexican Restaurant Owner's word for that, "not having to pay Minimum Wage because He doesn't make a half a million annually", until I found out for sure that it's true. The Employee(s) MIGHT be eligible for back-pay, if he's not been following the Labor Laws!

Location hidden

#17 Nov 27, 2012
...I wouldn't take...
a friend of a friend

United States

#18 Nov 27, 2012
Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for posting this Link, Marth. I hope that anybody who works in the Food Service Industry will bookmark it, so they can check the Federal Laws concerning any questions they might have.
I'm wouldn't take that Mexican Restaurant Owner's word for that, "not having to pay Minimum Wage because He doesn't make a half a million annually", until I found out for sure that it's true. The Employee(s) MIGHT be eligible for back-pay, if he's not been following the Labor Laws!
Ms Sassy, thank you for you kind response. It is unfortunate, but it IS true. Moreover, people that work for so little money, by the time they leave a place like that, they just don't have the fight anymore. Tired, physically broke down and heart broken for all the service that was giving for so little return. All he does is actually legal. I want all servers that work for ANY restaurant, in the state of TN to know, that if your employer does not generate 1/2 million a year in revenue, they are not required to meet minimum wage. Simple. It is calculated in a 7 day period. Further, way of getting out of that loop hole is to make sure the employee never gets close to a "simi regular" work schedule. You think or you hope your going to work 30 to 36 hours a week (would love fourty, never usually happens in the restaurant unless your the owners son) but if he only gives you say 3 1/2 to even 4 days it protects the restaurant. Not the employee. I am full supporter of Capitalism, however, it must be implemented with common decency to the working man/woman. To add insult to injury, the young man "Manager" the (17 or 18 i think) of the owner is paid a full 40 week pay period as a "Manager" AND receives all the tips that I am sure are not reported legally. My friend saw his check. So....

Location hidden

#19 Nov 27, 2012
a friend of a friend wrote:
<quoted text>
Ms Sassy, thank you for you kind response. It is unfortunate, but it IS true. Moreover, people that work for so little money, by the time they leave a place like that, they just don't have the fight anymore. Tired, physically broke down and heart broken for all the service that was giving for so little return. All he does is actually legal. I want all servers that work for ANY restaurant, in the state of TN to know, that if your employer does not generate 1/2 million a year in revenue, they are not required to meet minimum wage. Simple. It is calculated in a 7 day period. Further, way of getting out of that loop hole is to make sure the employee never gets close to a "simi regular" work schedule. You think or you hope your going to work 30 to 36 hours a week (would love fourty, never usually happens in the restaurant unless your the owners son) but if he only gives you say 3 1/2 to even 4 days it protects the restaurant. Not the employee. I am full supporter of Capitalism, however, it must be implemented with common decency to the working man/woman. To add insult to injury, the young man "Manager" the (17 or 18 i think) of the owner is paid a full 40 week pay period as a "Manager" AND receives all the tips that I am sure are not reported legally. My friend saw his check. So....
Friend, you sound like you know, I suspect from working many years in the Food Service Industry, so I will take your word for it.
If you can tell me, I'm just curious if this "Owner's Revenue" thing is a fairly new Law or, has it been in place for a long time?
I knew that Food Service Workers were paid less than the Federal Minimum Wage and it's been that way as far back as I can remember, and it's legal because of the gratuities (tips)...but I've never known, until now, that it had anything to do with how much Revenue the Owner brought in.
I also thought that most, if not all, Owners would pay their Employees enought to make it equal to the Minimum Wage, if the Employee's Gratuities (tips) weren't enough to equal Minimum Wage each Pay Period.
a friend of a friend

United States

#20 Nov 27, 2012
Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>
Friend, you sound like you know,.
Ms Sassy,

It is true what I say. Moreover, he does not care about the employees tips or the person in general. Its kinda of like working "subcontracting".

Mr Revels expects the server to be able to receive at least 5 to 10 dollars in gratuity for every check.(lets say on a one or two person check) His opinion is if your not getting that, your a poor food service person. First, its simply not reasonable for this area period. People do not have money anymore. People in general are tight. Can it happen does it happen? Yes it does. Under the right circumstances.

It is unreasonable for any restaurant owner to expect any one person to perform several positions at one time for 2.13 an hour.

For that kind of money, the food server should only focus on the customers needs and wants. Greeting them with a warm heart, taking the ordered and making sure it is correct, bringing the food in a timely manner, returning to the table in frequent/appropriate times during the customers visit, and "pre-busing" the customers table as needed. Not worrying about losing your job if your not able to complete all the other non food related work before your shift end. Further, if your scheduled said clock out at 4, boom your done. Your not paid to do what is called "side work". His philosophy is you need to do the job of four or more people AND have it done BEFORE you clock out. The owner does not like to pay overtime.

It is beyond me why any employer would EVER have a FOOD server, EVEN cross paths with the toilet area to begin with. Huh? Personally, I do not want my server even breathing the air around a toilet let alone cleaning a whole bathroom every 30 minutes and then touch food plates. Think about it. Clean the bathroom every 30 minutes, then go and use your naked hands to dig up a pile of corn chips after you just cleaned the toilet. Really?

The customers happiness IS # one in the restaurant industry, NOT side work. If your doing all these other things, the customer is going to suffer. When the customer suffers, then the server does not receive adequate compensation. For all intensive purposes, the servers are hostages for their gratuity. Like a sub-contract kind of thing.

As a person that enjoys going out to eat, I understand the concept of gratuity. If a person wants their bellies filled, stay home and cook, order take out, go to the drive threw. However, if you want to sit down and be well cared for with excellent service be logical enough to give the proper gratuity to your server. THEY ARE SERVING YOU. The owner makes the food, but server, brings the food and drink to you and all the other amenities including tiding up and a happy spirit. 15 to 20% is customary. If you do not have the money to tip, more than likely you do not have the money to eat out a sit down restaurant.

Like I said I'm going to pay hell for this exposer, however, I was the one to hear the sorrow, grief and tears everyday of all that was going on at Tequilla Johns. Desperately trying to not to go on welfare, I haven't even touched on all the other nasty things that I know about that place. This person never made a stink, because they are the kind of person who did not want to bring down local business that produces tax revenue for the county. They just left the position with their tail between there legs in shame, while John Revels got away with slave labor. He got away with a kind of emotional murder, IMO.

So next time you have a crappy server, figure out if they are being slaved away. Might explain why you feel like they are doing you a "favor" serving you. I'm not making excesses for bad behavior, but what do you really expect for 2.13 hour? You always get what you pay for.

Being in the food service industry is an excellent career given the right circumstances.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Camden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
City employees driving city vehicles. 9 hr Jason 14
Paige kelly 13 hr Watcher 2 12
Bigfoot sightings (Jun '15) Fri Tootie Green 77
Madison smith (Feb '16) Fri Cl 10
Electric Rates (Jun '12) Fri john 9
Mrs. McClure at Briarwood (Jan '16) Fri ThaTruth 9
Calling all..... Fri ThaTruth 2

Camden Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance