Don't Trust Kershaw County Menal Health

Don't Trust Kershaw County Menal Health

Posted in the Camden Forum

Anonymous

Washington, DC

#1 May 20, 2013
Mental illnesses affect millions of people and their families. Although information, education and counseling are more available today then previously, it is still very difficult to get some people the help they need. This has recently been the case for the mother in Camden, SC. I’m writing this to share some of her story, but primarily to warn others blatant disregard for keeping informative sources confidential at the Kershaw County Mental Health facility.
Let’s start at the beginning. I’m not a doctor so I won’t even begin to guess at a diagnosis, but I have a lot of knowledge about the mental stability and suffering of a woman in Kershaw County. I was able to piece together the names and phone numbers for several law enforcement officers she had contact with in another state (after an accident) and the out-of-state mental facility where she was involuntarily committed. The report was sent from the out-of-state facility to Kershaw County Mental health facility for follow-up care.
Let’s just say that no follow-up care occurred and everyone seemed to forget about everything that has happened – all the pain, the suffering, and the accident. Knowing that something needed to be done before anyone was irreversibly harmed, I contacted local law enforcement in Camden and filed a report.
Because she finally asked for help, I provided limited details (as I am doing now) about the situation and asked to remain anonymous. I knew that the previous law enforcement reports and involuntary commitment should be enough to get her committed and the help she needed. As it turned out I was not the only one to submit a report. Local law enforcement discussed the importance of keeping those who reported anonymous with the Mental Health Director Michelle Reeder.

What happened?

The woman was asked to come in for an evaluation at Kershaw County Mental health facility. She had a two hour interview the mental health case worker and doctor then was released with some trial schizophrenic medications. Sounds good, right?
Except that during the interview those who submitted the police reports were identified to the woman!!! Everyone in Kershaw County should know that if you attempt to make an anonymous report to get someone help that the mental health facility will relay your personal information.
Kershaw County Medical Facility showed a deliberate disrespect for keeping anonymous sources secure and Michelle Reeder wouldn’t even call me back when I tried to find out why. Everyone in Camden should be cautious of “doing the right thing” or “trying to get someone help” because two hours is, obviously, not an adequate amount of time to determine someone’s mental stability.
Fortunately, for all of us the woman did NOT go home grab a gun, walk down the street and shoot the person who reported information to law enforcement in the head. However, you should all sleep soundly knowing that the next people who make a report may not be so lucky.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Camden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michael Vick:: Does the punishment fit the crime? (Apr '09) 22 hr LAWEST100 582
holy temple church of the lord jesus christ of ... (Mar '13) Wed Alonzo 1,417
News Sheriff: 4 Investigators Fired, One Performed S... (Oct '07) Aug 18 Thurmond 343
Horrible Roads Aug 16 New Resident 4
traffic Aug 16 New Resident 2
Robb Ellis WIS 10 Aug 11 jmaine 2
camden Jun '16 rosie 1

Camden Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Camden Mortgages